User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think same-sex marriage should be legal?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I'm an NF.

48 35.56%
  • Yes and I'm an NT.

51 37.78%
  • Yes and I'm an SP.

10 7.41%
  • Yes and I'm an SJ.

4 2.96%
  • No and I'm an NF.

5 3.70%
  • No and I'm an NT.

4 2.96%
  • No and I'm an SP.

2 1.48%
  • No and I'm an SJ.

7 5.19%
  • I don't know and I'm an NF.

2 1.48%
  • I don't know and I'm an NT.

1 0.74%
  • I don't know and I'm an SP.

1 0.74%
  • I don't know and I'm an SJ.

0 0%
First 61415161718 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    So assuming that God does exist and the Bible is his words and you are indeed interpreting it correctly. God is wrong. God randomly declaring a harmless act as morally wrong does not make it so, and the only reason to listen to him would be the potential consequences (ie, hell). But if God is going to send people to hell for that reason, he is evil.
    This sounds like when my students tell me that they have an F in a class because the teacher doesn't like them. No, students fail because of their own actions or lack of actions just like people go to hell because of their own actions. It's all about choice.
    "Your voice is like chocolate...dreamy."
    --WildHorses

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Holy opening up a can of worms, Batman!

I voted no. Even though I disagree with the premise of the question. To me, it's basically a matter of what kind of society a person desires. Everyone has the right to want what they want, and advocate for how they believe the society they live in should be. It doesn't make me a bigot, just because I don't believe the definition of marriage needs to be changed.

This is yet another thing that shouldn't be a federal issue. The more you keep decisions to local communities, the more genuine freedom people have. I shouldn't care if people in Vermont want to say two dudes can have a "marriage." The solution should be simple. Don't move to Vermont. The problem is that this country keeps federalizing everything, and the federal courts threaten to overrule state and local governments to change the laws for everybody. That's the only reason it concerns me.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Warm View Post
    This sounds like when my students tell me that they have an F in a class because the teacher doesn't like them. No, students fail because of their own actions or lack of actions just like people go to hell because of their own actions. It's all about choice.
    Would you agree though, that if you did give one of your students an F because you didn't like them, that would be wrong?

Similiarly, God sending you to hell because he doesn't like gay sex is wrong.

But assuming you give your students Fs because they didn't do their work, you have a good reason.

What is God's reason?
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ISFJ

Would you agree though, that if you did give one of your students an F because you didn't like them, that would be wrong?
    Yes, that is wrong.

Similiarly, God sending you to hell because he doesn't like gay sex is wrong.

But assuming you give your students Fs because they didn't do their work, you have a good reason.

What is God's reason?
    See my comment on the natural and unnatural.
    --WildHorses

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Yes, that is wrong.

But simply because something is unnatural does not make it wrong imo, even assuming it is 'unnatural'. To make it wrong it has to cause harm, and I do not see how homosexuality causes harm.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ISFJ

But simply because something is unnatural does not make it wrong imo, even assuming it is 'unnatural'. To make it wrong it has to cause harm, and I do not see how homosexuality causes harm.
    To each his own.
    --WildHorses

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

What I've never understood about the reasoning behind the Christian view of homosexuality being wrong is this... If god really didn't want us to do it, why does he allow us to? Why do we even get the urge, why are people attracted to the same gender?

If I were a creator, and I made a species and I didn't want them to do a specific thing, I'd just simply make it so they would die if they did that act. IMO if god didn't want us to be homosexual, we would die because of it. Or we would just be totally disinterested.

Other than that I agree with Costrin. Homosexuality does nothing bad for us whatsoever, so such views on it really don't make any sense to me. Why not reserve your prejudices for other things, such as hate crimes and things like that? Things that actually effect people.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

But homosexuality naturally occurs in nature. Penguins, rams, primates (the Bonobo chimpanzees in particular are often cited), for example, all exhibit homosexual behaviour. Is it still unnatural if it's found everywhere? Or is it only unnatural when humans partake in it?
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    What I've never understood about the reasoning behind the Christian view of homosexuality being wrong is this... If god really didn't want us to do it, why does he allow us to? Why do we even get the urge, why are people attracted to the same gender?
    God allows us to choose between right and wrong. Without this choice there is no free will.
    --WildHorses

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

God allows us to choose between right and wrong. Without this choice there is no free will.
    Agreed. It's all about our own free will. People can make laws, and prevent it, but it doesn't take away the constant desire of it. We're all entitles to our own opinions and we do have free will, and people don't like that! People want control, tradition, and ORDER!

To anyone who argues with this,

Put yourself in the shoes of one of the thousands of passionate homosexuals who have and are being neglected the oppurtunity to practice and share their love in formal manners. Wouldn't it be terrible? Wouldn't you want to stand up for your rights? Love's one of the most powerful emotions, and it motivates people more than any other emotion. Plus..what harm does homosexual marriage pose? None, exactly.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?