User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you afraid of water? (the lake, the beach, etc.)

70. You may not vote on this poll
  • NF - afraid of water/hate the water (explain)

1 1.43%
  • NT - afraid of water/hate the water (explain)

0 0%
  • SJ - afraid of water/hate the water (explain)

1 1.43%
  • SP - afraid of water/hate the water (explain)

0 0%
  • NF - nervous/indifferent to the water (explain)

4 5.71%
  • NT - nervous/indifferent to the water (explain)

6 8.57%
  • SJ - nervous/indifferent to the water (explain)

0 0%
  • SP - nervous/indifferent to the water (explain)

0 0%
  • NF - love/enjoy the water

20 28.57%
  • NT - love/enjoy the water

25 35.71%
  • SJ - love/enjoy the water

5 7.14%
  • SP - love/enjoy the water

8 11.43%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you afraid of water?

The only time I've been afraid of water is when I was canoeing on a lake in Glacier Nt'l Park... the water was crystal clear but the water just got dark in the middle of the lake, because it was a lake from run-off inbetween two huge mountains (really damn deep)... I couldn't get the picture out of my head, but I don't mind being on the Ocean. Otherwise, I love it.
    Last edited by Kanamori; 04-22-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Alright I'll admit it, I don't know how to swim, and every time I try to learn I honestly have a significant fear of just being in the water. I love water at any other time except when it's 10 feet deep and I'm thrown into it.

I love it.

I'm still made anxious by murky water though. Would never walk along a river bank unless there was 4 or 5 metres between the water and me. I keep imagining some thing bursting out and dragging me back under in a split-second.

Senior Member Array The Outsider's Avatar
    5w4 sx

I'm not a very good swimmer and I've almost drowned a few times in my childhood, but I still love water. Might feel a bit nervous at first, when it is deep, but I get over it once I'm in.
    I voted the last option, because I still really love water.

Senior Member Array StoryOfMyLife's Avatar

I love the water... I was the kid who threw a hissy fit when it was time to get out of the pool. Something about the way the liquid feels when I swim or move through it...I don't know, I've always been a water-lovin' child. I could lay on my back and float around for hours at a man-made pond at a camp resort we used to visit...I also had fond dreams of magically turning into a mermaid.

Extremely deep water with nothing surrounding me makes me nervous, though- I think it's more of a fear of being alone, rather than the actual water itself. And, water that I cannot see into is rather questionable to me- who knows what lurks beneath the surface? Seaweed or glass and what not.

I've swam in the ocean before and that didn't bother me too much, even with fishies brushing up against my legs.

I still adore the water, but it's been a very long time since I've actually had a fair chance to go swimming. I make up for it by taking obnoxiously long showers.
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.

9w1 sx/so

not even a tiny bit...i am totally comforted by being around water...if i could i'd live in a house surrounded by it.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

4w3 sx/so
    eNFJ Ni

I used to be on a swim team for years - constantly in and out, so I'm not afraid of water, but oddly enough, now I really hate being immersed. I have no idea where that started or when it became a reality.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P

I love the beach and the ocean. It's stunning.

4, 7

Man, I LOVE water.. Although I cannot swim (cept on mah back), I like to go boogie-boarding- to ride the waves. LOVE IT.

Water sports are cool, so long as it's clean and I don't get sun-burned, I am down 4 it!

I love water. I used to be afraid of water higher than my head before learning how to swim when I was 9 or so.

Ever since then I've just continued to get become a stronger swimmer, just by playing in the pool every summer.

I love the feeling of moving through water as it's so different than movement through air. I no longer feel affected by gravity the way I am on land. I enjoy feeling the water drag on my skin as I crawl through the liquid medium, in any direction I choose. It makes me feel like a fish, I just wish I didn't have to come up for air.

I've learned that the most important thing about water survival is relaxation and fluid movement. It's about maintaining balance, streamlining, and efficiency of movement. If I ever need to rest, I just roll over on my back and float while breathing steadily.

This past winter I've been training in the pool a couple times a week to swim long continuous distances. I've managed to work my way up to a mile so far, and for no other reason than I'd like to be able to comfortably swim long distances in open water, like in the ocean when I go to the beach.