Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing new

21 58.33%
  • Idea scares me a little

1 2.78%
  • This never occured to me- but it is nothing special

14 38.89%
  • This never occured to me- idea scares me a little.

0 0%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Do names define people, or do people define names?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISFJ

There's not much in a name. I think there's a lot more to a nickname. Like "Dances with wolves", an earned nickname. Yeah my first name, much like everybody else's, has a meaning attached to it, but that one was lost ages ago.

But quite frankly I couldn't care less. What's in a name? Not much if you ask me. They are good to keep our thoughts organized, though.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by blanclait View Post
    lol what?
    isn't this the same with everything else in the world?

Labels like, tree, flower, god, house, pen, etc.

Sure at first the word "tree" or "bob" has no real meaning. It is merely an agreement.

"tree" had no meaning when its name was first given.

But b/c that "green thing" held the title of tree and proclaimed itself as one, it became what "tree" really is.

I am Bob Smith. This has no meaning, at first. But as you live and proclaim that you are Bob Smith, you in the end become Bob Smith. b/c your unique history/experience, defines who Bob Smith truely is.

The way I see it, name is a collection of your history & existence. You define it automatically as you live.
    Thank you, that's what I was thinking.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

heart on fire

I like the name I was given so I don't think about this much.

MBTI
    IsTP

"What's in a name, a rose by any other name..."

On the streets we call it our government name.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

We have created our "own" names on the forum. It's actually interesting in that in MMOs like warcraft I use a certain name. It really doesn't have any feel to it because I haven't established a feel. Whereas Elaur has a definite idea to a lot of people's heads because it is now an established name (away from this board) - I have friends who I go out with in rl who call me "Elaur" and I call them their online name because that's how we got to know each other.

So I really don't think it has to do as much with the name as much as how you create your image growing up.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    We have created our "own" names on the forum. It's actually interesting in that in MMOs like warcraft I use a certain name. It really doesn't have any feel to it because I haven't established a feel. Whereas Elaur has a definite idea to a lot of people's heads because it is now an established name (away from this board) - I have friends who I go out with in rl who call me "Elaur" and I call them their online name because that's how we got to know each other.

So I really don't think it has to do as much with the name as much as how you create your image growing up.
    My user name was a gift.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Sure there is such thing as a name. It's a social invention. It exists within the context of a social construct.

Giving names to people is an observable phenomenon that happens in every culture.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I always enjoyed the Earthsea books, where names (in the Old Speech) were actually inherent within the creature or object; and if you knew the essence of someone, then you automatically knew their true name regardless of what their "use name" was.

Names are pretty important to me, actually. Yes, typically they're just identifiers, but a good name will reflect the person who carries it. It's just that many of us never got the chance to choose our names. I chose mine and it was liberating.

The online phenomena is actually a pretty remarkable thing: A person can create her own persona online that reflects who she really is, and the power of online personas extends even into the real world, in today's Internet-saturated culture. Usually people in the past were stuck with whatever name they had been assigned by their authorities.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

And then there's the whole problem that comes with pronouns, when we are called something that can apply to thousands of people, but yet we respond to it just as if we'd been called by our own name.

I barely recognize Jeremy as my name sometimes. It's not something I'm attached to, but it's just convenient.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)