User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think same-sex marriage should be legal?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I'm an NF.

48 35.56%
  • Yes and I'm an NT.

51 37.78%
  • Yes and I'm an SP.

10 7.41%
  • Yes and I'm an SJ.

4 2.96%
  • No and I'm an NF.

5 3.70%
  • No and I'm an NT.

4 2.96%
  • No and I'm an SP.

2 1.48%
  • No and I'm an SJ.

7 5.19%
  • I don't know and I'm an NF.

2 1.48%
  • I don't know and I'm an NT.

1 0.74%
  • I don't know and I'm an SP.

1 0.74%
  • I don't know and I'm an SJ.

0 0%
First 5678917 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Taxation without representation is wrong. Gay people pay equal taxes. and must have equal rights!
    INtP...RCUEI primary I...5w4...INTp... ILI...The Artist Formerly Known As Car!ssa

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    Puhleese....the slippery slope arguments are old (literally and metaphorically) and have been well decimated elsewhere.

Jennifer, what you said about standards makes the most sense. Making gay marriage a reality (whether in the form of civil unions for everyone or just opening up marriage to gay people) does not take away essential standards -- okay only between consenting adults. Where do goats come in? How do we register Or children?

Really people ? Pedophilia as an argument against gay marriage, really? Bestiality as an argument, really? Why would sensible standards of consenting adults suddenly be dropped because gay people are allowed the same access to this institution.

Also, opening up marriage to gay people does not automatically impinge on the rights of religious institutions to decide who they can marry. Those are not the same thing. Religious institutions get to decide which heterosexual couple they endorse (Catholic churches and interviews, for example or this idea of pre-marriage counseling being mandatory in some churches). They have all kinds of ways of saying no and they will and nobody is suggesting that they won't be able to do so after legalization.

Also, really, which gay person would want to go get married in a completely non accepting church? Yeah, that's my idea of a good time. Because coming out and being accepted by society in general was SO EASY and SO MUCH FUN, let's now go find a completely non-accepting church and get married there. Just to make it interesting for them. Good times.

There are churches and other religious organizations that endorse gay marriages right now - these should be recognized as legal. It is a question of civil rights of consenting adult citizens who meet their responsibilities (taxes, voting) and are yet treated differently and unequally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Sigh. The problem is that the fear of pedofilism is causing people to make a connection that doesn't exist. Fear of something just about everyone disapproves of is being used as an irrational excuse to prohibit same-sex marriage. This is the typical flaw of that style of thinking -- bad Ne makes connections that aren't realistic, because the various possibilities cannot be weighed and prioritized accurately.

The same crap is happening to transpeople now, the religious right can't seem to prohibit legal protections for transpeople so now one of their major talking points is how "men will be allowed to dress up like women and molest your daughters in the public bathroom." No kidding -- this crap is actually what is being said, despite the fact that there's far less chance a transwoman would ever want to harm a child (the maternal instincts are only increased), while there's a far better chance statistically for a white conservative male to molest one's daughter.

The irrational fears do not match up with actual reality, but people continue to act off the irrationality. I can try to respect those opposed to gay marriage, but not if it's based on a supposition like this one.

yes, I've heard that one from gay friends. Even with church attendance, they get nothing out of a community that will look at them as second-class citizens in terms of ministry opportunities as well as restrict their ability to bring up their same-sex spouse for prayer or share blessings they've experienced in marriage, for example -- they just are not free to be accepted in those environments, so they certainly do not want to force themselves in where they are not wanted.
    too long.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

too long.
    Have that attention problem looked at, my friend.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    Have that attention problem looked at, my friend.

i wouldnt remember abt it tomorrow.

MBTI
    IXFP
    Enneagram

I'm totally fine with gay marriage. I'm really confused about what people are so
    afraid of. It's very funny to me. I saw the funniest ad against gay marriage the other day.
    something about a storm of gayness

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

oh that produced a hilarious lil visual scene in my head...my god...it reminds me of the ads they used to play in the 50's about how smoking marijuana cigarettes would make you some crazed sex fiend thief crazy person...come on people!!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

History repeats this story a lot. Not sure which people notice and which don`t, but it normally goes something like church whinges, society jumps on board or rebels against, things slowly move to a point where the stupidity of it all is obvious, someone acts, eventually the law is passed, society accepts it (some quicker than others), we look back at the conflict in history classes and say WTF.

BTW, I think the position some of society takes on homosexuals is a joke. Like are we really that disconnected that we can`t see it from the other side? or imagine what it is like being in the position that people`s stubborness puts these people in? To put it simply, someone is a certain way, you as a group are telling them to not be this way, or that they have restrictions in life because they are this way. If they are harming something, your objections can be valid. If they are harming nothing, the act of taking away liberty and freedom of an individual because you have an inability to accept difference should class as a criminal act. Most other times you do it, it is. You get life once. They get life once. You don`t, and should never get the right to destroy another`s chance to live it.
    Last edited by BlueScreen; 05-21-2009 at 06:53 AM.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nasmoe View Post
    ... I saw the funniest ad against gay marriage the other day. something about a storm of gayness
    Yup. Pretty much everything I said above: "OMG IMPENDING DOOM THE CULTURE WILL BE DESTROYED!"

I think it only plays well in the really right-wing segments, they're losing moderates (and Gen Y and younger) over that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    oh that produced a hilarious lil visual scene in my head...my god...it reminds me of the ads they used to play in the 50's about how smoking marijuana cigarettes would make you some crazed sex fiend thief crazy person...come on people!!
    yeah, "Amazon Women on the Moon" spoofed one of those public service messages -- the fear tactics included someone turning into the Wolfman (because of smoking cigarettes) and being locked in a dungeon for the rest of his life, and someone else crashing their car off a high cliff due to losing their sight due to STDs.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yup. Pretty much everything I said above: "OMG IMPENDING DOOM THE CULTURE WILL BE DESTROYED!"

I think it only plays well in the really right-wing segments, they're losing moderates (and Gen Y and younger) over that one.
    When an argument against a position is only effective if it makes a false connection to inspire the most fear possible, it says a lot about the integrity of the original position. It really can't be argued against on its own merits. It is an example of flagrant prejudice. There is not a rational or ethical position that can firmly make a case against gay marriage. It is too clearly within the rights of an individual citizen in a democracy.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think it only plays well in the really right-wing segments, they're losing moderates over that one.
    Yeah, I think the Right has to ease off social conservatism again if they want the Republican party to be viable, the new generations coming of age have little interest in it.