User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Question Why are people changing their names?

It seems like a lot of people are changing their user names. If you did, why?

On a related note, I find avatar or name changes destabilizing as I tend to associate these with who you ARE to me. Is anyone else like this?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I'm against name changes.

But regarding avatars, I feel as you do, which is exactly why I change mine fairly often. You have to display the facets, you know ...

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I'm against name changes.

But regarding avatars, I feel as you do, which is exactly why I change mine fairly often. You have to display the facets, you know ...
    Why not just use an avatar that captures the whole? I can't keep up with people when they change too quickly. Sometimes I wish we had to use photos of ourselves, but maybe this makes me more S? Seems like it would be more personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    It seems like a lot of people are changing their user names. If you did, why?

On a related note, I find avatar or name changes destabilizing as I tend to associate these with who you ARE to me. Is anyone else like this?
    If it's done too frequently, I also have the same trouble.

Why not just use an avatar that captures the whole? I can't keep up with people when they change too quickly. Sometimes I wish we had to use photos of ourselves, but maybe this makes me more S? Seems like it would be more personal.
    It would be more personal. But I'm guessing many people dislike that on principle.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    It would be more personal. But I'm guessing many people dislike that on principle.
    It would be harder to be rude, methinks.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

That's actually a pretty common reaction.

Avatars and names serve as visual and audible pointers to individuals in brain wiring, and even when the person changes some details about themselves, the pointers tend to stay in place.

It's hard to change one pointer into another pointer.

You should see the fun when someone changes their name or whatever else in real life, it takes forever for people to reprogram.

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Some people feel they are better represented as "who they are" by posting something other than a picture of their physical appearance.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

It would be harder to be rude, methinks.
    Hey Synarch. Why do you think it would be harder to be rude if members used actual photos of themselves as avatars? Just curious. I think it might deter some from being rude, but others would be rude regardless...

Just my .02.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

If I knew how I could do it, I think I would have done it before. I actually misspelled mijn username. I wanted it to be "Saint Kat" because my real name is Katalin and most people call me Kat (the Saint part is because my family thinks I'm an extremely good kid while I'm not, so it's kinda sarcastisc, not that I think I'm a saint or anything). But who cares? Saint Kar sounds good as well, so I wouldn't change it anymore.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

I changed mine (from EvanTheClown) so people would quit confusing me with the forum member "Evan"

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Clownmaster View Post
    I changed mine (from EvanTheClown) so people would quit confusing me with the forum member "Evan"
    Thank you, actually I had gotten confused between the two of you, so this helped.... except I still think of you as "EvanTheClown" in my head. (I.e., I have to translate "Clownmaster" back to "ETC" in my head). Human beings are funny.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft