User Tag List

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

Default Reading Your Teachers

ever wonder what your teacher/professor thinks of you?

things i've noticed:

1. call on people they think are intelligent for hard questions
    2. call on people thye think are dumb or easy questions (and try and make it all seem random)
    3. they smile and be nice to you outside class time if you did well on the last assessment, ignore you if you didnt.
    4. hate me for falling asleep during their class even though its their fault
    5. nice to students who achieve alot
    6. unwittingly get charmed by some students so they can continue to misbehave and get special treatment
    7. develop faster relationships with students who misbehave

things i wonder about:

1. why they put certain people on the spot? did i cover all the reasons besides just keeping students alert?
    2. how can you tell what they think of you/your performance/intellect. this is besides grades because they dont tell you if the teacher thinks you are under/over performing
    3. are they more likely to call on some who appears to be:
    smart
    dumb
    struggling (subtle difference)
    paying attention
    not paying attention
    their favourite
    4. are they more likely to call on me if i do/dont make eye contact?
    5. do they wonder/know who is underachieving and who is struggling with the material

post additions to the list if youve got any. insight from teachers will be worth gold.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

They put people on the spot to either push them harder in thinking things through as those students are showing potential, or, coz they notice that the person is not paying attention and they want to embarass them so they won't do it again (or at least not soon).

What they think of you is often written on their face. Not so much how often they call on you, but if they do call on you and you give an answer, their face will tell you everything. Also, if you actively parttake in the class, you will be able to tell what they think when they see you raising your hand. Smiling means they appreciate it greatly, ignoring you or frowning means that they've had enough of you and your questions or additions or attention whoring.

Making eye contact is often guaranteed to get you called on, unless you're so active in the class that they wanna give someone else a chance. Not making contact works brilliantly, as long as you're not disrupting the class. Appear to be writing or reading your book, so that you actually look engaged in the material they're trying to teach. Appear to be talking to others or fidgetting about, and you will get called upon often.

The reason for calling upon someone often depends on the circumstances. When initiating new material, they will often pick people they know are active participants and good at brainstorming and grasping the material. After that, it will often be the ones that seem to be losing their interest, with last the ones that struggle with the material, to check if everyone finally grasped it so they can move on.

They often know who's underachieving or struggling by the answers they give when called upon and the amount of time they spend distracted elsewhere, though it is entirely possible for them to not gauge this correctly. For instance, I had definite subjects I couldnt' care less about. Unfortunately that also included subjects that I was bad at, as often, I didn't see the use for them. Then you get an underachieving student, that also actually struggles, which then doesn't get recognized.

I barely graduated (was never a great student) from a school that has a pretty good rep. The main reason I passed was that I knew my teachers. I knew what was important to them, which parts of the material they found important or were passionate about. I made sure I knew those parts for the exam and calculated how much I needed to study to just pass (I hated being forced to study, be it homework or for exams). It's not a method I recommend on its own, but it is a nice addition to just mere thorough studying.

Just my two cents.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

*is now two centrs richer*

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Sometimes I wonder, but mostly I can tell. The college here has small classes, so invariably, I get to know my professors to some degree. I try to treat them like people, and I have found they like being treated like people who just happen to know a lot about a specific subject rather than a professor. Though their position of "knowing more than me about something I find interesting" automatically garners some respect from my end.

A good indicator of how a teacher approaches their profession is whether or not they ask you to not call them Mr./Mrs./Ms. so-and-so or professor so-and-so. Teachers that do not want to be called anything professional end up being the most approachable. They appear to view themselves at an equal level with their students and are more in a mode of sharing information openly rather than throwing information at you.

How teachers greet you outside of class is a good indicator of what they think of you. Most just want you to at least try in their classes and as long as you do, they will appreciate your efforts and greet you in a more open manner. Really, getting a teacher to think "well" of you is as simple as being a respectful and polite person towards them. Students who look like they're trying to pay attention are liked more than those who blatantly refuse to pay attention and are rude about it on top of that.

As for why teachers put people on the spot? It really depends on who the teacher is as a person. One of the professors I have now puts people on the spot because she likes to watch her students squirm a little. She's utterly nice about it, but for her it seems to be as much about the answer as it is about pushing people out of their comfort zones and seeing what they do.

How can you tell what they think of your performance/intellect? Ask. Seriously. Ask them if they think you're over-doing it or need to work harder.

Agreed with Amargith on the avoiding eye contact thing. It works spectacularly if you look like you're busy writing something down that is relevant to the discussion. However, some teachers will call on you anyway if you haven't said anything in a while. Which is why the best way to avoid being called upon is to speak up and voice your thoughts voluntarily every once in a while, while avoiding eye-contact the rest of the time. It's a "light touch" method to participating in class. If you participate at the right moments and are particularly insightful, what you say will count just as much as the person who can't seem to shut up.

Yes, they wonder who is underachieving and struggling. Part of teaching is feeling successful when your students feel successful. It's some weird bond that forms. So when one of the students is struggling, it will bother you, too. A lot of teachers don't like seeing their students fail, because it means somewhere along the line, they failed.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost