First 123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Anyone ever get this - after a word is repeated enough and you hear it enough, you start to lose sense of it, and it sounds funny?
    Yes, all the time -- you basicaly step outside the identifier aspect of the word and just see it in its component parts (the letters, the appearance, just dark lines on paper), unrelated to anything, and then it makes no sense and seems utterly arbtrary.

I have had to be careful, because on occasion the whole idea of language starts to fall apart (one word feels that way, and then as I think about it, more and more words all start to look alien to me and nothing makes sense anymore), and I step back into the linguistic context before I go bugnuts.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, all the time -- you basicaly step outside the identifier aspect of the word and just see it in its component parts (the letters, the appearance, just dark lines on paper), unrelated to anything, and then it makes no sense and seems utterly arbtrary.
    Thank you! Someone understands.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Don't fret. Things are better when they don't make sense.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

This idiot came into one of my classes one day telling us about "grade cusp" and being on "the cusp" in my senior year while everyone was supposed to be getting ready for applying to colleges.

Eventually it turned into "that cusp" because of how much he used the word. It actually became a character of his story.

It was ridiculous. I am now sworn off the word cusp.
    we fukin won boys

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Anyone ever get this - after a word is repeated enough and you hear it enough, you start to lose sense of it, and it sounds funny?

Like for example, if a word is repeated a lot on a video that I see or from someone talking, then the word just starts to sound funny/strange. AND if I write a word repeatedly, it starts to LOOK funny/strange after I keep writing it.
    As the word repeats you are going into a trance.

All the effects of repetition are simply the effects of a trance.

The repetition turns off the cognitive faculties of your brain and so quite naturally you lose the sense of the word.

However as the repetition turns off some cognitive faculties, it turns on some creative faculties.

And it is these creative faculties that look funny and strange.

But they only look funny and strange because we are unfamiliar with them.

And this seems to me rather sad that the creative part of our minds is so foreign.

The fact is you can learn to access the creative part of our mind at will.

You can even learn to design your own trances and become a trance designer.

How bizarre that our society relegates trance to an epi-phenomena.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Repeating 'help' doesn't seem to loose it's sense of value. It's often the last time it's said that it actually has meaning.

*whistles*

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

When I did some voicing for an online fanfic movie the director had me repeat my line over and over for different takes for him to pick whichever he liked. After a bit he said I was not putting anything into it, it had lost all meaning to me. I realized he was right, I was just repeating the sound, not the words.

But yes, that happens to me, we used to have fun with it in high school. "eat" was a good one. There are certain words that are better to lose their meanings.

deleted

I do this with everything. From time to time maybe. It doesn't necessarily have to be repeated. Sometimes I do have to repeat it.

Examples:

familiar places
    names of people
    names of food and drink
    cars
    anything with a pattern, like piano keys and coding
    storylines (thats likely the weirdest one, because at that point I'm confused why it doesn't play out like a predestined one)

A lot of this reordering happens subconsciously.

It's doesn't mean that I forgot them. It's more that I'm confused about them and their meaning.

And this is why cliches are a sign of bad taste.

And why freshly minted words taste good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Repeating 'help' doesn't seem to loose it's sense of value. It's often the last time it's said that it actually has meaning.

*whistles*
    Ya whistling in the dark, mate.