First 123412 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

When I was young, I used to play drive-thru with my folks ("Welcome to McDonalds, may I take your order?" and so forth). That is about when I decided that I wanted to work at McDonald's when I grew up. And I eventually got that wish...unfortunately...

I think after my drive-thru games, I wanted to be a cop, because I loved to play cops and robbers and I also obsessively watched cop movies and family-oriented cop shows such as The Commish. I used to make up my own mind movies of cops and robbers and so forth.

Then I got interested in movies themselves. Interested in special effects, writing, and directing.

I think about when the MS-DOS game Disney's Coaster came out, I started getting into roller coasters. When Roller Coaster Tycoon came out, I became obsessed. I wanted to be a roller coaster designer. Unfortunately, I am not the brightest math student, so roller coaster designing is a little out of my league. I still design them on No Limits, occasionally, though.

Then I got back into films again. I wanted to be a film director and screenwriter. Naturally, SJ family members dismissed my dreams for being unrealistic -- that's so typical for an SJ to dash your hopes.

Currently, my interests (related to desired occupations) fluctuate between movies and roller coasters. I'm also into art and design (architecture, fashion design, concept artist, etc.), but I can't afford to go to art school.

So, let's review:

• McDonald's employee (because I was an idiot)
    • Police officer (because I liked playing Cops and Robbers)
    • Filmmaker
    • Roller coaster designer
    • Filmmaker (again)
    • Screenwriter
    • Writer (fiction)
    • Architect
    • Fashion designer
    • Concept artist
    • And now I have no aim...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I always wanted to be a veterinarian when I was a kid. During the short time that I was homeschooled in the 6th grade before my folks put me in the Quaker school, our family vet let me help out a bit here and there to see what it was like. I quickly discovered that vets spend a lot of time with their fingers in animals' asses, and I was no longer that interested.

As a teen I thought I would be a counselor/psychologist. Once I got to college I realized I had no idea what I realistically wanted to and could do, so I majored in what was interesting to me (lit) instead of thinking pragmatically about what would get me a good job. I'm still kind of in that mode I guess, although I am finally (after a mere 10 years) using the lit degree to make money.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Marine Biologist (I really just wanted to swim around with the dolphins at Sea World)
    Ambassador
    Missionary
    Uber Housewife (I wanted six kids and I wanted to home school them all)
    Last edited by cafe; 08-29-2007 at 07:31 AM.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Marine Biologist (I really just wanted to swim around with the dolphins as Sea World)
    Ambassador
    Missionary
    Uber Housewife (I wanted six kids and I wanted to home school them all)
    You wanted to be my housewife?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    You wanted to be my housewife?
    Alas, you were probably in elementary school when I was ready to marry.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

- Dead.

But, if worst came to worst:
    - Marine Biologist
    - Chiropractor
    - Botanist
    - Mechanical Engineer
    - Software Developer (realization that I could make money at my hobby)
    - Software Architect (realization that I could make more things if I designed them, rather than wrote them myself)

... I started on those last two before I was grown up, did some impressive projects in them before I was grown up, and I have done it for a living ever since.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Alas, you were probably in elementary school when I was ready to marry.
    How do you know I didn't skip a few grades?

Okay, I feel this could turn into a discussion about bizarre Roman Catholic rituals, so let's just say that I still, and consistently, have a dream of being an Uber...something or other.

I've often thought about being a children's author.

MBTI
    INFP

I wanted to design space ships that could boldly take us where no man had been before, and work for NASA. I also wanted to be an astronaut who piloted the ships I designed.

I wanted to be a singer but couldn't sing.

Then I watched Indiana Jones and wanted to be an archeologist for awhile until someone told me that it wouldn't be as exciting as the films, and infact most of the time would be spent pleading for grants and paperwork.

Then a doctor until I saw blood, then a writer when I was told you could actually make money from all the short stories i was already writing.

Now it's still a writer, but also Publisher/editor.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    INTJ

I wanted to be a writer.

I'm sure I've flirted with other occupations but I can't for the life of me remember any of them now. Psychologist? Poirot? Prime Minister? ()

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I first wanted to be a programmer, but I found out that it was too complicated and complex for me, so I settled on being a computer administrator later on. Now I want to be a writer or a psychologist as far as the terms of wishful thinking, but in reality want to pursue a safer, steadier job like office work (I'm just not that much of a risk taker.)