User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 44

  1. #21
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Possibly true, I just like challenging opinions and having discussions. Don't really care where I'm at.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  2. #22
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    in my defense, I did just imply that I'm relentlessly annoying as long as I think someone's game for it. that's hardly demonstrating arrogance... more self-effacing under an arrogant veneer.

    [INTP]Alas, some people are unhip to such subtleties and simply skim the shallowest meaning from the surface and miss the hidden depth of my incisive humor... [/INTP]
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  3. #23
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samvega View Post
    1) Depends on their age, if they're under 25 chances are they aren't an ENTP or they're a Nocap/Eck style ENTP.

    1a) This is the alternate ending. They assumed you couldn't grasp the depth of their thought and decided it was better to build a spaceship in their head while you're pontificating their silence.

    2) This is the 25 and older option. They have figured out when two people don't agree you can say nothing or say a lot to confirm that conclusion. They decided that you weren't a worthy opponent to debate and simply let you feel as if you were the victor as they're so confident in their skills they no longer have a need to verbally slay you.

    3) There is no three, it's one of the above options only, sorry.
    3a) If your ENTP is 35 and older, chances are he may consider you're right after all, and he may take time to consider all the new possibilities involved within your answer. Mature ENTPs tend to deeply respect intelligence (or the apparence of intelligence). And if his audience seems especially clever, an ENTP may take extra-precautions not to look that stupid, if it means keeping the discussion entertaining later.

    3b) More probably, the aforementioned mature ENTP might simply consider that the discussion is boring. Either because you're not very interesting, or either because he doesn't have a lot to say about it (little possible interaction involved during the process).

    3c) There's also a slight possibility the ENTP might have been distracted or confused with something completely different. This frequently happens to Ne-dom.

    3d) The ENTP may have the obligation to fulfill an urgent biological need, like eating or peeing, rather than answering to you.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  4. #24
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    The ENTP may have the obligation to fulfill a biological need, like eating or peeing, rather than listening to you.
    Awesome one. So much inbetween the lines there.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  5. #25
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    True. You mentioned in the other thread that heated discussion is a way to bond with the other person, and substitute here mentioned being relentless.

    Now when ENTPs act like that to me, it often comes across as you trying to pick a fight. It's like if somebody disagrees with you, you immediately go to Def-con Four; and I'm always scratching my head why.

    This was my impression with the manner Blackmail! addressed me in the WWII thread. To me, his behavior amounted to an outright declaration of war upon me(no pun intended), and I didn't take kindly to that to say the least.

    I'm not bashing ENTPs here, just honestly stating how your mannerisms come across to me as an NF. It seems quite clearly here you guys views things differently.
    I'm sorry, I didn't see that thread. But I know in my own discussions, I will go directly to the point - some see this as being aggressive because I don't mince my words. I just see it as being clear, to not leave room for interpretations. A lot of NFs and SJs have had a hard time with me irl, but I've been able to tone it way down in recent years. Often that means I stfu. I'm also learning how to be more gracious, which does not come easy because I equate it with deception.

    In a regular discussion, I am relentless in pursuing perceived truths. I challenge and I like to be challenged. Even if I truly believe my thoughts are correct, I want to hear yours in case you have new information to offer me. In case my mind could be changed and in case I get more insight and understanding into the way your mind works. This is how I bond with people... When the other person *believes* I have an emotional involvement in the topic (which I very rarely do), most times they react with emotions of their own - and that's when I stop.

    A few years back, a friend and I were having dinner, and then we went out for drinks. At the end of the night, she blew up at me - this came from left field as I had no idea why she was so upset. She said the conversation became uncomfortable way back at the restaurant and she was trying to get out of it. Then after hours of it, she had had enough and exploded at me for my belligerence and persistence. I was so confused because I didn't understand why she didn't just say "Hey, this conversation is not cool for me right now, can we change the subject?" I would have gladly done it because I didn't care one way or another what we were talking about. But she kept engaging and responding. So I took that as a go. She was confused that I couldn't see the signs, I was confused that she even had to use signs. Ironically, I felt that the leading conversation had been one of the most engaging and fun ones we had ever had - I had never felt closer to her before or since. All the while, she felt it was our worst one to date. That really opened my eyes. She explained to me what her signs were. From that point on, whenever I've seen those signs, I end the conversation. I can't read people's minds and I can't read nonverbal communication in deep detail. So I err on the safe side and end it.

    Most times when I back out of conversations on this forum, you'll see the same pattern. Once someone retorts with a veiled (or direct) personal attack, rather than sticking to the topic at hand, I generally excuse myself. There is no point to go any further after that.

  6. #26
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post

    Now when ENTPs act like that to me, it often comes across as you trying to pick a fight. It's like if somebody disagrees with you, you immediately go to Def-con Four; and I'm always scratching my head why.

    This was my impression with the manner Blackmail! addressed me in the WWII thread. To me, his behavior amounted to an outright declaration of war upon me(no pun intended), and I didn't take kindly to that to say the least.
    Usually, ENTPs aren't afraid to be very provocative or extremely argumentative. They enjoy debates just for the sake of debating.

    They will take absolutely no precaution to respect the feelings of their adversaries. It doesn't mean they want to deliberately hurt them, though. It's just that they don't care.

    Usually they can use some Fe to mellow this rudeness, but sometimes, the pleasure to ridicule somebody is just too strong. -It's another way to use their Fe, but in a fiendish way-

    ---

    You know Peguy, I still consider you're an awful romantic reactionary. I really mean it. But the difference between me and you is that I don't hold grudges, and that should you offer me to share a pint with you, I'll immediately accept.
    ENTPs are often that way. They provoke you, they test you, they tease you, but they never judge you even if they think to know who you really are.

    It's because there is no Fi involved.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  7. #27
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Wow Peguy, I was just informed that I did in fact see that referenced thread, since I posted in it. I suck. I still don't remember it, though... Oh well.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    217

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    True. You mentioned in the other thread that heated discussion is a way to bond with the other person, and substitute here mentioned being relentless.

    Now when ENTPs act like that to me, it often comes across as you trying to pick a fight. It's like if somebody disagrees with you, you immediately go to Def-con Four; and I'm always scratching my head why.
    For me, when someone disagrees with me, it's like one puppy saying to another puppy, "I'll bite your tail and you tackle me. Let's go!"

    I'm not trying to pick a fight, it's a game. For fun. Because if I learn something new from you, that's fun for me. And the more intense the conversation, the more fun it is. Like in a friendly game of tennis, some people like to just hit the ball back and forth and some people like to bring it on.

    Of course, once I turned 25 I figured out that other people felt much differently about it. Now that I think about it, I was around 29. Late bloomer.
    Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Fiver is correct, it is freeing to not have to impress someone, to be accepted for who you really are.

  9. #29
    Systematic chaos Cenomite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    623

    Default

    When I get quiet all of a sudden, it's usually because I think that anything I can say will be pointless (for one reason or another). That or I've just completely lost interest in the conversation.
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

    P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

    P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......


    Eh, I'll finish it later.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemons View Post
    What does it mean when you're able to get an ENTP to shut up really easily? I did not have to throw him a bone at all. Does this mean they're learning?
    When an ENTP has learned something that's of value, that they internalize - there's excitement. It is shown by either, further engagement, clearly saying so (that they have learned), and/or spit-fire thought patterns of trying to tie in the 'learned' to a greater whole/connecting/bigger-picture. With tails wagging!

    If the learning is of a sentimental, moral value, yes, there may be silence, as these need to be processed by introspection. Did you touch his little black heart?

    *unhealthy entp is a moot point of assumption, as, they'd be more likely to attack back or throw the argument with ridiculous sidebars/jokes/sarcasms, etc.

    Never quiet. Unless there's nothing to 'add' to what you've laid out for their extraversion to pick up in the form of energy. You (the person) have thus failed in providing any source of energy to be used for kinetic form. Flatlined.

    But, hey, someone has learned something at least - you, on how to get him (in particular)* to be quiet.
    *(one ENTP at at a time....)

    Truly learned your point?
    Action-reaction.



    Moral: no, as helpful as it would have been to humanity overall, you've still not discovered the ENTP's {punk}'off' switch.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] Question for ENTPs
    By thegirlcandance in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-21-2016, 10:36 AM
  2. [ENTP] So I posted a video on Youtube about ENTP's. Open discussion.
    By evilrubberduckie in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-12-2015, 01:07 AM
  3. [INFP] ENTP chick with serious question about INFP boyfriend
    By digesthisickness in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 08-17-2011, 02:11 PM
  4. [ENTP] Questions for ENTP males
    By bechimo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-27-2011, 06:04 PM
  5. [ENTP] A video about ENTPs told by an ENTP.
    By Oaky in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO