User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think same-sex marriage should be legal?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I'm an NF.

48 35.56%
  • Yes and I'm an NT.

51 37.78%
  • Yes and I'm an SP.

10 7.41%
  • Yes and I'm an SJ.

4 2.96%
  • No and I'm an NF.

5 3.70%
  • No and I'm an NT.

4 2.96%
  • No and I'm an SP.

2 1.48%
  • No and I'm an SJ.

7 5.19%
  • I don't know and I'm an NF.

2 1.48%
  • I don't know and I'm an NT.

1 0.74%
  • I don't know and I'm an SP.

1 0.74%
  • I don't know and I'm an SJ.

0 0%
First 1523242526 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

I voted yes. No, the church shouldn't be forced to do something they believe is wrong, but yes, homosexuals have a right to all the legal, social etc. benefits of marriage. I can't really get that worked up about this, maybe because I'm 1)Canadian (and it's already legal here), 2)I'm not gay and 3)in the west, the legalization of gay marriage does have an air of inevitability about it. It's gonna happen - it *is* happening.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    ^ What she said...

That being said I think many, though not all, children require the loving attention of two parents comprising the masculine and the feminine... We see this in the case of single-parent homes or in homes where a lack of strong, supportive parental influences can damage youth... I think that's true of any family structure though. The question is whether or not homosexual partnerships are doomed from the start due to the lack of duality (masculine and feminine), although one could argue that this duality also exists in these kinds of relationships.

Couple that with the complexity that the state allowing gay marriage sanctions the practice of homosexuality, which doesn't set well with some individuals for various reasons, and you have a whole other set of factors.

*shrugs* I don't know...
    Does this mean that two masculine people, or two feminine people, who happen to comprise a straight couple, should not be allowed to marry and have children?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    This is a stubborn little myth.

Divorce Rate: It's Not as High as You Think

Ok...40%. It's not as high as I thought, but it's still high.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Ok...40%. It's not as high as I thought, but it's still high.
    It's still lower... I think about 1/3 is right. The reason why it is so hard to measure is because of the time difference (ie: we don't know what current conditions will cause for another 30 years, whereas we are measuring the effect from 30 years ago).

What is a much better gauge is how happy and stable the family life is, and suffice to say, 50% is at the optimistic end of those measurements. Or, put another way, if 1/3 of current marriages dissolve, all you are measuring is the tail end when things are bad enough that they split. Chances are another 1/3 of them are in various states of 'not happy but not that bad'.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    Also, thanks for calling the entire community prison b****es. We sure do appreciate it :-).
    That's just funny.

Since YOUR INTERPRETATION of the bible is just right and there's no other interpretation possible - such a logical view and so open to discussion. I will not question your belief system. Not being able to question it implies that it is so weak and there is so much fear associated with questioning it because it may all just fall apart on questioning.
    I never said that you are not able to question my belief system. I believe in free will, so why would I stop someone from questioning what I believe? You might want to look at my posts again.

However, I do have a request. Please do not paint God in your own narrow image as a selfish (only allow people into heaven who accept that he/she is the only God), narrow-minded and completely lacking compassion God (only straight people who were born in countries where Christianity was preached and followed and were naturally blessed with desires for the opposite sex get to be people of faith and go to this lovely heaven).
    "There is none other God but one." I Corinthians 8:4

Let's try a counterfactual. Since you believe that the bible is just right and there is no questioning it. Also, such a believer in free will that you are, try empathy. Try putting yourself in the shoes of those you ask to change what to them is a basic desire, similar to your own.
    I never asked anyone to change. We all have free will, so we all suffer the consequences or reap the benefits of our decisions.

Let's imagine the world reversed. It's a world where God made heterosexuals the norm and one interpretation of the bible (I will continue to belabor this point as previous posters have with a strict reading really implying male rape of other males) would have said that heterosexuality would be wrong. No discussion. Simply wrong. Now you live in a world where what you know as an innate desire is against what society sees as the prevailing set of beliefs. Would you be able to use your most endearing form of free will and suppress your desire to be with people of the opposite gender? Please answer this honestly and do think about it because what you are asking of the gay community is a very profound suppression of desires and rejection of their path towards pursuing happiness. This implies that you not only suppress your heterosexual desires but perhaps go through a course at a local church in practising homosexual desires. Try dating a homosexual or two because the world has decided that's how you should live. How does your life look now? And remember, some people are okay with you having sex with your girlfriend/boyfriend but please don't flaunt it in public, don't hang out with children and don't even THINK about making your commitment public and trying to get the same rights as your homosexual brethren because that is simply wrong.

I know this is a tricky question ---
    If you answer yes to being able to "control" your desire for the opposite gender then you have either
    1. said yes to a life of celibacy or
    2. just confessed to bisexual desires. Nice, examine that.

If you said no to being able to control your desires, then please have a little more empathy for the LGBT community and a little better understanding of human desire. That's not too much to ask for.
    Again, I never asked anyone to do anything.
    "Your voice is like chocolate...dreamy."
    --WildHorses

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Warm View Post
    That's my point. Just because people CAN choose to give in to homosexual desires doesn't mean they should.
    Are you not in fact suggesting that gay people should not give in to their desires and thus alter their behavior? I'm just taking what you said to its logical conclusion. I rest my case. You said it best in your own words.

Also, when you say something is just wrong and are not willing to examine why then it is in fact not engaging in a questioning of your own beliefs and letting other people know that they shouldn't either.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Actually, I don't. To me, "family" is the arbitrary excuse people use to demand that I write them cards at specific times during the year, value their opinion, and help them out when they need it, while offering nothing in return.

In other words, they're basically strangers, but they use some arbitrary connection to claim I should value their feelings and welfare. Ironically, I care more about most strangers than my family, because they try to relate to me as an individual and engage in give and take. They usually don't show up randomly with a bunch of arbitrary demands and expectations, and then walk off and forget about me soon afterwards.

Despite what everyone says about the beauty and value of family, I've never had any trouble dismissing those leeches the same way I would anyone treated me that way, and it annoys me when people tell me I'm wrong to do so. I pretty much despise people who say family is meaningful, and generally dismiss them out of hand. I think society would be better without the whole idea of family permeating things. I know that few entertain or express such ideas, though, because most people are like dogs... hopelessly loyal even when mistreated. I'm more like a cat.
    Well... It's unfortunate that you have that kind of relationship with your family. That doesn't resemble mine at all.

I pretty much despise people who say family is meaningful, and generally dismiss them out of hand.
    That's not very nice.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Well... It's unfortunate that you have that kind of relationship with your family. That doesn't resemble mine at all.
    Either that, or you probably see that kind of behavior in a completely different light to the point that you wouldn't even see what I saw in it.

That's not very nice.
    Neither is declaring something meaningful arbitrarily. As far as I'm concerned, they were mean first, I just reacted.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Either that, or you probably see that kind of behavior in a completely different light to the point that you wouldn't even see what I saw in it.

Neither is declaring something meaningful arbitrarily. As far as I'm concerned, they were mean first, I just reacted.
    You don't know the nature or motives of the relationship with my family. What's the point in trying to make implications on something you don't know anything about?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    You don't know the nature or motives of the relationship with my family.
    I didn't claim to. I meant that I dismissed the ones who said or implied I should value my family. Not the ones who said they valued theirs.
    What's the point in trying to make implications on something you don't know anything about?
    Well, that's just how my mind works. I always find myself making assumptions to fill in the gaps when I'm short of data. It has led to some embarrassing moments and created a few misunderstandings.