User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Last night one of them got really cold, wouldn't eat and just eventually stopped breathing.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

NOOO!!!

I'm sorry.

MBTI
    ENFJ

And then the same thing happened about half an hour ago.

Fuck

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    And then the same thing happened about half an hour ago.

Fuck
    Mr. Bunny Protector, maybe it's time to take however many is left to the vet?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Yeah, I just did.

The veterinarian said that, first of all, I should have left them. I told her that I put them back last night when I saw that an adult rabbit was near the nest they had been in, however there was a flood watch last night and I didn't want to leave them out in it. She said that was reasonable.

She said the fact that any of them, let alone five of seven, made it through the first night is surprising. She said that raising wild rabbits is very, very difficult and that they had tried several times at the vet with almost no luck. She was surprised that they would nurse, said I'm doing a good job. She said I needed to keep them much warmer than I had been; a heating pad under their box.

And well, she cautioned me to not expect any of them to survive, but it's worth trying.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

A couple nights of being taken care of by a compassionate human beats getting run over with a lawnmower any day.

I feel for you, the same thing happened to me a few years ago, only I didn't see them in time. I still feel terrible about that.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Did somebody say rabbit?

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Yeah, I just did.

The veterinarian said that, first of all, I should have left them. I told her that I put them back last night when I saw that an adult rabbit was near the nest they had been in, however there was a flood watch last night and I didn't want to leave them out in it. She said that was reasonable.

She said the fact that any of them, let alone five of seven, made it through the first night is surprising. She said that raising wild rabbits is very, very difficult and that they had tried several times at the vet with almost no luck. She was surprised that they would nurse, said I'm doing a good job. She said I needed to keep them much warmer than I had been; a heating pad under their box.

And well, she cautioned me to not expect any of them to survive, but it's worth trying.
    Yeah!! Vet opinion. Yeah, I've heard that baby bunnies don't survive well during their first few days of life without momma, that's why I was suggesting an initial call to an animal welfare society for FAQs.

Regardless, you must have done something right, as there's still 5 surviving. Good luck to Thumper and his brothers and sisters! I hope they make it.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Brendan, baby bunnies are super fragile, so don't feel too bad.

I'm assuming from your name that you're a guy but do you have any women around? This may sound stupid but it worked a treat when we tried it - put them in someone's (cotton) bra (i.e. when it's being worn) - keeps them warm - and only take them out for feeding. If you have no women around you could just make a little pouch in your t-shirt and stuff them in there. Body heat/skin-to-fur contact is very good for them.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    Brendan, baby bunnies are super fragile, so don't feel too bad.

I'm assuming from your name that you're a guy but do you have any women around? This may sound stupid but it worked a treat when we tried it - put them in someone's (cotton) bra (i.e. when it's being worn) - keeps them warm - and only take them out for feeding. If you have no women around you could just make a little pouch in your t-shirt and stuff them in there. Body heat/skin-to-fur contact is very good for them.
    Remind me when I'm at my Reincarnation Character Select meeting, to put "Bunny recovered by caring woman" at or near the top of my list.