Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Kar View Post
    I always thought that loners are always introverted. That's why I thought that I was introverted for a long time, until I toke the MBTItest that said that I was extraverted. I started typing a lot op people lately, and then I realized that my dad is an ENTJ. And he's a loner. Why? Because he thinks that most people are lame anyway and that's why hanging around with them isn't worth it. My dad never felt like his lonerness was bad for him and he never had the urge to search new friends. I don't have any problem with being a loner either, I was kinda raised to be one. Somehow I feel like it makes me more free to do what I want. And yes, it's absolutely sure that we're both extraverted and we don't have any social phobia or autism or anything. Now I'm just curious how rare extraverted loners really are. Is it really something for introverted people only?
    I'm one of these. An extroverted loner.

MBTI
    xNFP

Default can somebody DEFINE what extraversion is...

...on a cognitive level. I'm a bit confused. I am under the impression that it is perfectly possible to direct our energy outwards and inwards. So, not very sure if I'm an ENFP or INFP.

on an INFP note: I like people in an aBsTrAcT sort of way, I want to interact and communicate, share meaningful experiences, go places with them, but people kinda annoy me too.

Cool thread. Not sure where I fall sometimes either. I'll just settle with calling myself introverted though. I've gotten better with practice either way.

..but I think I'm less energetic than I should be... It's a Catch 22 though because I just don't think of many people I know as something that's going to improve anything. And ones that would have moved or are busy. Basically, whatever need for extraversion I may have is outweighed by not needing bullshit...

Then again, my energy may be due to... thyroid issues (just throwing it out there. I don't know).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

don't feel like reading through 5 pages to see if someone said this already or care about the expired date on this thread but

I've always thought being social was only a byproduct of extroversion. Considered after the fact. Extroverts just have a tendency to take in stimuli and react instead of taking in stimuli and dwelling/thinking on it. This is why being social doesn't drain them but gives them energy. But they do not need to be social to extrovert. George Carlin was an extrovert but said he couldn't really stand being around people for too long. However, that's another story...

MBTI
    AHH!

Well now I have to rethink my whole personality type. (A.K.A. I love whoever made this opening, brilliant idea.)

If I like who I'm with, I get energy from being around them, I never get sick of them, ever. But I often choose to be alone a lot because I don't like the options of people I have to spend time with. Does this mean this whole time I could actually be an extrovert?

Do you get a strong urge to just want to get out there with "someone", be at a party or something.. but hate the parties you're being invited to?

i dunno, that might help you figure it out.

MBTI
    AHH!

Yes! That's exactly what happens! I have this strong urge to get out there...but then when I go out I'm always disappointed. The people at the party seem too shallow, or this, or that, etc. What does that mean?

heh i don't know either.. i experience the same thing sometimes though. not just with parties. i also like being active..sports.. just wouldn't mind making a "group" thing out of it.. get bored throwing a ball around by myself

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

I wouldn't call myself a loner, but people... I can take em or leave em, I don't care either way.

Conversation can be nice, but I have low tolerance for stupid, and people are generally stupid XD

In general though, I prefer having one close friend around at a time. Too many people just get in the way; I can hold my own in a crowd, but I'd really rather not since I'm scared of crowds... I just don't let them know that is all.

Is it rare? Probably not any moreso than introverted loners.

Being E or I has nothing to do with how social yeu are. It's just how yeur thought process works; an I will think things through to themselves first... an E will bounce an idea off others externally, even if it means talking to themselves to do it.

Yeu can be a loner E just as much as a loner I. E's will just talk to themselves or make up imaginary friends to cover for the lack of interaction is all.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Kat View Post
    I always thought that loners are always introverted. That's why I thought that I was introverted for a long time, until I toke the MBTItest that said that I was extraverted. I started typing a lot op people lately, and then I realized that my dad is an ENTJ. And he's a loner. Why? Because he thinks that most people are lame anyway and that's why hanging around with them isn't worth it. My dad never felt like his lonerness was bad for him and he never had the urge to search new friends. I don't have any problem with being a loner either, I was kinda raised to be one. Somehow I feel like it makes me more free to do what I want. And yes, it's absolutely sure that we're both extraverted and we don't have any social phobia or autism or anything. Now I'm just curious how rare extraverted loners really are. Is it really something for introverted people only?
    Very good topic.

I'd be like your dad, a little misanthropic but not in an ill sort of way, I'm not miserable by any stretch of the imagination.

The thing is that for a long time extraversion was considered a positive norm, extraverts had less problems with social life, it was second nature and therefore they were really enviable sorts.

I remember a disc given to students at a technical college I attended which indicated that everyone was an extravert who took it, it was a kind of back slapping exercise to make everyone feel great. It wasnt until years later when I considered things differently that I realised this involved a kind of value judgement.

Lately I've seen a lot of books arguing, rightly I believe, that introversion isnt a problem or a result of social anxiety or whatever, I've not seen the same consideration of extroversion, ie that not all extraverts stereotypically need company or what to prioritise social contact.