User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think same-sex marriage should be legal?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I'm an NF.

48 35.56%
  • Yes and I'm an NT.

51 37.78%
  • Yes and I'm an SP.

10 7.41%
  • Yes and I'm an SJ.

4 2.96%
  • No and I'm an NF.

5 3.70%
  • No and I'm an NT.

4 2.96%
  • No and I'm an SP.

2 1.48%
  • No and I'm an SJ.

7 5.19%
  • I don't know and I'm an NF.

2 1.48%
  • I don't know and I'm an NT.

1 0.74%
  • I don't know and I'm an SP.

1 0.74%
  • I don't know and I'm an SJ.

0 0%
First 3111213141523 Last

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well I'm not arguing for neither a managerial state nor eugenics here.
    Aren't you a little? I mean if the basis of the state's conferral of a marriage contract on a couple is that the couple intends to build a family but certain families that are already in existence are excluded on the basis of their composition isn't that kind of "managerial"?

Burn in Hell you evil lefties, Burnnnnnn!

I'm not a Democrat or a leftie.
    You, however, are emotionally unstable.
    Grow up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    You, however, are emotionally unstable.
    Grow up.
    Umm, I think he was funnin' with us a bit.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Okay, you obviously believe there's something wrong with it. Where does this belief come from? Other people? A study? Where?
    By the same token, why are you for it? Are you following what seems to be the majority these days, what seems to be en vogue? Many people are quick to dispute an argument that is founded in one's faith simply because they believe that faith has no substance at all, or they think that Christians are drones who cannot think for themselves. What about those who BELIEVE in what society says?

No, I do not think that same-sex marriage should be legal (duh). Would I condemn someone for marrying a person of the same gender? No, I would not, for I do not have heaven or hell in which to put anyone; however, I will not sit back and tell them that it is right.

By the way, this is not a personal attack on you, Athenian. Your questions just made me think of a lot of things that have been thrown at Christians over the years.
    "Your voice is like chocolate...dreamy."
    --WildHorses

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Peguy your arguments make no sense... I'm gonna be honest.
    With the way you protrayed my views, yeah they don't make sense. Except what you presented here is not what I'm saying. But then again, what I'm arguing here is so radically at odds with what people commonly have been taught on the issue, so I can't blame you.

Why can't people marry just for the sake of love?
    Of course marriage is about love. Love is of course a celebration of life; and part of that celebration of life is the creation of new life.

You can have kids without going through some ritual us humans have made up... Putting a ring on someone's finger to symbolize staying together basically.
    Yes people can have children without being married. But how fufilling is that really? Utility is not the final criteria of the worth of something.

Why can't same sex couples marry just for the sake of love? I really see no issue.
    If you mean can society allow for gay couples to be together in some form or another, then yeah that's another thing. Societies have always sanctioned some form of male bonding or another; even with monks. But a clear distinction was always made between such institutions and that of marriage, which as I've stated involves the rearing of children. Of course not all marriages will have children, but those are seen as exceptions to the rule. And exceptions do not disprove a rule.

What does marriage without kids honestly do to our society? Nothing. No harm whatsoever.
    No, that's not true. Marriage and a sufficient birth-rate to maintain the long-term sustainability of a society are closely linked. One major issue effecting us now as a result of this correlation is the issue surronding Social Security, among many other issues.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

As I explained to Jennifer here, one has to look at the overall logic presented within scriptures as a whole. You can't just nitpick this or that verse. And when you view Biblical teachings on marriage; homosexuality, much less gay marriage, is simply incompatible with it.
    I think one of my issues is that, rather than Judeo-Christianity determining the culture, the culture actually shaped Judeo-Christianity (much as when Paul gave some practical advice to a church or two about womem in the church, but it was never really meant to be a "pronouncement from on high," it was the religion adapating to the culture and the current needs at the time), and at that time period procreation was much more important than it is now. I don't think that procreation is necessarily a part of what makes Christianity "Christianity."

This is why your appeals to tradition just don't really ring true to me or make sense. I'm far more focused on relational truth and the community aspect, not upholding the way Christian was practiced (and thus shaped itself in a particular cultural setting) 2000 years ago and Jewish culture before that point. There is nothing that is universally true there, all you can really say is that "Christianity was practiced <this way> in <that culture> at <that time>."

What's that have to do with right now, in our culture, right this moment? Nothing, to me. Which is why your and my discourse on the issue usually doesn't budge either of us from our positions, we're arguing from different foundations here.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I must say, you have a very short attention span. Ritalin?

Grow up.
    You first.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Warm View Post
    What about those who BELIEVE in what society says?
    What if that society tells you it's okay to exclude, or even kill, people who are a different religion or race than you? Is it okay to believe what society says then? Should others respect your right to believe in what society says in those instances?

I thought christianity was about loving your brother and leaving god to do the judging. If homosexuality or being a jew or being black is a sin isn't a good christian obligated to let god dole out justice? How can a mere mortal ever stand in as a surrogate for the divine?

MBTI
    ISTP

No, that's not true. Marriage and a sufficient birth-rate to maintain the long-term sustainability of a society are closely linked. One major issue effecting us now as a result of this correlation is the issue surronding Social Security, among many other issues.
    Correlation is the right word. Causation runs the other way around. The motivation to have kids is linked to wealth, investment means, retirement options, longevity and a bunch of other factors. Marriage is, at best, a means to that end.

You gain no social benefit from marginalizing a form of marriage that would otherwise likely result in kids being raised. It's easy to get kids. It's really hard to find parents.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What's that have to do with right now, in our culture, right this moment? Nothing, to me. Which is why your and my discourse on the issue usually doesn't budge either of us from our positions, we're arguing from different foundations here.
    I have to agree that culture seems to shape belief systems and the way that religion is practiced. Otherwise, we wouldn't have so many churches practicing tolerance of homosexuality when the Bible clearly states that it is wrong.

As for the other point, I'm not sure that I've ever seen a case in which someone was swayed by another's position on a discussion board. *shrugs* Usually, people end up agreeing to disagree or carrying on like idiots until someone gets banned. Go figure.
    "Your voice is like chocolate...dreamy."
    --WildHorses