User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think same-sex marriage should be legal?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I'm an NF.

    48 35.56%
  • Yes and I'm an NT.

    51 37.78%
  • Yes and I'm an SP.

    10 7.41%
  • Yes and I'm an SJ.

    4 2.96%
  • No and I'm an NF.

    5 3.70%
  • No and I'm an NT.

    4 2.96%
  • No and I'm an SP.

    2 1.48%
  • No and I'm an SJ.

    7 5.19%
  • I don't know and I'm an NF.

    2 1.48%
  • I don't know and I'm an NT.

    1 0.74%
  • I don't know and I'm an SP.

    1 0.74%
  • I don't know and I'm an SJ.

    0 0%
First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 258

  1. #21
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I believe in civil unions for everyone, and that marriage should not be the business of government. I guess I will vote yes, since I think that homosexual couples (two otherwise unattached adults) should get the same legal benefits as heterosexual couples.
    came here to post this verbatim

    Some sort of arrangement where the church "marriage" and the government "civil union" are conducted at the same time would likely be the norm, but they should officially be kept separate.

  2. #22
    Riva
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I believe in civil unions for everyone, and that marriage should not be the business of government.
    i think in England they came to this conclusion that the sex life of people is not the business of the government. wise move

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Yep. It's a civil rights violation that it isn't.
    no it is not a civil rights violation. gay marriages would be a VIOLATION of the law. going and getting married anyway despite it being against the law is called breaking the law.

    you'll be the VIOLATOR not the other way around.

    BUT I AM NOT AGAINST GAY MARRIAGES.
    but your argument is wrong. i am just pointing it out.

  3. #23
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I think it should be legal. However, I think we should leave the church outside of this, and not force it upon them to alter their damn bible. It would be like raising the white flag and surrendering their arms. I understand both the religious people and the gay people who wants to get married, I just think it's not compatible to have gay marriages in church when the very foundation of the christianity is against it.
    The problem is that in the States, churches (i.e., pastors) can and do legally marry people and in fact is probably the norm. We have spillover between religious organizations and legal processes.

    I'm cool with having legally recognized marriages, while churches can choose based on their own beliefs whether or not they will recognize those marriages as official. I'm not sure of any other way to do it that seems fair both in the sense of not endorsing a particular religious faith and yet giving religions freedom to dictate their own beliefs.

    I do have issue with "the very foundation of Christianity" is against it. Some denoms are against it, other denoms are either okay or becoming okay with it because how they decide what Christianity "says" differs than with the other ones. I know a lot of gay Christians who are more loving and "Christian" than het Christians. People are always going to argue theology, but fruit is fruit.

    Quote Originally Posted by ravana View Post
    no it is not a civil rights violation. gay marriages would be a VIOLATION of the law. going and getting married anyway despite it being against the law is called breaking the law.
    I think that's sort of what happened in regard to racial civil rights in the 50's though, correct? People "broke the law" in order to draw attention to the violations of the rights of American citizens.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #24
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    I haven't heard a strong argument against allowing gay marriage.

    And it's a weak idea that we should take civil marriage, label it as something else, let same-sex couples qualify for it, give them all the benefits of marriage, but not the benefit and dignity of actually calling it marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Opposition to court decisions mandating the legalization of gay marriage is not the same as opposition to legalized gay marriage-there are very good reasons to be opposed to the former, and no reason (that withstands objective scrutiny) to be opposed to the latter.
    So for instance, in the Iowa court case, where a few same-sex couples were denied marriage licenses and sued, the ruling found their state law restricting marriage to between a man and woman violated Iowa's constitution, is there anything you oppose about that?

  5. #25
    Riva
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I haven't heard a strong argument against allowing gay marriage.
    you are right.
    come to think of it if it goes like that people could argue against gay marriages this way.

    1st - gay marriages
    Then what? if people keep on fighting for rights such as these there is no end to the possibilities opportunists could gain.

  6. #26
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ravana View Post
    1st - gay marriages
    Then what? if people keep on fighting for rights such as these there is no end to the possibilities opportunists could gain.
    I know. Maybe someone will want to marry a goat or a rock or a tulip next time. (That happens in Amsterdam, since they are so permissive there.)

    Gotta love the slippy slope strategy.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  7. #27
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ravana View Post
    you are right.
    come to think of it if it goes like that people could argue against gay marriages this way.

    1st - gay marriages
    Then what? if people keep on fighting for rights such as these there is no end to the possibilities opportunists could gain.
    Who is going to be fighting for the right for people to marry their cat or their couch or something else ridiculous? Things like that just don't get much support. So it's a weak argument.

  8. #28
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Agreed.
    Btw, and I don't know how it works in America and other countries, I think married gay couples should have the exact same fiscal benefits as any couple without children. No more, no less. Potential to "build a family" is nothing to go by, unless you want to check if either member of every heterosexual couple is sterile.
    yeah...agree with both of these too.

    It's getting harder and harder to find faults in your arguments Edgar.
    and yeah....totally sounds gay! haha!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    No matter how profligately it may seem, governments should not have any say whatsoever about what consenting adults are permitted to do sexually and romantically. Personally, Falcarius is against not only homosexuality but also same-sex marriage, yet he believes adults should be allowed to do what they want as long as it does not effect him; same-sex marriage does not effect him in any way.




    Was that a freudian slip or what?
    and some god reasons! hahaha!!!

    but yeah really, it's quite ridiculous and even more ridiculous how difficult it is for a gay couple to adopt. with all the children that need families...the whole thing seems very backwards and unsophisticated. it's embarrassing that it's even an issue.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  9. #29
    Riva
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I know. Maybe someone will want to marry a goat or a rock or a tulip next time. (That happens in Amsterdam, since they are so permissive there.)

    Gotta love the slippy slope strategy.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Who is going to be fighting for the right for people to marry their cat or their couch or something else ridiculous? Things like that just don't get much support. So it's a weak argument.
    HOW ABOUT a 10 year old girl to a 50 year old man.

    HUH????????????

    Pedophilia.

  10. #30
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ravana View Post
    HOW ABOUT a 10 year old girl to a 50 year old man.

    HUH????????????

    Pedophilia.
    I think that you know that that's totally different.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Similar Threads

  1. What way do you think the former USA will be carved up?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-31-2017, 05:09 PM
  2. What MBTI type do you think is the hardest to be?
    By OrangeAppled in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 02:04 AM
  3. What MBTI type do you think is the EASIEST to be?
    By Such Irony in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 09:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO