User Tag List

View Poll Results: The closest person to you has just committed murder. What do you do?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • help your friend bury the body and remain silent during their defense if they are caught

19 28.36%
  • help your friend bury the body and if they got caught take the blame and take their punishment

1 1.49%
  • help your friend bury the body- but break down and confess of your knowledge if they get caught

0 0%
  • refuse to help the friend but don't report them

21 31.34%
  • refuse to help the friend and report them to the authorities but visit them in prison

20 29.85%
  • refuse to help, report them to authorities, and cut off ties and friendship with them completely

6 8.96%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

If it was an act of self-defence (yeah, it's illegal in Sweden...), I would help. Or if it was the murder of someone worth hating, like a drug dealer, serial killer, rapist, pedophile etc.

If it was an act of psychosis, bloodlust, greed or something else, I would report the friend to the authorities and cut off the ties.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    E.

After some thought, it seems unfair to force others to suffer for circumstances outside of their control. Irrespective of circumstance between victim and aggressor, the victim's family/friends deserve closure.
    Yeah, if option G) isn't a real option, I'd have to pick E. Irregardless of my personal attachment to my friend/feelings....it is the only way to uphold my belief in justice for murder.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Yeah if it was for self defense, or something where both parties pretty much knew the risks.
    Otherwise the guy's a self rigteous coward, and those aren't my friends. SO yeah, I wouldn't mind helping a friend at all (i mean it). But I wouldn't consider them to be my friends if they had a character flaw allowing for a sort of murder i'd 'disaprove of'.

I doubt I'd befriend such a person in the first place anyway, so my answer is basically, yes i'd help, but i probably wouldn't actively support them past the bare necessity. I'd defend them by telling they're not the type of person who and so on. But I don't think I'd lie by saying there were with me at the time or something like that.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Theoretically, I'm not taking into account my "real" closest friend, but thinking about what I would do if a closest friend of mine committed murder. I think I should remain objective because it's actually a good way for me to decide what to do in advance and not let my emotions get in the way of the right course of action. I would choose the last option.

But that's only if they did it in cold blood. In that case, they are a sociopath and so for the welfare of me and those I care about I should cut off all ties and they should be imprisoned.

If it was in self defense, I would choose something not on the list: I would help them report it to authorities but would stand by them in their defense.

A crime of passion? I would probably report them but visit them in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    Theoretically, I'm not taking into account my "real" closest friend, but thinking about what I would do if a closest friend of mine committed murder.
    I tried to imagine the closest person to me, the one I love the most....my mother, in the above situation.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Yeah, if option G) isn't a real option, I'd have to pick E. Irregardless of my personal attachment to my friend/feelings....it is the only way to uphold my belief in justice for murder.
    Absolutely.

I have a hard time justifying suffering on the basis of kinship. Seems selfish to think that the intensity of my association provides a reasonable premise to obstruct progress for something as profound as murder.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

If the murder was cold blood, most definatly avoidable, or due to a situation that my friend was responsible for.

Then totally "refuse to help, report them to authorities, and cut off ties and friendship with them completely".

If it was more like an accident, I'd still force them to turn themselves in, but wouldn't cut off ties.

There's no way I will make my hands dirty in any way due to someone elses actions, so I would never help someone bury any body.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Absolutely.

I have a hard time justifying suffering on the basis of kinship. Seems selfish to think that the intensity of my association provides a reasonable premise to obstruct progress for something as profound as murder.
    This is why - You keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I believe in justice but I don't believe our system is just. So I would not report or testify, and would ask all my friends to not even tell me about anything - I just don't want to know because then I would feel obligated to tell.

If someone came to my house in the middle of the night in a panic and started to tell me a story - I would shut them up, hand them a fistful of cash and tell them to never contact me again. If they chose to continue to contact me, every word out of my mouth would be me begging them to confess.

The way I rationalize it: if they were truly a sociopath, they wouldn't care that they murdered and probably wouldn't tell me anyway. I would find out about it when I see them on the news, like everyone else.

Edit: if questioned by the police though, I would definitely admit to handing them cash and refusing to hear the story. I don't think I'm above the law...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It depends on what the murder was and why they did it - i.e., context and the state of their heart. I care about who people are rather than necessarily what they do (although what they do is one signifier of who they are).

I can't just cut people out of my life, but depending on their character, it could change how I interact with them or how often/committed I'd be to seeing them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft