User Tag List

First 1234 Last

I am not bothered by this changes.

If they change both at the same time you just go to their profile and look what threads they have open and read some of their debates. If someone quoted them you will see their old name.

Since my sensing sucks I don't pay too much attention to avatars. I simply read the name.

Post count can also give them away if they post a lot.

I don't see the problem.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    You should see the fun when someone changes their name or whatever else in real life, it takes forever for people to reprogram.
    Oh, I bet. That would be weird.

Some people feel they are better represented as "who they are" by posting something other than a picture of their physical appearance.
    Well, that's true. But, who you are to others is dictated in large part by your appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Hey Synarch. Why do you think it would be harder to be rude if members used actual photos of themselves as avatars? Just curious. I think it might deter some from being rude, but others would be rude regardless...
    For me personally it would make them more real to me. Also, what someone looks like is important information to me. I might not curse when talking to a younger person, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Clownmaster View Post
    I changed mine (from EvanTheClown) so people would quit confusing me with the forum member "Evan"
    That makes sense. I often confused you both.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Since my sensing sucks I don't pay too much attention to avatars. I simply read the name.
    I have seen this with some of the other INTX's. Many of them turn off avatars, which I find hard to imagine.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post

I have seen this with some of the other INTX's. Many of them turn off avatars, which I find hard to imagine.
    Actually it doesn't suck. It is just that I have to invest extra energy to see all the details. What can damage my line of thought.
    So I don't pay too much attention to them.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I changed my name from Elaur to Laurie after 2 years on another (very small) forum I'm on. I like people calling me my real name.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Well, that's true. But, who you are to others is dictated in large part by your appearance.
    Yes, but here the only appearance you "get" is their online appearance aka avatar. If it was just about a visual lock, you should be locked on their first avatar's appearance.

Hmmm, why is the PHYSICAL appearance (which is entirely irrelevant online) so important, do you think?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Speaking of which, can I get umlauts on my U's?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

does it bother you when people change their appearance frequently irl?

i just think some people are more fluid and it's important to them to express different facets as tiltyred said.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Enneagram
    9w8

I only come up with a different username when I wish to renew my anonymity online - if one did a search under my former primary name they would find all of my posts, thoughts and personal bits from the fora I used to participate in.

I actually associate the usernames with a bit of who I am, as well - because I create them very carefully, as I know the power names can hold. A personal thing, I suppose.

My name(s) involve truly core parts of me, but avatars... I only change those when my current mindset alters in some large manner, or I wish my 'physical representation' online to be expressed in a certain way.

MBTI
    INTP

I actually like it when people change their avatars. It gives me another clue as to their personality and what they like and want to be identified with. I see it as a window to their personality, much like clothes can be. I actually don't really like it when people use their own pictures as their avs. I find it a bit distracting. It's like they're waving to me from their family vacations or something.

I'd change mine more often, but I'm lazy and never get around to it.
    Something Witty

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Some people aren't cool enough to come up with a good name the first time.