User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think same-sex marriage should be legal?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I'm an NF.

    48 35.56%
  • Yes and I'm an NT.

    51 37.78%
  • Yes and I'm an SP.

    10 7.41%
  • Yes and I'm an SJ.

    4 2.96%
  • No and I'm an NF.

    5 3.70%
  • No and I'm an NT.

    4 2.96%
  • No and I'm an SP.

    2 1.48%
  • No and I'm an SJ.

    7 5.19%
  • I don't know and I'm an NF.

    2 1.48%
  • I don't know and I'm an NT.

    1 0.74%
  • I don't know and I'm an SP.

    1 0.74%
  • I don't know and I'm an SJ.

    0 0%
First 91718192021 Last

Results 181 to 190 of 258

  1. #181
    rawr Costrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Homosexual behaviour is a choice. Okay.

    And so is heterosexual behaviour.

    So my challenge: repress your heterosexual nature and be homosexual.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

  2. #182
    Allergic to Mornings ergophobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Homosexual behaviour is a choice. Okay.

    And so is heterosexual behaviour.

    So my challenge: repress your heterosexual nature and be homosexual.
    Same to same. I agree. See my above post.

  3. #183
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Oh yeah!

    That was fun to read about.


    Anyway, doesn't the protection of gay marriage also fall under the first amendment? However, in this case, it would be under the establishment clause. A heterosexual couple can get married without the approval of any church. Why can't a gay couple? Wouldn't limiting them to 'civil unions' under the grounds that 'marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a woman' be considered in violation of the establishment clause, because of what it is 'sacred' according to?

    Can straight couples get civil unions?

    Then again, all of this is moot if you're gay and don't live in the USA.
    You make a good point. There are many churches that would love to marry gay couples but are not allowed under current law (they can only do blessings or "commitment ceremonies" instead).
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  4. #184
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Anyway, doesn't the protection of gay marriage also fall under the first amendment?
    No. Just like polygamy is not protected, even though it was for a time a major element of Mormon religious teachings.

  5. #185
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    No. Just like polygamy is not protected, even though it was for a time a major element of Mormon religious teachings.
    Why is polygamy not protected?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  6. #186
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    BZZZZ. False analogy. Sexual behavior is not the same as race, and you insult all victims of racial discrimination when you falsely relate the two.

    How about laws against blasphemy, apostasy, or proselytization? If the people of Vermont wanted to criminalize such actions, would that be okay (more to the point, by what logic under your personal justification for opposing gay marriage should the people of Vermont not enact such laws if that's the type of society they desired)? In fact, your justification for opposing gay marriage was unbounded by any objective criteria outside majority opinion, so why is racial discrimination a false analogy under the circumstances?

    You are certainly entitled to advocate for or against whatever you want, but you haven't provided anything to support the validity of your position, in either theoretical or practical terms, which is what this debate is about. I'm certainly not going to call you names or shun you for believing as you do, but I'm not going respect a "just because" answer, either. Do you have a reasonably consistent standard through which to delineate when subjective popular morality should and should not be law, and if not, how can you call racial discrimination a false analogy?

  7. #187
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Why is polygamy not protected?
    My guess is because there is often an element of exploitation and/or coercion in polygamous arrangements.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  8. #188
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    My guess is because there is often an element of exploitation and/or coercion in polygamous arrangements.
    Is that an element in homosexual arrangements?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  9. #189
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Is that an element in homosexual arrangements?
    Why no, Socrates, I don't believe that it is.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    How about laws against blasphemy, apostasy, or proselytization? If the people of Vermont wanted to criminalize such actions, would that be okay (more to the point, by what logic under your personal justification for opposing gay marriage should the people of Vermont not enact such laws if that's the type of society they desired)? In fact, your justification for opposing gay marriage was unbounded by any objective criteria outside majority opinion, so why is racial discrimination a false analogy under the circumstances?

    You are certainly entitled to advocate for or against whatever you want, but you haven't provided anything to support the validity of your position, in either theoretical or practical terms, which is what this debate is about. I'm certainly not going to call you names or shun you for believing as you do, but I'm not going respect a "just because" answer, either. Do you have a reasonably consistent standard through which to delineate when subjective popular morality should and should not be law, and if not, how can you call racial discrimination a false analogy?
    People are born into ethnicities, that's an obvious proven fact.

    No one knows whether or not homosexuality is choice. So in one person's eyes, the analogy really is an insult to those who face/faced racial discrimination versus those who believe homosexuality is inherent.

Similar Threads

  1. What way do you think the former USA will be carved up?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-31-2017, 05:09 PM
  2. What MBTI type do you think is the hardest to be?
    By OrangeAppled in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 02:04 AM
  3. What MBTI type do you think is the EASIEST to be?
    By Such Irony in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 09:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO