User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    Is that a horse thing? If so...no. Well, unless you're the horse!
    It's a weapon thing. He learned to use one when he worked at the Elizabeth II, a replica sailing ship from the Elizabethan era on Roanoke Island. They did living history and would do demonstrations of everything from blacksmithing to.. well, mainly just blacksmithing. And fighting, but that was mainly because they got bored when there were no tourists around and one of the guys there was a huge ren-faire geek who did all that SCA swordfighting stuff. Very, very geeky, so pretty INTP-friendly, but still kind of a sport.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENTJ

I wanted to be an archeologist... But I could never do that now.

MBTI
    INTJ

I wanted to be a cop. Hasn't really changed, though I'm more partial to detective or criminal psychologist these days.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

MBTI
    INFP

I wanted to be an environmental journalist when 7 years of age, on. don't ask me where i came up with that. I think part of it was sincere interest, and part was due to the looks I received from people for being so young with such a specialized interest. i decided that i could only wear earth tones til i was about 14. earth tones = socially aware? only in my mind.

I'm still very social issue-oriented, and dig writing a lot, but it's too rigid for me. As my last boss liked to say, I'm a very flowery, poetic writer. Not good for journalism. not good at all.
    INFP
    Cancer
    4w5 so

I want(ed) to be an inventor/discoverer of some life transforming technology, techique, or theory. Though I didn't use the same words, it has been that way since I was about 8 years old.

I could probably patent some of the stuff I've worked on, but some need to be kept "Trade Secret" by the company I work for (and I am a bit lazy when it comes to the legal paperwork).

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    yupp

As a child I wanted to be a, writer,astronaut, actress, fireman, doctor and inventor. I was indesisive as a child, every time I would learn about a new career I would want that one as well. I'm settling for something in Film preferable documentaries preferably being able to travel alot. It's not really settling because it's what I want to do. Not that anyone really cares. *goes reads rest of the thread*

MBTI
    enfp

astronaut.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    There sure are a whole lot of would-be astronauts here!
    I think it's very closely related to our times. I'm sure just about every one of us over the age of 20 or so once wanted to be an astronaut, and our teachers perpetually pushed it. I know that most kids when I was in grade school wanted to be astronauts and the teachers would go on about astronauts, space travel, etc. It was the most popular thing on the minds of most people in education at the time... In fact, it was so important that I remember watching shuttle launches in class every time they happened, and this was probably due to the Teacher In Space Program... In fact, I remember watching the Challenger disaster as it happened in elementary school...

So, it makes sense to me that there's a bit of a cutoff of interest at about 20 or so years old, because they didn't hear about it perpetually from their teachers after the teachers were freaked out by the disaster that killed one of their own.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I think it's very closely related to our times. I'm sure just about every one of us over the age of 20 or so once wanted to be an astronaut, and our teachers perpetually pushed it. I know that most kids when I was in grade school wanted to be astronauts and the teachers would go on about astronauts, space travel, etc. It was the most popular thing on the minds of most people in education at the time... In fact, it was so important that I remember watching shuttle launches in class every time they happened, and this was probably due to the Teacher In Space Program... In fact, I remember watching the Challenger disaster as it happened in elementary school...

So, it makes sense to me that there's a bit of a cutoff of interest at about 20 or so years old, because they didn't hear about it perpetually from their teachers after the teachers were freaked out by the disaster that killed one of their own.
    I think you have to up that age bracket. I'm 21 therefore born 1986 and we didn't really have much told to us about space.
    (My mom was on bed rest with me for months, and having a crappy day she turns on the TV and sees the shuttle on the news... lol that would be just the crappiest time ever. Plus chernobyl... sigh.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I think you have to up that age bracket. I'm 21 therefore born 1986 and we didn't really have much told to us about space.
    (My mom was on bed rest with me for months, and having a crappy day she turns on the TV and sees the shuttle on the news... lol that would be just the crappiest time ever. Plus chernobyl... sigh.)
    You're not from the US, therefore the NASA program never applied to your teachers (this is provided you went to public school in the US). As such, it never applied to your life and you completely missed the context. Congratulations.

You might be right, though, I should probably up it to 24 or so, because anyone over that probably remembers the incident. There was still space-buzz for at least another 4-6 years after that. I should probably also speculate that anyone under the age of 18 four years ago would be much less likely to have had any interest in becoming an astronaut, with all the accidents and such killing entire crews.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.