User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    what sort of insights are you hoping for?

i used to have a fascination with something, all my life, ever since i had seen some picture book for children with a fly agaric and little folks living inside of it ... something about visions ... and hoped to get my hands on some weed, but when i got it some day, somehow weed wasn't it ... i was so disappointed, that i somehow tossed my original fascination altogether... not sure, how or why i could forget about it so completely. it entered my head again nine years later. and i think that break was a good thing, because without these nine years of natural development, my interpretations of actual visions might have been quite problematic. live is so weird. you become who you have always been underneath, somehow. and it still takes that long.

lurchi, the little salamander shaman ascending ....
    Wow, that's awesome. I've always been attracted to fairy tail themes and fantasy lands like that. I don't think weed is the answer, but it's still fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Pretty much all the drugs being talked about here are pointless to start taking - it's a culture of myth. Caffeine being a small exception, if you take it in concentrated doses occasionally. They are, at best, recreational... and rather poor choices at that. It's not a big deal either way, although I am strongly in the 'pick drugs wisely' category... so do or do not do, but there is nothing particularly special about it. And the more 'special' you want, the more serious the drug. THC isn't that high up there as far as that goes, and has more long term side effects.

If you are interesting in 'performance drugs', I suggest reading about Nootropics.
    Yeah, I was totally over estimating it, I got carried away. It is what it is, and it's not too much.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I've never been too excited about drugs as a source or recreation and it's been awhile since I've had anything other than beer. I did however have a routine for a while where I would come home from work, turn on music, start a fire, then smoke up and drink, thinking deeply for hours before I went to bed. It was always an EXTREMELY insightful experience. I would close my eyes, relax my body and go over the day's events, refecting on every moment that transpired, and really absorbing all of the details and effects of the day. Then I would think about what I wanted to do with the next day or how to prepare for some future event or goal. The result was that I was incredibly successful day to day and also very centered and calm in my interactions with others. I have never been happier than I was at that time.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    I'm lost.

Apart of me is wanting to try it.

But there's apart of me that feels guilty and sad..as if some moral side to me is dying.
    I read everyone's comment and I can't disagree with anyone, so i'm pretty indecisive. I think I'm overthinking it, and making it a bigger deal than it is.

Forgive me if I seem naive. I'm young and trying to sound bigger than I am.

Who knows..thanks everyone.
    Hey no problem. I recognize my own thoughts in that, back in the days when I was 17 and had never smoked.

I've been smoking pot frequently for the past decade or so. The last few years I've smoked it almost every day, but in small concentration. An average day for me is : wake up, go to work, go home, feeding/nurturing my babygirl, do some sports, talk and eat with the misses and after that I usually smoke 1 joint and then do some gardening or guitar to relax my mind. That's it. By which I mean I'm leading a perfectly normal life.
    I have no problem whatsoever to skip a day or even a few days. To me it's a means for relaxation, an anti-depressant and stimulating for my creativity.

If you never did pot before this is my best advise :

3 things can happen :
    -you don't feel any effect
    -you feel relaxed and giggly, inspired etc. (all the good things in other words)
    -your heart starts racing, you become paranoid about thoughts and surroundings.

It's critical to do it for the first time in a safe and comfortable environment with the right people. This goes for shrooms and more potent drugs, but some people are sensitive even to marijuana. Always keep in mind that the effect will wear out in a few hours. So even if you don't particulary like it, it's all just temporary.

Even as a user, I'm critical to both the pro's and con's of pot. One major CON of pot is that it's basically a "depressant" instead of an anti-depressant. The feeling is usually good, but it has an almost unnoticeable downer effect in the long run.

The best opinion ever written on pot is by scientist Carl Sagan imho :
    "the illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.~ Carl Sagan"

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Pretty much all the drugs being talked about here are pointless to start taking - it's a culture of myth. Caffeine being a small exception, if you take it in concentrated doses occasionally. They are, at best, recreational... and rather poor choices at that. It's not a big deal either way, although I am strongly in the 'pick drugs wisely' category... so do or do not do, but there is nothing particularly special about it. And the more 'special' you want, the more serious the drug. THC isn't that high up there as far as that goes, and has more long term side effects.

If you are interesting in 'performance drugs', I suggest reading about Nootropics.
    I'd have to disagree. There's a reason marijuana, psilocybin mushrooms, peyote, naturally occuring DMT, salvia etc. have been used by civilizations for thousands of years. The same can be applied to any category of drugs - we use them because they make us feel different than sober reality.

These drugs belong to the category of psychedelics. There are psychoactive, in that they temporarily alter the thought processes and, thus, our perceptions.

This is what "gaining insight" is all about. Sometimes we know what we're looking for, we can almost see it, but it's not quite within our grasp. Sometimes we already know the answer, it only requires us to look at it from a different angle to completely understand. And when we do this, we have our AH-HA moment, and insight is gained.

I'm certainly not saying that substances are critical for achieving this, but rather they chemically force you into a mindset where you are more capable of achieving them. I like to think of psychoactives as opening doors of perception, some of these doors may have previously been closed.

When it comes to psychedelics, I strongly believe that your experience entirely depends on your goal for the experience. What do you expect to gain out of an alteration of your perception?

If all you want to do is party and have fun and laugh, that's fine, but realize that's all you're going to get.

If you want to have a session where you are in an environment where you contemplate your thoughts and feelings, make connections, understand things from a different perspective, then psychedelics can help you do this.

I think the main misconception here is that these drugs will have an effect beyond your control. If you go into the experience expecting something to come out of nothing, nothing is exactly what you'll get. If you enter knowing what you're looking for, and you look for it, then they could certainly assist you.

They won't MAKE you do or realize anything you aren't already capable of. They are simply a tool - it's entirely up to you how you choose use that tool, and your entire experience depends on that.

Describing chemically-induced altered perceptions is only so effective, especially to someone who has never been out of the sober mindset. Essentially, there is absolutely NO way for you to know for certain how marijuana will effect you unless you try it yourself. Only then can you decide whether it's something useful to you.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    I'd have to disagree.
    I'm not sure exactly where we disagree... except in degree. Drugs have an effect... but I think the effect you are talking about is overstated... and in general, we have progressed beyond 'natural' drugs a fair bit... there are "real" performance drugs. That, and anything that deals with perceptions through brain chemistry is inherently dangerous to mess with. It will have short and long term effects.

heart on fire

So when an N gets high, are they more in touch with their senses and in the moment?

I've never been drunk or high. Too many substance addicted people in my family frightened me off the idea by the time I was nine I vowed never to do so and never did.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I think art museums are the best insight-enhancing drugs.

people spread so much crap about drugs. but it's fascinating how difficult the topic is. it rejects language. i find that i am hardly capable of writing about drugs, without making some statements, that imply further crap, subtler crap but not less significant crap, than the original crap that i try to eliminate.

weed isn't strong enough, to need any cautious discussion, but for the other stuff i would say... don't rely on a single source, and try to get advice by someone experienced who has your own physical and psychological constitution. yeah i know, rather impossible for some of us. and if you were a little shithead, your correlating adviser would be a shithead too. duh. i guess you are on your own then. sorry ...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Yeah not drunk or high here either, ever. I'm weird enough already. I don't want to lose any more contact with reality.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Hey no problem. I recognize my own thoughts in that, back in the days when I was 17 and had never smoked.

I've been smoking pot frequently for the past decade or so. The last few years I've smoked it almost every day, but in small concentration. An average day for me is : wake up, go to work, go home, feeding/nurturing my babygirl, do some sports, talk and eat with the misses and after that I usually smoke 1 joint and then do some gardening or guitar to relax my mind. That's it. By which I mean I'm leading a perfectly normal life.
    I have no problem whatsoever to skip a day or even a few days. To me it's a means for relaxation, an anti-depressant and stimulating for my creativity.

If you never did pot before this is my best advise :

3 things can happen :
    -you don't feel any effect
    -you feel relaxed and giggly, inspired etc. (all the good things in other words)
    -your heart starts racing, you become paranoid about thoughts and surroundings.

It's critical to do it for the first time in a safe and comfortable environment with the right people. This goes for shrooms and more potent drugs, but some people are sensitive even to marijuana. Always keep in mind that the effect will wear out in a few hours. So even if you don't particulary like it, it's all just temporary.

Even as a user, I'm critical to both the pro's and con's of pot. One major CON of pot is that it's basically a "depressant" instead of an anti-depressant. The feeling is usually good, but it has an almost unnoticeable downer effect in the long run.

The best opinion ever written on pot is by scientist Carl Sagan imho :
    "the illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.~ Carl Sagan"
    yep...totally agree with every word.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison