Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing new

21 58.33%
  • Idea scares me a little

1 2.78%
  • This never occured to me- but it is nothing special

14 38.89%
  • This never occured to me- idea scares me a little.

0 0%
First 4567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Firts there should be one extra "as" in that question. (between "thing" and a)
    Yes, as you know, the a versus as made it very hard for me to understand the question.

The point is that all names are just a agreement nothing more.
    The point of a name is to easily and efficiently identify. Not just agreement, the agreement has to be reliable. Thus, it is moreso a conditioning. A dog will not know its name the first time it hears it, even if everyone ELSE knows and agrees with its name. Thus, the true functionality of a name is irrelevant in this case. It needs conditioning to understand that Fluffy means him. Same for humans. Repeated trials with consistent results allows us to identify with a given name.

But this question is here to show how relative things really are.
    Agreement, reliability, repeatability kinda negates this concept of 'relative'.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    "Your meaning" ?
    Is your screen name fake? You clearly made an agreement with yourself on deciding to use "Antisocial one" based on your personal beliefs and value system... So, could you, or would you relate to 284719 as a name?

Does an individual without a name change meaning?
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
    Is your screen name fake? You clearly made an agreement with yourself on deciding to use "Antisocial one" based on your personal beliefs and value system... So, could you, or would you relate to 284719 as a name?

Does an individual without a name change meaning?
    I have chosen that one for the sake of sarcasm.
    Actually I could relate to that name since is sounds technical enough.

But this is one of the biggest problems for me when I am talking to other people. Because I don't really relate to most things. Having a name is purely a practical matter for me. Since I have year of soltude behind me I rarely hear my name and my name is just my name for me.
    I mean I don't identify myself by name.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

what is this philosophy 101?
    what is there to deal with?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

I had intended to say "it's just a name, I don't put any meaning in it." Then. I remembered how I absolutley hate that my sister not only refuses to stop calling me by my childhood nickname-I loath it not only because it's a stupid name but that it's connected to a part of me that I detest and have worked hard to break away from- but that she has taught that name to her children, husband and his entire family.

It just seems so little to ask.

But, asside from that I guess I don't think much about it. It's true, we do not naturally have names, they're a purely societal thing given to us. In that resoect I guess I don't care. It's something I do not inately have so I cannot feel any loss without it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    I had intended to say "it's just a name, I don't put any meaning in it." Then. I remembered how I absolutley hate that my sister not only refuses to stop calling me by my childhood nickname-I loath it not only because it's a stupid name but that it's connected to a part of me that I detest and have worked hard to break away from- but that she has taught that name to her children, husband and his entire family.

It just seems so little to ask.

But, asside from that I guess I don't think much about it. It's true, we do not naturally have names, they're a purely societal thing given to us. In that resoect I guess I don't care. It's something I do not inately have so I cannot feel any loss without it.
    I am one of those folks who hate their given name. A small pleasure of interacting in online spaces is the ability to choose my own name.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Yuu liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

I don't think names are all that important generally, but it's played a powerful role in my life as a trans dude. I rejected my birth name and picked out a new name. It starts with the same letter so that it's not too hard to remember. Riley is also a gender neutral name which was another benefit in choosing it. My name isn't my personal identity so much as it is a statement or a mile marker of my transition process. If I weren't trans I wouldn't feel any special attachment to my name because it's not a 'statement' in that case.
    MBTI: ESFJ
    Enneagram: 6w7 9w1 2w3 so/sx
    Temperament: Phlegmatic | Sanguine
    Astrology: Leo Sun | Aries Moon | Leo Rising
    Johari | Nohari

not a type description

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    297 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I am one of those folks who hate their given name. A small pleasure of interacting in online spaces is the ability to choose my own name.
    Is your name Maribel by any chance? Have NO idea why that name popped into mind for you. Anyways, agreed! Love being able to have that opportunity to choose your name. Interesting thing to note about this ability is it can in part, define how people see you on a forum, as well as give a clue as to how you see yourself. What is in a name?
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I've never liked my entire name and still sort of don't. I've wanted to change it for a long time because it's super old fashioned and sounds blah. I know I should keep in mind the saying, what's in a name, but after years of owning my name and having it attached as your identity, that's how people come to identify you.

However, I think I'm just going to change my last name instead so that it's catchy and flows better with my first name. It will be my pseudonym for now though because legally in my state it costs around $500 to change it. The price I have to pay in order for a new identity.
    "If only every generation would realize that the time for greatness is right now when they’re alive…the time to flower is now."

– Patti Smith

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    297 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I admit I never put much thought into my name, though, I did at one point tell my parents and friends that if I did have a choice in my name, I would name myself Brian. No idea why, the name just appealed to me, still kind of does. Perhaps that'll be my son's name, thereby being his "code".

There are many things we take as "fact" in life, live by the knowledge that what is, is at least acceptable and not worth reconsideration. How much weight you put into various things determines what causes one to ponder more about that supposed "fact", and comes from one's internal value system. Think of your name as how people describe Te and how one uses it. There is a logic, or structure in place, and is not the priority of the Te user to rethink the system, but to use and manipulate it in ways that are most efficient. A name for many, is a "given", and unless it reaches a level of repulsiveness, I suspect most have not given their name a second nod. I could be wrong and this thread may prove that.

My question though, is what IS a name, really? Does a name define you and how people interact with you, therefore ultimately altering how you see yourself and your outward experience? I would argue that a name carries no meaning. There are some stigmas attached to particular names thanks to movies, music, what have you, but for the most part, I believe your name is in fact, slave to YOU, not the other way around. YOU define what meaning is attached to your name. How people see you, initially, may in part be determined by your name and their personal previous experience with it, but as they get to know you, they will then start to understand your name, as you, and that understanding of that name is thus transformed.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt