User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Life progress and money

Here's how I currently see my life:

The thing is, everything in life requires money. Once you have a reliable income, and transportation, a lot of opportunities open up that make it possible to move forward. It won't happen fast, but you can make progress.

The glitch in the system, of course, is the difficulty in procuring a job and reliable transportation in the first place. You don't have a source of monthly income, so reliable transportation is difficult to obtain. Without reliable transportation, it's difficult to get or keep a job.

Thus, this first barrier is the hardest, because it requires you to have what you're already trying to get. The opportunities and paths only open up once you've gotten the first step down.

It's like the difficulty in reaching the first step has been completely overlooked, and everything has been engineered around the assumption that everyone has already gotten on top of it.

So, I guess the question is... is there any flaw in my thinking, or is everything as impossible as it looks?

MBTI
    ISTx

Get a job somewhere within walking/biking distance, get a friend or family member to give you a ride, take cheap public transportation etc. - make money - save money - move up the ladder. It doesn't always come easy, but where there's a will, there's a way.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Get a job somewhere within walking/biking distance,
    This is what I'll try to do first. Hopefully I can get one in this area. There's a little concern about the lack of sidewalks, but maybe I can find a way to manage.

get a friend or family member to give you a ride,
    I don't have any connections to people who are in a position to do this for me. I'd probably be uncomfortable with such a consistent imposition even if I did.

take cheap public transportation etc.
    This is what I'll try to do if the first thing doesn't work out. I find it extremely intimidating, though.
    - make money - save money - move up the ladder.
    Yep, I pretty much see my way clear from that point on.

MBTI
    INTj

Owning a car is incredibly expensive. In my case, payment+insurance+gas = $1000 for the next 3 years till it's paid off. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. If the public transportation is good in your city, it will be much more cost effective.

The most important 1st step is to get the necessary education for a well paying job. Short term pain for long term gain. Then recognize the difference between wants and needs. The rest will just happen.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Well, you have a computer. You could write web content and earn some money to get started.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Owning a car is incredibly expensive. In my case, payment+insurance+gas = $1000 for the next 3 years till it's paid off. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. If the public transportation is good in your city, it will be much more cost effective.
    Yes, definitely. I really don't want to own a car if I can avoid it. The problem is that not having one limits my choice of jobs to areas on the bus route, and reduces my chances of getting to work on time consistently. The public transportation in my area isn't good.
    The most important 1st step is to get the necessary education for a well paying job. Short term pain for long term gain. Then recognize the difference between wants and needs. The rest will just happen.
    That's so not what I wanted to hear.

That just makes me want to just give up, because if I'm forced to stick to only what I need anyway, then there's hardly any point in trying to better myself.

It seems like no matter what I do, I'm going to be tied to the same limited form of life for a long, long time, and I will be pretty old before I get much more than that (and it's possible that even then, I never will). So... what's the point? I'm not even sure I want to live that long or be that old. It's really hard to find an incentive to do anything to better yourself at all if you won't even see a single tangible benefit from it for 5-10 years.

Sigh. I just can't be patient and content to wait, follow a slow path, and be old before I get anything I want out of life. I won't even be able to enjoy it much then. I suppose I should just try to enjoy my life as it is for awhile, and then... well, give up, if you know what I mean.

I can't even see why people bother with this garbage. It's all worthless, messy, boring, and slow.

MBTI
    istp

dont psych yourself out, it will take a lot of work and time, but you still deal with it on a day-by-day basis, so focus on what you can do today, even just this moment. don't let fear of failure cause you to give up, your goals are entirely possible and it's never too late!

start with something within walking distance, save up for a cheap, used efficient car (it's expensive but necessary if you want any semblance of the life you want) then find a new job within your increased travel radius that utilizes your skills in something you are good at. work hard, get a raise/promotion (or find a better job with the experience under your belt) continue until you can afford your own apartment and become self-sufficient. once you get there, id bet you will find yourself making new goals for yourself.

this is something almost every adult goes through, and part of their confidence is finding out that they could do all these things on their own, and that it's really not so bad. personally, i moved to the city when i was 18 with not much more than 1 month of rent. not going to say it was easy, but going through that experience will teach you a lot and give you a perspective you wouldn't have expected, the lives of other adults will start to make more sense.

Make money

Party

Simple.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I can't even see why people bother with this garbage. It's all worthless, messy, boring, and slow.
    I feel that way too sometimes, but the fact is, don't let yourself win. It's not worth it. You have to keep pushing, because even if it seems worthless sometimes, you'll realize someday that what really mattered was the friends you made on the way to the top, not necessarily the 'tangible' rewards that everyone seems to want.

But the only way to make friends is to get out there and try. You can't keep running from the future and hoping that it doesn't catch up to you. It catches up to everyone eventually, and you'll have to face it when it comes. So go get a job somewhere closeby, and/or go back to school, get your life together. What else are you gonna do, sit on a forum all day?
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    So, I guess the question is... is there any flaw in my thinking, or is everything as impossible as it looks?
    It's not so bad. Find a job, then get a loan based on that income in order to facilitate getting to/keeping the job.

Education is an important economic signal, but it is mostly useless in getting you the experience or knowledge you need (depending on the actual job). Any job you get will help you get out of that pattern, and if you are serious about moving forward, experience first and education second will get you farther (especially now that online courses are becoming more universal - but you have to handle work + education).

The only thing to note is that you really need to perform and work in order for this path to be successful. A lot of people take the other approach - get an education, feel entitled. That's way more stagnant. The most important thing is to work your way up - to always perform under every circumstance.