User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think same-sex marriage should be legal?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I'm an NF.

48 35.56%
  • Yes and I'm an NT.

51 37.78%
  • Yes and I'm an SP.

10 7.41%
  • Yes and I'm an SJ.

4 2.96%
  • No and I'm an NF.

5 3.70%
  • No and I'm an NT.

4 2.96%
  • No and I'm an SP.

2 1.48%
  • No and I'm an SJ.

7 5.19%
  • I don't know and I'm an NF.

2 1.48%
  • I don't know and I'm an NT.

1 0.74%
  • I don't know and I'm an SP.

1 0.74%
  • I don't know and I'm an SJ.

0 0%
First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ravana View Post
    then why did you come to this thread in the 1st place if you care less?
    cuz it's a great thread to pick up guys in, silly.

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

read again.

then why did you come to this thread in the 1st place if you care less?
    Read again.

"In first place", I was suggesting an additional option to be added to the poll choices.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Actually, I usually only hear these sorts of arguments from ISxJ types, and some ESxJ's, if I had to generalize -- "The country is going down the tubes because our proper way of life is changing and we think for the worst." Fatalism is one of the natural weaknesses of the mindset.
    we have to think for the worst. how else could we be prepared for worst case scenarios? we can't always be like "you know what i don't care. we shouldn't be afraid of change. change is good. it is always good. blah blah".

change is good. but not always.

i guess i better run off and hide now.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

we have to think for the worst. how else could we be prepared for worst case scenarios? we can't always be like "you know what i don't care. we shouldn't be afraid of change. change is good. it is always good. blah blah".
    Except that in these situations, fear of the unknown -> expecting the worst to happen -> tendency to fight ANY change just because it's change, rather than because it's the best option overall, big picture.

Actually my opinion is that sometimes change is bad, but rigid stability is death as well -- you can't grow, explore, and change for the better. So a complete refusal to change, primarily driven out of fear, is as bad as thoughtless change.

You have to properly assess the situation, evaluate TRUE risk rather than imagined risk, then manage it as appropriate balanced against the need to engage life enthusiastically so as to make the most of your existence.

So no, I don't think all change is good just because it's change; that would be silly.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Riva

Actually, I usually only hear these sorts of arguments from ISxJ types, and some ESxJ's

i wanna be an ENTP

don't tell bluemonday or Zarc about me. i am dead meat. those girls are the typology GESTAPO, if you know what i mean.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I don't know.

I would've voted for "I don't care," but that wasn't an option.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I don't know.

I would've voted for "I don't care," but that wasn't an option.

rofl

Riva

Except that in these situations, fear of the unknown -> expecting the worst to happen -> tendency to fight ANY change just because it's change, rather than because it's the best option overall, big picture.
    it is not fear of the unknown. We have seen what happens when things get out of hand.

it is not any change. it is only a specific change.(you should understand that i am talking abt pedophilia all along and not gay marriages).

i actually voted for gay marriages,
    but i at the same time think that gay marriage guys have some serious arguments going on other than religious ban on gay marriages.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Puhleese....the slippery slope arguments are old (literally and metaphorically) and have been well decimated elsewhere.

Jennifer, what you said about standards makes the most sense. Making gay marriage a reality (whether in the form of civil unions for everyone or just opening up marriage to gay people) does not take away essential standards -- okay only between consenting adults. Where do goats come in? How do we register a goat's consent or that of children?

Really people ? Pedophilia as an argument against gay marriage, really? Bestiality as an argument, really? Why would sensible standards of consenting adults suddenly be dropped because gay people are allowed the same access to this institution.

Also, opening up marriage to gay people does not automatically impinge on the rights of religious institutions to decide who they can marry. Those are not the same thing. Religious institutions get to decide which heterosexual couple they endorse (Catholic churches and interviews, for example or this idea of pre-marriage counseling being mandatory in some churches). They have all kinds of ways of saying no and they will and nobody is suggesting that they won't be able to do so after legalization.

Also, really, which gay person would want to go get married in a completely non accepting church? Yeah, that's my idea of a good time. Because coming out and being accepted by society in general was SO EASY and SO MUCH FUN, let's now go find a completely non-accepting church and get married there. Just to make it interesting for them. Good times.

There are churches and other religious organizations that endorse gay marriages right now - these should be recognized as legal. It is a question of civil rights of consenting adult citizens who meet their responsibilities (taxes, voting) and are yet treated differently and unequally.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

it is not fear of the unknown. We have seen what happens when things get out of hand.

it is not any change. it is only a specific change.(you should understand that i am talking abt pedophilia all along and not gay marriages).
    Sigh. The problem is that the fear of pedofilism is causing people to make a connection that doesn't exist. Fear of something just about everyone disapproves of is being used as an irrational excuse to prohibit same-sex marriage. This is the typical flaw of that style of thinking -- bad Ne makes connections that aren't realistic, because the various possibilities cannot be weighed and prioritized accurately.

The same crap is happening to transpeople now, the religious right can't seem to prohibit legal protections for transpeople so now one of their major talking points is how "men will be allowed to dress up like women and molest your daughters in the public bathroom." No kidding -- this crap is actually what is being said, despite the fact that there's far less chance a transwoman would ever want to harm a child (the maternal instincts are only increased), while there's a far better chance statistically for a white conservative male to molest one's daughter.

The irrational fears do not match up with actual reality, but people continue to act off the irrationality. I can try to respect those opposed to gay marriage, but not if it's based on a supposition like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    Also, really, which gay person would want to go get married in a completely non accepting church? Yeah, that's my idea of a good time. Because coming out and being accepted by society in general was SO EASY and SO MUCH FUN, let's now go find a completely non-accepting church and get married there. Just to make it interesting for them. Good times.
    yes, I've heard that one from gay friends. Even with church attendance, they get nothing out of a community that will look at them as second-class citizens in terms of ministry opportunities as well as restrict their ability to bring up their same-sex spouse for prayer or share blessings they've experienced in marriage, for example -- they just are not free to be accepted in those environments, so they certainly do not want to force themselves in where they are not wanted.