Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post

What I hate the most is reversed snobbery. Whenever I walk into a social gathering, there is always someone who jumps over the table to see which handbag I am carrying or to ask me how I could spend so much on my shoes. Making a big show of trying to embarrass me. I don't understand why people care what others have and don't have. I think it's tacky to judge anyone for how much or how little they've spent. But that's just me...
    +1 This pisses me off to high heaven too. i'm a dude and all but it can happen. i don't even like this when it's subte.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm a coffee snob. If somebody puts Folgers in front of me, I may drink it, depending on how badly I need caffeine ... but I'll whine and complain about it.
    INFJ
    4w5

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    What I hate the most is reversed snobbery. Whenever I walk into a social gathering, there is always someone who jumps over the table to see which handbag I am carrying or to ask me how I could spend so much on my shoes. Making a big show of trying to embarrass me. I don't understand why people care what others have and don't have. I think it's tacky to judge anyone for how much or how little they've spent. But that's just me...
    Yes, this is just as bad. The issue here isn't even really snobbery but people who are using social pressure on others...for whatever biazarre reasons they have for doing it.

I've had people tell me I spend too much on clothes and then I tell them I got a certain item for four dollars at thrift store and then they just go nonplussed, people will never be happy.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Oh yeah, I have this sister-in-law who always asks where I got something when I give a gift to her children. Then if I tell her, she immediately says how much I spent because she already knows how much different stores charge for different things and then she makes a little frowny face. Then she calls later and tells me she took it back and got the money.
    Wow...that's not right.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Snob!
    Aww...Peguy...I love you too

MBTI
    INFP

I read something about that in "psychology today" or whatever the name of that magazine is. People don't realize that just because someone likes brands, luxury, is "cultured" it doesn't make them a snob. Insecure people who want to belong to a group they perceive themselves inferior as are not snobs. In that case the person doesn't feel superior since he/she is trying to "climb". That means the person perceived themselves as inferior and wants to go up the ladder therefore there is no preconceived notion that she/he is better than you.

It's people who feel genuinely superior to everyone around them who are. Yes, there are broke and "uncultured" snobs out there. There are people who believe they are better than you no matter what you do.

Oh boy, reversed snobbery is rampant in my school. I've had people dislike my shoes after learning which store I bought them from when they initially liked them.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Dwigie View Post
    I read something about that in "psychology today" or whatever the name of that magazine is. People don't realize that just because someone likes brands, luxury, is "cultured" it doesn't make them a snob. Insecure people who want to belong to a group they perceive themselves inferior as are not snobs. In that case the person doesn't feel superior since he/she is trying to "climb". That means the person perceived themselves as inferior and wants to go up the ladder therefore there is no preconceived notion that she/he is better than you.

It's people who feel genuinely superior to everyone around them who are. Yes, there are broke and "uncultured" snobs out there. There are people who believe they are better than you no matter what you do.

Oh boy, reversed snobbery is rampant in my school. I've had people dislike my shoes after learning which store I bought them from when they initially liked them.
    There are styles I love, and brands I tend to find suit me well. Some of them tend to be expensive... unless you find them at Goodwill, Salvation Army, Ross... I like what I like. I like it better if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I had a yard sale with a couple of friends last spring and I threw in a bunch of clothing I hadn't worn for over six months. One buyer who picked up some of my stuff for about $7 said "You do realize this is $150 worth of clothing?"

Yup. I paid less than half of that, and you're getting it for a tenth. Is that a problem?

Accept any compliments and don't tell anyone where you bought it. That's my advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    It's not a zero sum game. You're still a dork.

MBTI
    istp

i think almost everyone is guilty of some degree of snobbery, it's a form of pride, or sense of self-superiority... always undeserved in the grand perspective of our world.

how ironic, to put down the prideful.