User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you know yourself?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm an NT

13 30.23%
  • No, I'm an NF

8 18.60%
  • Who? I'm an S

5 11.63%
  • Hehe

17 39.53%
First 1234 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

German variant:

"You shall become the person you are!"

(Friedrich Nietzsche)

---

* What does man actually know about himself? Is he, indeed, ever able to perceive himself completely, as if laid out in a lighted display case? Does nature not conceal most things from him — even concerning his own body — in order to confine and lock him within a proud, deceptive consciousness, aloof from the coils of the bowels, the rapid flow of the blood stream, and the intricate quivering of the fibers! She threw away the key.

Are designations congruent with things? Is language the adequate expression of all realities?

* The liar is a person who uses the valid designations, the words, in order to make something which is unreal appear to be real. He says, for example, "I am rich," when the proper designation for his condition would be "poor." He misuses fixed conventions by means of arbitrary substitutions or even reversals of names. If he does this in a selfish and moreover harmful manner, society will cease to trust him and will thereby exclude him. What men avoid by excluding the liar is not so much being defrauded as it is being harmed by means of fraud. Thus, even at this stage, what they hate is basically not deception itself, but rather the unpleasant, hated consequences of certain sorts of deception. It is in a similarly restricted sense that man now wants nothing but truth: he desires the pleasant, life-preserving consequences of truth. He is indifferent toward pure knowledge which has no consequences; toward those truths which are possibly harmful and destructive he is even hostilely inclined.

(...)

* There are ages in which the rational man and the intuitive man stand side by side, the one in fear of intuition, the other with scorn for abstraction. The latter is just as irrational as the former is inartistic. They both desire to rule over life: the former, by knowing how to meet his principle needs by means of foresight, prudence, and regularity; the latter, by disregarding these needs and, as an "overjoyed hero," counting as real only that life which has been disguised as illusion and beauty.

* The man who is guided by concepts and abstractions only succeeds by such means in warding off misfortune, without ever gaining any happiness for himself from these abstractions. And while he aims for the greatest possible freedom from pain, the intuitive man, standing in the midst of a culture, already reaps from his intuition a harvest of continually inflowing illumination, cheer, and redemption — in addition to obtaining a defense against misfortune. To be sure, he suffers more intensely, when he suffers; he even suffers more frequently, since he does not understand how to learn from experience and keeps falling over and over again into the same ditch.

(Über Wahrheit und Lüge im außermoralischen Sinn -1873-)
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Banned

Do you know yourself?

Far better than I'd like, harumph. I think I'd like to go back to just being acquainted with myself.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Do you have the impression that you know yourself well?
    If I were an NT I would. But I'm not.

As it is now, I'm not sure that I have a true "self," so much as merely being a mechanism that interprets, compares, and examines data from various input sources both internal and external in order to drive a psychological decision-making process I have no direct control over.

Thus, I don't know myself, because I question the concept of a single "self" being valid in the first place.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

"Hehe", I'm getting there...

I voted Hehe 'cause I'm a He and She's a she.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I know my inner self pretty well, my outer self however, the one that interacts with other people, I don't know him, he's a weirdo.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I know my inner self pretty well, my outer self however, the one that interacts with other people, I don't know him, he's a weirdo.
    +1

MBTI
    INTJ

Ever since I was young, I have been interested in knowing and understanding myself...
    and why I think and feel and act the way I do.
    To that end, MBTI has been very helpful.

I find it impossible to know myself for two reasons.

The first is that I am largely unconscious. And although I have entered a conversation with my unconscious, I am constantly surprised. I am constantly suprised by my unconscious. And I am constantly surprised by what my unconscious is.

However I am pleased to be getting to know my unconscious. And my unconscious is having quite an effect on my conscious mind.

I am though mindful that there is a social taboo about engaging in conversation with one's unconscious.

Just as there is a social taboo about engaging in open conversation itself - and to some degree we break that taboo here.

So we might say that the purpose of the internet is to make the unconscious, conscious.

And no wonder we hide this from ourselves by talking about the Information Revolution.

Information is such a neutral word, while there is nothing neutral about the unconscious.

Literacy encourages habits of thought that are disinterested and neutral, while the electronic media encourage feelings and emotions and affiliations that arise in the unconscious.

So in this new electronic age it behooves us to listen to our unconscious and engage it in conversation and civilize it.

And the second reason I find it impossible to know myself is that I am becoming.

So rather than being, I am becoming.

And as I don't know what I will become, all I can do is listen to myself as I unfold moment by moment.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    infp

yes im an nf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]