User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Default My Dead History Professor (funnier than it sounds)

Did anyone else have a wacky teacher like this?

A professor from our school days in Northern Ireland passed away a few years ago from cancer. He was an eccentric man who wore his professor robes while bicycling to school and threw rocks at cars that splashed him or didn't observe road etiquette. I (and my twin sister) enjoyed his classical civilization lectures, only I think I would have enjoyed them more had they not been at the crack of dawn - I used to sit next to the radiators to get warmed up (N. Irish winters are so cold!) and I would invariably fall asleep.

Anyway, I thought I might share some of the other responses over at Facebook in a tribute thread to his passing. He was well loved.

(P.S. -- "first years" refers to the First Form kids, basically like 1st graders who were known to anxiously carry HUGE duffel bags around with everything they owned inside. I was nearly swept away when a mass of them let out of classes and clogged the halls with their giant bags and pushy little bodies. Only my friend Joanne, grabbing onto my jumper and my flailing hand and forming a human chain with other 4th year girls - one clinging tenaciously to the door frame of an open room and vigorously cursing the first years -- prevented my untimely demise.)

The last bit about Zulu is my story.

I was so scared of him in first year, especially when he threw a wig at me from the cupboard in room 15 ...

I remember that wig, he threw it at pretty much every class at least once...

Yeah I got the wig thrown at me once too, I made the mistake of getting assigned to the seat beside the cupboard so that when he opened the door I couldn't see in...

A truly great teacher and friend who I always respected. Yes, he kicked first years who were sitting on the ground, but HE WAS BLIND IN ONE EYE, HE THOUGHT THEY WERE SCHOOLBAGS, AND WHAT WERE THE LITTLE BUGGERS DOING ON THE GROUND ANYWAY???!!!...

As for the 1st yr kicking incident.. I was there and he knew they weren't schoolbags :-P they were propping up the door to stop someone from getting into the classroom (and they weren't 1st yrs)!!...

Ah indeed, God rest the great Geoffrey Carmichael. A sad loss indeed. His last words to me were "Did I really talk about black stockings and suspenders in class THAT much?" I should add that this was in response to me giving him a DVD of 'Cabaret' as a leaving present as he would keep harping on his only having seen it once and finding it FABULOUS!...

I had the strangest thing happen in one of his Civ classes... My father was always going on and on about how I needed to watch the movie "Zulu". In fact, he said it so much, it turned into a running joke. Flash forward to me sitting in Mr. C's class, and from out of nowhere, the man says, "You know what movie you should watch? 'Zulu'...." I swear I almost had a seizure. He was channeling my dad. I told him (and dad) about it, and they both howled with laughter and gave each other compliments on good cinematic taste...
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Hmmm... If only you you captured his image on paper and made him into the star of a weekly Sunday comic strip.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I had a prof that was the best. Dr. Chu.

He would forget to take off his sunglasses and teach a lesson in them. He would take them off after the lecture. Once he asked us why it was so dark in the room.

He would write the words to jokes out on the board so we could understand them because we might not get them hearing them through his accent. He didn't do that with the lecture.

He wore a large piece of duct tape on his sweater one day.

Bonus: My metallurgy professor used to yell at us "YOU THINK THIS IS B***S*** DON'T YOU" This was metallurgy class. I don't think the mechanical engineers who were taking the class even cared enough to think it was bs.

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

How sweet...I aspire to be the type of teacher that my students will remember years later..

I can remember one teacher I hated she smelled like denture glue and always wore these green and brown polyester pants that looked like someone shot the couch.
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I had a lot of teachers I remember.

The 6th grade math teacher was famous for throwing chalk out the window to demonstrate the idea of 'infinity' after he drew a long line across the black board.

Our Health teacher was an airhead that everyone knew was easily distracted so it was the goal of nearly every class to see what we could get him to talk about that didn't relate to class. We didn't learn much in there lol
    Embrace the possibilities.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I had a biology teacher in high school was smoking weed in class and always talked about being a member of some flat planet organisation and was always eager to explain all arguements to why the planet is flat.

And this was on quite a respectable school, lol.

Most of my teachers were all way intellectual and charismatic. Didn't have many bloopers as teachers.

One of my physicist profs had a tick with his right eye though, like tourettes, but according to him it's because he fell with his bike once. And he has a helmet cut in half to prove it. But otherwise really smart person, so not that weird. :p

edit: Oh and our high school's TOA assistant never succeeded in showing a practical test. It always failed one way or the other. I think he did it on purpose. No one fails that much. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I love these stories. lol Thanks for sharing, you guys!

lol Elaur -- your metallurgy teacher sounded like my Maths teacher from the Academy, Mr. Livingston. He would yell at us until his head turned red under his white comb-over. Stuff like, "You are all. Loo-saaaaarrrrrrrrrrsss! If you don't pass my class. NO ONE WILL WANT YOU. YOU ARE MINE. You cannot. Go. Lower! This is 'crap maths'! Not even Mrs. Flannigan will save you!" lol!!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I had a math teacher in grade 10 who used to bang on his desk when trying to make a point. He started the semester by sorting everyone by their grade 9 mark and then asked why the people who got 70% very plainly, "Why are you here?" After that he had one of us go to the board and explain why anything to the power of 0 was equal to 1 and picked on one of the above 90s. Apparently he liked the explanation and out loud to the class stated that was why that person got over 90%.

Even stranger, when my father found out I was in this guy's class he was as close to ecstatic as I've ever seen him. I passed the class with a 95 and figured my father's estimation of that teacher's classes was more than they deserved. Later I found out he had ended up in some trouble for his more "typical" teaching style before I had first stepped into his class.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I had a physics teacher who would sit under his table and look at the class through a periscope, as we were writing a test on optics.

He also had us write poems during Christmas time.

Once he had a student solve an exercise on the blackboard. He messed up from the very beginning, but teacher assured him and had him continue, for his own amusement.
    He only helped the student at the very end, as he was writing down the solution, by spelling him out the Estonian equivalent of "bullshit".

He was a good teacher though. Made a lot of jokes and ridiculous anecdotal examples of physics in practice. He was also very kind and helpful.

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

My calculus professor used to say things like, "If a crazed mathematician were to break into your home and wake you up with a knife next to your throat and say, 'Sketch the graph of y=x^2 or die!', I'd expect you to be able to draw it perfectly in about two seconds." And then he'd subtly imply that that's the kind of stress we'd be under for the rest of the semester.

He was fun.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]