Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post

The Indian's smoked marijuan before losing themselves in trances, visions, meditation, and rituals. Hindu and Buddhist monks used marijuana as a way of achieving a sense of whole-ness; being.

Many of the world's most finest visionaries, seers, sages, holy figures, and icons engaged in this drug.
    You can't honestly believe all this junk. Your source must be that other forum.

Were those indians tokin up on a reservation last week at the time? Did you spot those Hindu and budist munks smokin on campus because they couldn't find a snickers bar or just forgot what they were looking for? Were these visionaries and holy figures signed in at the port of hope?

To be fair, there are a lot of reeferheads that surely can articulate better than i on here. I'd also like to say that gonjy otta be at least decriminalized. And that comes from someone that doesn't smoke
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    weed isn't strong enough, to need any cautious discussion, but for the other stuff i would say...
    Yup, strong being the key word.

The problem with drugs is that for it to be effective, it needs to be relatively strong... or the does has to be pretty high. So weed is "safe", especially if you are using a bong, but it's safe because it is (relatively) ineffective. It's like taking children's Tylenol vs T3's. Not only is dosage low, but it's just not that effective of a drug.

Hence, the drama around weed is pretty comical. I'm solidly in the 'wtf were they thinking when the classified this drug'. It doesn't belong even remotely close a schedule 1 drug. And the demonizing of it makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Yup, strong being the key word.

The problem with drugs is that for it to be effective, it needs to be relatively strong... or the does has to be pretty high. So weed is "safe", especially if you are using a bong, but it's safe because it is (relatively) ineffective. It's like taking children's Tylenol vs T3's. Not only is dosage low, but it's just not that effective of a drug.

Hence, the drama around weed is pretty comical. I'm solidly in the 'wtf were they thinking when the classified this drug'. It doesn't belong even remotely close a schedule 1 drug. And the demonizing of it makes no sense.
    This is where I disagreed with you.

Effectiveness is entirely dependent on the purpose. So in what sense are you speaking of marijuana's effectiveness?

If it's for altering perceptions from reality in order to gain insight, such as the original poster was looking to do, then marijuana could very well be an aid in this sense, based on my own personal experience with the substance. But he would only know if it works for him in that way if he tried it personally.

Tylenol is used to treat minor pain and inflammation, and it's certainly effective when used for that purpose. Tylenol 3 is effective if you are in such pain you require an opiate, but it's going to be completely ineffective if you are looking for a substance to stimulate appetite.

Thus, effectiveness is entirely dependent on the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatspby
    The problem with drugs is that for it to be effective, it needs to be relatively strong... or the does has to be pretty high
    by "strong" i was actually referring to the type of alternation of consciousness.

like alcohol, weed can be overdosed, make you vomit and drop out. it's strong in that sense. but it is not strong enough to change you and your world view in such a way, that you might not be able to adjust to it properly, intellectually, psychologically so that therefore you should be warned in advance. you can put the weed experience in a box and label it "duh that was some paranoid shit - i never do that again". then you are back to normal. (few people get messed up, see keywords depersonalisation, derealisation)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    gonjy otta be at least decriminalized. And that comes from someone that doesn't smoke
    Former smoker here, who is against marijuana usage at all.

But, even I'm for decriminalization, because they have to make room in jails for people who go in for petty possession charges, letting people with more serious crimes get shorter sentences or be released entirely.

For those of you who don't know the difference between illegal and decriminalized, here's how it works.

Illegal - Go directly to jail. Do not pass go; do not collect $200.

Decriminalized - You get a ticket and your pot is confiscated. You then bitch for awhile.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    Thus, effectiveness is entirely dependent on the purpose.
    I would be hard pressed to find a purpose that it was 'effective' at... It's a pretty random drug.

*shrug* If it works for you, great.

If a substance was entirely ineffective, as in having no effect at all, then there would be no purpose to use it.

Yet, marijuana is fairly common all over the world, and has been used for thousands of years, so I'd venture to say plenty of people find it effective, likely for a variety of purposes.

I don't personally have a use for it currently. I would suggest people ignore opinions about effectiveness, since they are so highly subjective, and instead try it themselves, if they have an interest, and judge for themselves whether it's effective for their purpose.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    infp

I entirely suggest right now that you just smoke some and get it over with.

It really, really, really, really isn't this big of a deal. It's not going to fuck up your life or your mind or anything else for that matter unless you let it yourself and/or are irresponsible

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by whimsical View Post
    I entirely suggest right now that you just smoke some and get it over with.

It really, really, really, really isn't this big of a deal. It's not going to fuck up your life or your mind or anything else for that matter unless you let it yourself and/or are irresponsible
    I know. It's not, and I didn't mean for it to be a big fiasco. Plans changed, so I won't be able to today..but we'll see what life decides to throw my way..

Telling me it's bad, and illegal, and whatnot won't change my mind. Why follow rules your whole life? You'll never live. Plus, I guarantee 9 out of 10 posters in this thread have used or use it frequently..and it's not a big deal.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    infp

I smoke it every day

and I am one cool cat, obviously