User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

i swing my arms mostly when i walk, but sometimes i stop doing it. it looks pretty creepy when a person is walking without swinging their arms, almost robotic. i guess the way the mind perceives this is the same as those features that go into the uncanny valley. you become less human by not swinging your arms when walking.

i sometimes try and see if other people notice it and try to interpret their expressions when they see it. it would be interesting to get data on this.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

MBTI
    NICE

your resident asshole

Whenever I'm walking, I like to be carrying something in one arm so that I don't look awkward swinging my arms about. Standing still is even more awkward. I usually feel the need to put my arms somewhere like crossing them or putting them on my hips.

I totally dont know what to do with my arms and I often bang my hands onto walls and such as I walk by.

I actually have a genetic collegen disorder called erhlers-danlos-hypermobility type. Not real noticable except I am very flexible, but I guess it causes your limbs to grow just a bit longer than your true genetic map says they should. So we tend to be clumsy as our brains think our arms ended an inch before they actually do.

Messes up the brain-body map just a bit, and makes for lots of stubbed toes and wacked fingers.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics

I sometimes get thoughts like this. I do a mental check -

Is anyone looking? No.
    Does it matter if they say anything? I can always tell them off.
    Do other people look just as dumb? Yes.
    I could be running. Yes, yes you could.
    You're talking to yourself. Yes, yes you are. You should get on with your day.

And I promptly forget about it.

But otherwise yes, I've had this feeling more than once.
    ESTP - Definition: "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target a 120 km away, with an aratech sniper rifle and tri-light scope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    IXFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    I am now addicted to that song.

I have a roller back pack and I usually either hold the handle with one hand and put the other in my pocket or hold the backpack with both hands when walking.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post

Does anybody else find their arms awkward when they are out and about? ie "are my hands supposed to swing this way or that, should I tuck them in my pockets, do they look odd swinging in this particular way, or can everyone tell I have no idea what a normal arm swing should look like"?

I'm sure some of the women here have felt something similar when they have left their handbag at home, and a feeling of nakedness ensues. Well it's the feeling of nakedness + 1.
    I am always struck by arm confusion when I go out, it's really annoying to spend a few minutes sending the wrong signals to my arms.
    I feel the same way.. My arms are unusually long, wrists unproportionally skinnier than mah hands; it's awkward.

I think the person with the most unusual moves would be Gumby:

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I don't like how different arm positions, and any body positions, have all these supposed signals that they are suppose to be sending. It's the worst when people attach a specific emotion to whatever body movement you do.
    YES. Walking isn't a problem for me, but I suddenly become really conscious of what my arms are doing when I'm talking to someone. "I can't cross them, they'll think I'm defensive. I can't put them in my pockets, I'll look like I'm hiding something. I can't put them on my hips, that looks disrespectful. I can't just let them just hang...it feels weird. So I end up fidgeting the entire time, which makes me look more nervous than I actually am, or like I'm bored with whatever they're saying, which I'm usually not. FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Banned

Damn this thread!! I spent the entirety of both my trips to and from campus yesterday trying to figure out if the various positions I had my arms in were the "right" ones.:steam:

I fear I will never walk with peace of mind again.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Damn this thread!! I spent the entirety of both my trips to and from campus yesterday trying to figure out if the various positions I had my arms in were the "right" ones.:steam:

I fear I will never walk with peace of mind again.
    don't worry, give me a few weeks to think up another thread about another physical thing and your focus will shift from the arms to the new issue.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari