User Tag List

First 123

Thread: My disclaimer

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    So no I am not intentionally trying to make it appear complex. Truth is the most beautiful when stated simply in as few words as possible.
    Putting the issue of "sounding smart" aside...

In some ways I find complex words more adequately describe what I'm trying to say. But now I realize it doesn't always work. Words... any word... will always be associated with self-concepts that are not shared by other people. For example the word "awesome" shall always remain in reserve for me because of my first-year experience in university. Truth is the best when it is explained in the fewest words possible... wouldn't it be so much nicer if those few words are "simple"? That way everybody can understand... take from it however they wish. Link it towards their own experiences into something that is meaningful to them. Such ideas will remain with them for far longer than overly flowery language that merely confuses them.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I am puzzled that you as an INTP, granted that you are one really think that. Wouldnt it be more natual for an N to use big words than simple ones, because we are abstract thinkers? And what about the Ti need for accuracy in thought, maybe vituperative depicts the idea better than a simpler word? There is a fine line between the usage of big words to better convey complex ideas with accuracy and using them just to sound smart.

So no I am not intentionally trying to make it appear complex. Truth is the most beautiful when stated simply in as few words as possible.
    well, there are two considerations: You are trying to (1) describe truth (2) to another human being.

You seem to fixated on the first. Which is fine if you are writing a book just to record truth for no one in particular, but if you are actively engaged in a conversation, you have to be speaking a language your listener can understand. The goal now shifts -- you are not just trying to be as "accurate" as possible, you are trying to get someone else to grasp your idea. In that case, it makes more sense to have them get in the ballpark with you, and then you can worry about further specifications later.

(make sense?)

This seems to be more of a shift in INTP priorities. Starting out as a loner, we can afford to focus merely on the nuance. But as we move towards sharing ideas, we have to ease up some at first and worry about communication, and then take it further if we can with an audience that can appreciate the nuance.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Dansker View Post
    I thought Solitary Walker may have been you.

MBTI Central just wouldn't be the same without you, Seawolf.
    Absolutely.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I am puzzled that you as an INTP, granted that you are one really think that. Wouldnt it be more natual for an N to use big words than simple ones, because we are abstract thinkers? And what about the Ti need for accuracy in thought, maybe vituperative depicts the idea better than a simpler word? There is a fine line between the usage of big words to better convey complex ideas with accuracy and using them just to sound smart.

Accuracy of communication is important to me but I understand that the accuracy does not finsh with me saying the words, as Fortunato has stated. The accuracy lies within the listener. If the message is distorted in their head then the communication is inaccurate within the specifics of that particular dynamic (not there is probably a word for such a concept but merely stating that would mean that many would then have to research the word etc etc).

Basically the most brilliant of minds can describe quantum physics to children and have them understand. Accuracy does not rely on big words but on drawing the right concepts and pictures in the subjects mind. Yes I do see your point but I think your taking it to extremes and it ends up smaking of arrogance the same way those people who use "gangsta" or street style language permanently do. It says look at me not look at my idea and I don't think that this is good for you.

Another facet to consider is that when your writing if people have to look up words then the rythm of what you were saying is lost. Any nuances or implied meanings are lost as the reader is divorced from the context to research the words then must return to put the context back in. As such I have read a few of your posts and due to missing the rythm and the context out have finished up with the understanding of your post which can be stated simply as "a simple and basic idea stated using big fancy words". I'm fairly sure your a much smarter person than that, I think however that the style of writing that you choose doesn't do you justice.

More words, less looking stuff up is good in my book. I can read quite quickly but research takes time.

(Hopefully this doesn't come across wrong as you've show yourself to be a nice guy. It's this one thing which I'm saying I consider a problem and not you personally.)
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Accuracy of communication is important to me but I understand that the accuracy does not finsh with me saying the words, as Fortunato has stated. The accuracy lies within the listener. If the message is distorted in their head then the communication is inaccurate within the specifics of that particular dynamic (not there is probably a word for such a concept but merely stating that would mean that many would then have to research the word etc etc).

Basically the most brilliant of minds can describe quantum physics to children and have them understand. Accuracy does not rely on big words but on drawing the right concepts and pictures in the subjects mind. Yes I do see your point but I think your taking it to extremes and it ends up smaking of arrogance the same way those people who use "gangsta" or street style language permanently do. It says look at me not look at my idea and I don't think that this is good for you.

Another facet to consider is that when your writing if people have to look up words then the rythm of what you were saying is lost. Any nuances or implied meanings are lost as the reader is divorced from the context to research the words then must return to put the context back in. As such I have read a few of your posts and due to missing the rythm and the context out have finished up with the understanding of your post which can be stated simply as "a simple and basic idea stated using big fancy words". I'm fairly sure your a much smarter person than that, I think however that the style of writing that you choose doesn't do you justice.

More words, less looking stuff up is good in my book. I can read quite quickly but research takes time.

(Hopefully this doesn't come across wrong as you've show yourself to be a nice guy. It's this one thing which I'm saying I consider a problem and not you personally.)
    I still stand by my claim that I actually try to communicate as simply as possible, yet sometimes accurate thinking takes priority, never do I try to say something that is really simple in a complicated fashion. The only time when this happens is when accuracy of thought takes priority over clarity of communication.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I still stand by my claim that I actually try to communicate as simply as possible, yet sometimes accurate thinking takes priority, never do I try to say something that is really simple in a complicated fashion. The only time when this happens is when accuracy of thought takes priority over clarity of communication.
    That's the same reason for why I usually include several ifs, buts, whens and maybes.

All I'm saying is that if there is a simple way of saying things then perhaps that'd be best done first before the illustration of points and the details of the points are made. It makes the whole thing more readable and more logical to follow.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?