User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Only if they give me their liver in return.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    ^ I'd give you one of mine YLJ
    Good, then i'd have three!

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm going to be an organ donor (when I update my license.. I'm too lazy to go to the DMV's twice, so I hope I don't die between now and then.) so I don't care who gets my parts once I'm gone. If blind kids get to see, and people get to live because of parts that are going to decay anyways, it's all the better. My soul isn't in my kidneys, they can both go after that.
    That reminds me of how my mother pressured me into being an organ donor when I first got my driver's lisence. I just renewed it, so, in 5 years, I may amend that decision.

Not that I don't want to be generous, but I never got the chance to sit down and seriously weigh that decision. (My mother looked at me like I was crazy when I wasn't sure I wanted to.) It bothers me to think of someone "scavenging" my organs to use them.

Anyway. Since the chance of donating a kidney to someone I love is very, very small, it's unlikely anyone will get a kidney. However, should it prove possible to donate to someone I cared about, I would probably donate a kidney to my brother or whomever I was married to. I would not donate a kidney to my mother, though I love her very much, because it seems like I would be working against a natural progression. (She's going to die much sooner than my brother. And I'm sure she would want me to save my brother before her since he's her child.)

All that said, I'd probably only do it if there was no other choice. I really like my organs, and I'd like to keep them as long as possible.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Kyuuei: If I die you can honestly have my kidney

As long as you build me a shrine and worship me every now and then.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ Deal.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I'm going to be an organ donor (when I update my license.. I'm too lazy to go to the DMV's twice, so I hope I don't die between now and then.) so I don't care who gets my parts once I'm gone.
    The interesting thing about organ donation via drivers license, etc, is that most of the body parts aren't salvageable for transplants anyway - I think skin is, and maybe one organ, and maybe the cornea, but kidneys are not, and most others aren't. Something I learned not too long ago. For most transplants, they require a live donor (a lot of tests need to be done beforehand anyway to make sure it's a viable match) or, if that's not possible, it's an organ from a brain-dead donor, which is what they term 'deceased donor'. I found that interesting when I learned about it.

Actually this whole scenario came up very recently, as my father (age 63) is in need of a kidney. I realized exactly how selfish and sucky I am, when I wasn't keen on donating a kidney to him. Granted, I had reasons for not wanting to do it (I don't think I have a great kidney/filtration system to begin with -- bladder infections now and then, I've had kidney stone episodes twice...), but ultimately I was reticent to give up one of my organs. (Turns out I'm not a viable donor anyway, due to multiple kidney stone instances and the fact that I still have 3 tiny ones sitting in the base of one of my kidneys, but, yeah...I still suck.)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    That reminds me of how my mother pressured me into being an organ donor when I first got my driver's lisence. I just renewed it, so, in 5 years, I may amend that decision.

Not that I don't want to be generous, but I never got the chance to sit down and seriously weigh that decision. (My mother looked at me like I was crazy when I wasn't sure I wanted to.) It bothers me to think of someone "scavenging" my organs to use them.
    I understand this entirely. Some people would feel like an old car being taken apart for parts and then sent to the scrap metal area. I don't think it's for everyone.. but. I can't imagine being so attached to my worldly self that I refused to allow anyone else to live as long as they can.

Science has made a lot possible. People can see when they were born blind, people can live when they were terminal, and people can function with the charity of others. It's a whole new world out there, and I refuse to let something that is so valuable and necessary for someone else rot away uselessly just because I wanted mommy to look at my dead body. I don't want to remembered for being dead. The less memory of that the better. So if I look like an old scrapped car, that's fine. The people that matter and from my time will remember how I once was, and memory lasts longer than my body. I celebrate life, and if other people can celebrate it after I'm gone, I'll make that call every single time.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I realized exactly how selfish and sucky I am, when I wasn't keen on donating a kidney to him.
    See, I don't want to rub in your sucky-feelings already existing, but I cannot understand this mentality. I'd have immediately gone and seen if I were a candidate, and then made a decision based on that. If I wasn't a proper donor, there's no guilt or feelings of distress that I didn't try or something. If I was.. I probably would talk to my father about it and decide between ourselves, him and I, and my SO if he were a factor.

Either way, I'm sorry you didn't go find out how donor-worthy you were first. That sort of guilt tends to linger forever, when you realize just making a command decision would have helped out a lot.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

See, I don't want to rub in your sucky-feelings already existing, but I cannot understand this mentality. I'd have immediately gone and seen if I were a candidate, and then made a decision based on that. If I wasn't a proper donor, there's no guilt or feelings of distress that I didn't try or something. If I was.. I probably would talk to my father about it and decide between ourselves, him and I, and my SO if he were a factor.
    That's fine, that's you.

Either way, I'm sorry you didn't go find out how donor-worthy you were first. That sort of guilt tends to linger forever, when you realize just making a command decision would have helped out a lot.
    This is kind of patronizing. It's equally bad to do something as giant as donating an organ, when your heart isn't really in it, and then spend the rest of your life being resentful (especially if problems arise as a result of the surgery for you or the donee, or the donee rejects the kidney, or health issues down the road) or having done it because you felt guilt-tripped into doing it. That's the wrong reason to do it as well.

I'm just being honest. I'm not wired the same as you, so think about these things differently. I guess I don't have a kneejerk, "Yes!" reaction to the prospect. I need a lot more time to sift through things. And donating an organ is NOT a flippant thing. There are many impacts and potential risks to the donor as well.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    This is kind of patronizing. It's equally bad to do something as giant as donating an organ, when your heart isn't really in it, and then spend the rest of your life being resentful (especially if problems arise as a result of the surgery for you or the donee, or the donee rejects the kidney, or health issues down the road) or having done it because you felt guilt-tripped into doing it. That's the wrong reason to do it as well.

I'm just being honest. I'm not wired the same as you, so think about these things differently. I guess I don't have a kneejerk, "Yes!" reaction to the prospect. I need a lot more time to sift through things. And donating an organ is NOT a flippant thing. There are many impacts and potential risks to the donor as well. If I had a spouse I have a feeling I'd want to do it in a heartbeat.
    I'm not being patronizing. I am just saying I am sorry you didn't go rule out how eligible you were first. Obviously there's some guilt on there that you hesitated about your father's need, because you wrote twice in one post about how much you suck. You don't suck for taking in all of the options and weighing the consequences for yourself. But the guilt could have been avoided by confirming beforehand.

There turned out to be nothing to weigh, pro or con, because you weren't a donor in the first place. You weren't a proper candidate. You were, so to say, looking for baby clothes before taking a pregnancy test.

I truly don't understand the mentality of panicking before it's time to, is what I was saying. I don't dislike you, and I have no reason to take a stab at you about anything. You weren't wrong in what you did, I was saying it's just beyond what I can grasp, and I was sorry you had that guilt residing within you.