User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think same-sex marriage should be legal?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I'm an NF.

    48 35.56%
  • Yes and I'm an NT.

    51 37.78%
  • Yes and I'm an SP.

    10 7.41%
  • Yes and I'm an SJ.

    4 2.96%
  • No and I'm an NF.

    5 3.70%
  • No and I'm an NT.

    4 2.96%
  • No and I'm an SP.

    2 1.48%
  • No and I'm an SJ.

    7 5.19%
  • I don't know and I'm an NF.

    2 1.48%
  • I don't know and I'm an NT.

    1 0.74%
  • I don't know and I'm an SP.

    1 0.74%
  • I don't know and I'm an SJ.

    0 0%
First 122021222324 Last

Results 211 to 220 of 258

  1. #211
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I actually uphold the family as being more important than the government.
    Out of curiosity, why do you value family so much? What's so special about it? I've never understood people who put it on a pedestal and idealize it.

  2. #212
    Allergic to Mornings ergophobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    I dealt with much of this in previous posts addressed to other members. In response to Juggernaut's argument about only fertile couples being allowed to married; I clearly stated that I am not in favor of a managerial state nor eugenics.

    In response to BlackCat I addressed the issue that certain forms of homosexual bonds have and can be recognised, but a sharp distinction is made between these bonds and those of marriage.
    Yes, you do distinguish between homosexuality and gay marriage. The question is why and the need to back it up. Simply stating that you make a distinction is not an argument. I refute the basis of your contention, the contention itself is an opinion. Stating that you are against a managerial state (already questioned by another member) and eugenics does not support this distinction, it merely states your opinion on managerial states and eugenics.

    I also noted that not all marriages have children, but these are seen as exceptions to the rule, and exceptions do not disprove a rule.
    The question is not about these being the majority of marriages or not (that contention itself is in question as most of the Western democracies you speak of are seeing a real decline in procreation rates) is irrelevant. Rules have to be applied to all cases. In thinking of what laws we put in place, it is only natural and logical to think of the diverse situations in which these will apply.

    This is not a small minority or a single exception, this is a large group of people we are referring to (including both heterosexuals who choose to not or cannot have children and homosexuals) so it is only proper that we think through how the laws in place apply to these groups.

    There is no strawman argument here. Just to be clear, a strawman argument is one where there is distortion or misrepresentation. Mere repetition is not a strawman argument. Please apply these carefully.

    At worst, you can accuse me of repetition (sure, I'm a little lazy so I'll take that accusation). A strawman argument has nothing to do with how many times you have made your argument before. It still pertains to the validity of the argument and your failure to back it up with empirical evidence or logic.

  3. #213
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    Just to be clear, a strawman argument is one where there is distortion or misrepresentation.
    Yes I know, that's exactly what I've been telling you all along here.

    Mere repetition is not a strawman argument.
    No it isn't. However, it's still the logical fallacy of making an argument Ad nauseam.

  4. #214
    Magical BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,002

    Default

    Cool, what I said was just totally blown over. http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post660580
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

  5. #215
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post

    The only thing scarier than a same-sex marriage supporters and non-supporters conflict is an NT/SJ conflict. But these two have become the same and shall be finally brought into the open. Does it come down to the SJ nature of taking in past experiences and coming to decisions based on them that causes their opinion on legalization to differ so much, or is it much more than that (possibly the fact that there are only 9 SJs here to respond)?
    I think the difference between 2 types is that SJs need to know what is right and what is wrong. And then they make decisions in life based on that. Most religions are clear about what is right and what is wrong. That's why SJs are attracted to religions. On the other hand, most NTs do not think that there is such thing as right or wrong. Rather, it's more like what works and what doesn't work. While a lot of SJs see homosexuality as something wrong, most NTs don't see homosexuality as something that make a society fails to work. However, unequal rights may lead to a society that fails to work and that's why NT's are against that. Just my two cents.

  6. #216
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Out of curiosity, why do you value family so much? What's so special about it? I've never understood people who put it on a pedestal and idealize it.
    Do you have a solid, supportive family? For a lot of people, if you do have that kind of family, it's really all you have. For myself, I know they're the only ones that REALLY have my back no matter what. That's something to cherish.

  7. #217
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Do you have a solid, supportive family? For a lot of people, if you do have that kind of family, it's really all you have. For myself, I know they're the only ones that REALLY have my back no matter what. That's something to cherish.
    family comes in all colors, types, patterns, and shades, families are those who love you and support you no matter what sex you are.

    Just hoping on the tail end of this discussion (and on your comment beat ) , but it seems we should be able to define our families, our relationships, our marriages according to our own internal standards and not have them dictated by a government or any particular religious body.

    As long as we dont hurt others then we should be free to pursue our own path.

  8. #218
    Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Then it's an exception that proves the rule.
    I'm curious: how many exceptions can there be before a rule is no longer a rule? Because while my example is pretty much exclusive to indigenous tribes of North America, I see you calling much more widespread examples 'exceptions' as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Do you have a solid, supportive family? For a lot of people, if you do have that kind of family, it's really all you have. For myself, I know they're the only ones that REALLY have my back no matter what. That's something to cherish.
    How does gay marriage undermine family?
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

  9. #219
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post

    How does gay marriage undermine family?
    Didn't say it did. If you'll look at my first post in this thread, I'm not against gay marriage. I was simply responding to Athenian's post about not understanding the importance of family.

  10. #220
    almost half a doctor phoenix13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Right... about that whole "family" thing: 2 mentally competent consenting adults in a loving relationship who are of the same gender will not single-handedly destroy the integrity of what most people consider "family."

    The concept of "family" changes over time. Change is natural/ spontaneous/ has positive entropy. Why people are fighting so hard to prevent it and preserve this decaying "family" ideal by forcibly imposing it on such a small population that, apart from "God's word," are committing no wrong -just committing to each other- is absurd.

    The lame thing is, were it not for religion, this whole debate would be short-lived. Most people just wouldn't care enough to fight it.

    EDIT: and no, I'm not responding to Beat.

    "OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

Similar Threads

  1. What way do you think the former USA will be carved up?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-31-2017, 05:09 PM
  2. What MBTI type do you think is the hardest to be?
    By OrangeAppled in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 02:04 AM
  3. What MBTI type do you think is the EASIEST to be?
    By Such Irony in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 09:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO