Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing new

21 58.33%
  • Idea scares me a little

1 2.78%
  • This never occured to me- but it is nothing special

14 38.89%
  • This never occured to me- idea scares me a little.

0 0%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyz22 View Post
    i thought entj's were always the ones doing the summoning.
    Allright, that's true, they could just all call me "my absolute king", case closed.

Anyway, I never though about names under such a deeply scrutinizing light. Even my nickname is simply created by choosing the initials of my name and surname (my surname is composed of two words).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Even my nickname is simply created by choosing the initials of my name and surname (my surname is composed of two words).
    I came to mine very similarly, even though it doesn't appear that way.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by blanclait View Post
    lol what?
    isn't this the same with everything else in the world?

Labels like, tree, flower, god, house, pen, etc.

Sure at first the word "tree" or "bob" has no real meaning. It is merely an agreement.

"tree" had no meaning when its name was first given.

But b/c that "green thing" held the title of tree and proclaimed itself as one, it became what "tree" really is.

I am Bob Smith. This has no meaning, at first. But as you live and proclaim that you are Bob Smith, you in the end become Bob Smith. b/c your unique history/experience, defines who Bob Smith truely is.

The way I see it, name is a collection of your history & existence. You define it automatically as you live.
    That is true.
    Especially since we don't speak same languages. So the "relativism" is even more obvious if you look at this on this way.

But when you use this on something as a personal name then you end up in interesting situation. A least that is how it looks to me.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I am curious how people think/feel about this.

From my perspective people don't have names. In most cases parents or grandparents are the ones that will choose a name for a baby.

But they are only choosing a name that will be attached to this person.
    What means that this is just an agreement between people this in not a real fact.

With time people accept that this is their "code". Even if they don't like it.
    (or they just change it). But this was never something more then agreement.
    Even if you like your name you technically don't have one.
    What means that a core of your personal identity is just a vague agreement.

The fact that people get nicknames also proves that there is no such a thing a real name.
    I think it's a ridiculous idea.
    That wasn't a choice on the poll.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I think it's a ridiculous idea.
    That wasn't a choice on the poll.
    Of course that it is ridiculous idea. But that does not mean that it can't be true.

As I already said.

Well this is not about practical or impractical and I am not saying that we should throw way I current system (since it is practical) .
    I am just pointing that there is something about what people usually don't think.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think? I get what you're saying. Sometimes I get letters in the mail and realize, "Wow, my name is Lacey." When I think about me, who I am, my name never comes into my mind. Other people probably think about my name more than I do. It doesn't really bother me, though. I notice it, laugh at the absurdity a little, and then go back to whatever I was doing.

MBTI
    INTJ

Just for the record... I chose names for my children very carefully.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Interesting question Antisocial!

I have experienced others giving meaning to their names. As an outgoing weirdo who has had many opportunities to travel and meet new people, I have looked for trends and contradictions in "what kind of people" share names or name combinations. Being younger, I saw the connection between a person's temperament and their name as a consequence of what kind of people their parents were.

Where the parents affluent?
    What culture are they from?
    What is the level of education they have pursued?
    What was the personal style of those parents?

And while we have to admit both elements of nature and nurture into what defines a person(or gives them the tools to define themselves, depending on your pov) the name chosen could reflect the way a child was raised, and what kind of environment they grew and developed within.

And on a side note; I doubt people look at their babies and say "Wow, she looks like such a Moxy Crimefighter Gillette. She will look just like her older brother Hairspray Magellan when she is older."..... Those ridiculous hippyeqsue names are a reflection of the parents who named them, often more than the boy name Sue that will either get tough or die.
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Nice. It's a good point. All labels are arbitrary symbols used to represent something else. It's weird to think of myself as different from my name, but it makes sense.

There are some times when I experiment with different perceptions of the world. One of them is thinking that nothing ever has a label. It's actually really peaceful, freeing, and makes things a whole lot clearer, albeit confusing at first.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

I have several names. On here I am known as Costrin, but that is not my only name. Costrin represents the person I am on this forum. And my other names represent the facet of myself that I am in the name's respective areas. No name encapsulates the entirety of my being. Even all the names put together do not. For there are numerous unnamed and unknown parts of myself. My existence as a whole does not have a name, and cannot have a name. But that is fine, for it does not need one.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin