User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    I

Default Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Normally I don't open up like this, but I've read a lot about this disorder recently and all the symptoms match me almost perfectly. Everything regarding the disorder. I used to wonder if there's something wrong, but now I know what's been going on with me in my life since I was about 14... the strange compulsions, thoughts, and behavior... OCD. I haven't gotten a professional diagnosis (I can't afford it), but I definitely have OCD.

It really pains me sometimes with different obsessions that I have, it's actually quite a struggle sometimes.

Anyone else have OCD, or know things about it?

Well, I have OCD, but its pure O rather than obssessions that manifest in behavior.
    So the obssessions pretty much goes on inside my head.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    GONE

I used to have OCD-ish behavior including repeating mantras (numbers, etc.) and behaviors in order to calm myself. I used to have A LOT of anxiety, particularly social anxiety. This is as a teenager, specifically in highschool. I'm sure hormones played a role in it. I haven't repeated these behaviors or exhibitied OCD-ish behavior in several years. It has coincided with me becoming less anxious (to the point of no "anxiety" I'd consider clinical or extreme) and becoming secure and confident. This has also coincided with me giving up the expectation of being "perfect" - basically letting go of the fear of failure.

Actually, I still have a fear of failure and other existential angst, but not to the point where it preoccupies me and interferes with everday stuff with OCD.

This is just my own experience with it.

PS If you wanna analyze in terms of functions and what not, I have well developed Ti now, but it was MUCH harder for me to concentrate and think things through when I was a teenager.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ESFJ

I used to suffer from it pretty seriously, but I found weed helps calm it down. I still have to balance things and I hate stepping on cracks, though.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I used to suffer from it pretty seriously, but I found weed helps calm it down. I still have to balance things and I hate stepping on cracks, though.
    I was taught not to step on the cracks or the bears will get me.

They wait and wait and wait, and the moment you make a mistake and step on a crack, they jump out and get you.

And how they hate people like you and me, Mercury, as we are so careful not to step on the cracks and so don't provide them with any probable cause to jump out at us.

There is a case though before the High Court about what actually constitutes a step on crack. And the bears are as ferocious in Court as they are on the streets.

However the bears do love drunks. And they watch them as they weave down the street, trying desperately not to step on the cracks. Sometimes a foot hovers over a crack but just misses - and the bears sigh in exasperation.

And it is these heavy bears' sighs that alert me that bears are around and I am extra careful not to step on the cracks.

There are spoil-sports, though, who want to make all footpaths crack free. Sure they say, it will cost a bit more, but think of the peace of mind.

However the militant Union of Bears has been able to stave them off. If you go down in the woods today, you will find a very angry crowd of bears waving their banners and growling their slogans, "Freedom", they shout, "Freedom for bears".

I find this all hard to bear so I am just careful not to step on the cracks.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I used to have OCD tendencies .. At night i would check the door handle several times even though i knew i had locked it. I don't like anything to do with gas so the fires i would have to go and actually put my hand on the switch thing just so i could feel that it was off. lol. I used to have a pattern of doing things at night and i would say it out loud. Doors, windows, fire, lights, plugs. next room etc etc .. I am so glad i don't do that now. I just feel calmer.

I have a 2 year old nephew and i seriously swear he has OCD .. He is very advanced for his age. He obsesses with cleaning, he doesn't like things on the floor and even though he doesn't like the noise of the hoover, he won't shut up about it, my hoover, Sarah's hoover .. Oh my gosh. He gets his baby wipes and cleans off the smudges on the TV or the table .. I have asked him if he can say OCD .. he has told me NO .. lol
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Totally! But I love my OCD.

Does it get in the way sometimes? Sure it does. I cannot for the life of me leave a single drop of water in my kitchen sink when doing dishes. Oh, and did I mention I can't have a single dish or utensil in my sink either? Also, I can't study in my den if laundry is all over the guest bed, it's all got to be folded and put away. How many hours a week do I waste on such rituals? Lots...but it's OK. Why?

My house is clean! There is order around me and I have peace of mind once these simple OCD-isms are accomodated.

I also re-direct it at things that are beneficial to do in a ritualistic manner, such as eat nutritious food daily (2 fruits + 2 veggies!), exercise regularly, and have two pre-selected late homework nights per week.

So, it is a disposition if wielded correctly, and a disorder if left to run amuk in one's psyche.

I'm sure extreme cases need more intervention than I cast at mine, but the above is what works for me...

MBTI
    LoLz

The thing I have against OCD is the standards in which they use to diagnose someone with it. You can't judge whether you have it just by comparing yourself to the people around you or even society. I hate when people throw around the term in casual conversation. Most of the time, they're labeling natural tendencies regarded as bad by society with a serious disorder that actually significantly affects some people's lives.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    The thing I have against OCD is the standards in which they use to diagnose someone with it. You can't judge whether you have it just by comparing yourself to the people around you or even society. I hate when people throw around the term in casual conversation. Most of the time, they're labeling natural tendencies regarded as bad by society with a serious disorder that actually significantly affects some people's lives.
    Good point!

It's only a disorder if it interferes with one or more major life functions (e.g .work, school, relationships, etc.) right?

MBTI
    yupp

I think when people say they have add or ocd or something they probably, don't we're just a disorder happy society. I know I don't have add, I have add like behavior when I don't want to do something, but I think that has to do more with being a P, and not wanting to do whatever it it. But when I'm actually interested in something I'll spend hours doing that one thing.

The only thing that I have that is OCDish is I can't be first, it doesn't matter what it is, so when someone offers me something or makes me go first I always try to convince them to go first, so I can go second.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so