User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Homebody or nomad?

I'd ideally like to add a poll to this, so anyone who can instruct me on how to do so is welcome!

I'm interested in type and how it relates to the homebody vs nomad (not a perfect opposition, but lets go with it anyway) question.

How important are roots to you? Are you settled in one place and if so, does the thought of upping roots and moving to a new place excite or depress you? What about travel to new places?

I'll say that I'm not sure I'm very ENTJ about this. Roots are VERY important to me. In fact the only clinically depressive episode of my life (so far) was triggered by having to move out of a settled situation with my best friends and knowing we weren't going to be able to set up the same arrangement again. I need a 'home', a base, somewhere to feel secure. Moving irritates and upsets me, and moving to another city, which I have done a few times, even if I am excited about it, always has "omg! nooooo! stay put!!" baggage that comes with it.

I love traveling and have done a fair amount but on that reptile-brain there's still that part of me telling me not to leave my comfort zone, my known territory.

I think if I had lived 200 years ago, I would have been one of those people who never went more than 20 miles outside the village they were born in. So yay for modernity and airplanes!
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTP

I'm somewhere in the middle. I adore travelling, and I've never been afraid of moving. But I've also done small theatre tours where we lived out of hotels and it drove me nuts. Also, if I'm going to live somewhere for just a few months, I need my stuff around me, so it will feel like home. I love travelling, but I'm not a true gypsy type.

Something else I've determined about myself is that I really feel more at home in a house than in an apartment, and if I make it to middle or old age without having a home of my own, I shall be very depressed. Apartment living feels so depressingy temporary, like you're just squatting somewhere.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Even though I love to travel, I'd say I'm a homebody. I love my house but I don't get attached to places where it would pain me terribly to move.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

With as much as I moved in these past years I'd really like to have a place that I can call home. Haha, once I slept in my car for about a month parked on my friend's parent's lawn. Granted it was my choice not to stay in the house but... I had good reason not too. And I've gotten into the habit of calling wherever I happen to be staying "home". May that be a car, a hotel room, a house, a friend's house, or a city.

Bah, I'm moving again next week.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    How important are roots to you? Are you settled in one place and if so, does the thought of upping roots and moving to a new place excite or depress you? What about travel to new places?
    At this time in my life*, roots aren't terribly important to me. If it weren't for the fact that I bought a house, I'd almost certainly have considered moving just for a change of pace, so the idea of moving doesn't really bother me at all. Having said that, although *moving* doesn't bother me, living in a hotel/tour bus/business traveler-lifestyle would drive me nuts. It doesn't really matter so much *where* my home is, but I want to be able to go there for my comfort zone. Home is my house/apartment/etc. - not the community that it happens to sit in. I enjoy travelling to see friends/new places/new things, but I'm usually happy to get home.

* - part of this is influenced by the fact that so many of my friends live out of town or have small kids and I don't see them except for "important occasions" anyway. At one point, when I saw them all on a daily basis, this would have been a much bigger deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    I think if I had lived 200 years ago, I would have been one of those people who never went more than 20 miles outside the village they were born in. So yay for modernity and airplanes!
    Heh - I'd have been one of those people who moved across the world to build a home somewhere new. But big yay for modernity and airplanes - if you've got to live apart from friends, it sure is nice to be able to travel and see them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Nomad, here.

... Although, I can be flexible within the household, too.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I personally prefer to stay in one place if I'm happy there. I will want to travel, but I'll naturally want to stay in one place. I love having a well established home to go to.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INTP

I love to move - but not constantly be on the move (as others have mentioned).

Traveling is fine, but if I really want to explore a place, I want to live there and make a home there. I want to really understand what makes that place special, and how the people around me regard life.

That's not something one can accomplish in two weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    It's not a zero sum game. You're still a dork.

MBTI
    XXFP

I tend to move around. Having a base is nice, but anywhere can be a base. If I go out hiking, my base is my car, that sort of thing.

I tend to carry gear with me based on my plans. I might put a water bottle, a knife, a camera (a new edition to my arsenal, good for remembering the journey but also to "keep notes" by just snapping a picture instead of writing), reading material, a bike multi-tool (good for more than bikes), and some cash into a backpack (actually pretty compact) and take that in my car/wherever.

Often it just gets left in the car but it comes in handy more often than not.

I also want one of those new fancy cell phones that has internet and gps/maps so I can waste my money and look cool doing it live life on the go by being able to run quick google searches on stuff I want to buy/things I want to know.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I move around like it's going out of style. I keep an empty apartments and basically get rid of anything that won't fit in a suitcase or two. But when I reach my destination, I'm somewhat of a homebody until the next move. I have businesses based in NY, so I always end up coming back here regularly, but before that I never once thought about 'roots'.