User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Role Models

Default Role Models

I want to talk about what role models you've had in your life. Real people or fictional characters. Also tell me how they affected you.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

More of a symbolic character for me I guess, but Lucifer. Someone who stands up against the tyrant and seeks enlightenment. Opened my eyes, gave my life a worth, helped me develop individually and made me embrace and love myself for what I am.

MBTI
    ISTx

^Interesting. Are you Satanist?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Nah, I used to dabble in the many different facets of it back in the day, but nowadays, I'm more of a rational skeptical agnostic, leaning towards atheism. There remain merits in the non-theistic sects, most notably LaVeyan, but I find myself in disagreement with many of their philosophies.

I feel it was an important thing in my life though.

Enneagram
    9w8

In all honesty what I have had are many characters whose uncomprimising nature when it came to doing the right thing drew me to love them, because I empathized with being in situations where being myself involved being hurt, but that I could not do otherwise in my mind. In these books and imaginary worlds they showed the part of me I thought could be good and true, the part I hadn't let be tarnished or lost.

Also those characters who connected with nature and the solitude (sometimes forced) that can be beautiful, even when it involves loss. Anyone who searched for their own truth, instead of accepting others'. Those who were on the periphery of normal society and and contributed much, but for whatever reason did not feel a part of it.

So essentially there are a bevy of characters who have affected me by helping show what I was and what I might be through stories.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Most of them are part of my spiritual path. They usually stand for a specific lesson in life and inspire me to have their strength and gain understanding in that specific area of my life.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

As a child I had many rolemodels, though only fictional characters that I remember.

-Heman
    -Optimus Prime
    -Michealangelo (TMNT)
    -Indiana Jones
    -The 'hero', quest for glory series, particularly part 4. John-Rhys Davies ftw.

Later life

-Buddha

More rolemodels? Not really, bits and pieces here, but I kinda lost the need for rolemodels when I grew up. And as far as Buddha goes. I enjoy the teachings, they open your mind and gives you tons of stuff to think about.

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

When it comes to relationships and how to treat a husband and marriage philosophy- I have to say my mother. Although I was not close to my step dad at all- he was more like a room-mate then a father figure- a stranger who lives with you- they had a great marriage and I am glad to have seen it. He was always glad to come home and my mother was his refuge and his sunshine. She was not needy and they were interdependent- she would say things like- the more freedom you give a man- the more he will want to be with you- the more he will enjoy his time with you.

The way she treated him made an imprint on my mind- she doted on him, didn't complain or nag- and talked to him rationally and calmly when she had a problem. She would say things like- he works hard for me and you- he provides for us and takes good care of us- the least I can do is make him feel comfortable- so what if he leaves a towel on the floor-or the cap on the toothpaste off- little things like that don't bother me like they do others because they aren't worth it. The better you treat your husband- the better he will treat you, the more loving you are- the more loving he will be. Attitude- she made such a big deal about attitude. He was her first priority and she his.

She would also talk about what qualitites to look for in a man and I took that into my personal inventory of what I wanted as well.

I credit any success I am as a wife to her role modeling. My husband and I are very happy- and I feel alot of it has to do with her advice and example.
    Kids pay attention to these sort of things- parents don't even realize- my mother doesn't even realize what things I said to myself- this had good effects and makes sense- I am going to do this too.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As far as love for flair and the whimsical and the over the top- the character Auntie Mame played by Rosalind Russell. I love her joy of life- something that stands out to me- people who really have a joy of life no matter the circumstances and are a character. She expresses herself and is full of life and is so full of flair and whimsy. She goes after what she wants in life, is not afraid of adventure and has a sense of humor about everything. She is unconventional and open minded. I love the theatrical personality she has.

She has really shaped the way I express myself and how I approach life and my sense of style.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

My husband is a role model for me in the fruits of being objective and logical.
    He is the most objective person I have ever met and the most insightful. When it comes to spirituality and philosophy- no one has ever broadened my mind more and been more inspiring. He is the most secure and balanced person I have ever known. He has great integrity and is the most honest person I have ever known- he made me call the cable company to let them know we were accidently getting free cable and to have it shut off- I mean he is honest even if it doesn't benfit him at all.

He is my role model when it comes to character and spirituality. He helps me to develop my thinking, not take things so personally and challenges me to be in honest in ways the feeler in me is tempted to shy away from- he can be confrontational in such a way that people actually like him more.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I want to talk about what role models you've had in your life. Real people or fictional characters. Also tell me how they affected you.
    Wow, kick ass idea for a post Wolfy. You asked an open person like me this question after my mid-day Ritalin (lots of coding today!) so here it goes:

FATHER:
    My father is without a doubt an equal (to my mother) and highly influential role model in my life. My dad and I are very similar with regard to MBTI (Him=ESTJ; Me=ESTP), and it shows. He has taught me so much, alot of it by example. He taught me to think, to be strong in body and in mentality, to respect authority but also to question it along the way, to always give your best effort, that there is only one way (the right way) to do things, to stand up for myself, to stand up for others, to be generous when appropriate, and to be a leader and not a follower.

MOTHER:
    My mother is without a doubt an equal (to my father) and highly influential role model in my life. My mom taught me the things that my father did not. Mom taught me to be kind, courteous, that being a Saint is boring, that having fun is OK, taught me how to love all things and creatures, how to forgive, how to cook, how to bake, how to sew buttons and repair clothing with a needle and thread, how to be charming, how to be get even when necessary, how to laugh raucously, how to be romantic with girls, and how to stand up and move on when one broke my heart, how to be persistent in life, to keep current with my health and go to the doctor regularly.

FRIEND (Aaron):
    Aaron has taught me that all the world is a stage, life is a grand adventure even when it sucks, the value of getting a big box of random, awesome stuff for my birthday albeit a few months after my birthday, has been my kindred spirit in being a hilarious prankster, and that the best thing to do when your buddy is setting up a huge pile of fireworks in the town square at 3 AM is to light off your own and light up the sky to make his ass hurry up and get the f*&k out of Dodge!

FRIEND'S MOM (Sherry, Aaron's Mom):
    Sherry has taught me to never give up on love, that it is possible to rebuild one's life of their own will at any moment in time, to be whatever kind of loving and understanding parent you need to be for each of your kids while treating them all fairly and equally and making all of them tow the line, and to be very mindful of thinking through big decisions with one's mind and one's heart.

FRIEND (Jack):
    To be quick on my feet, to be versatile, to be street smart, to train instinctively and always push yourself to the next level, to recognize that looking out for my best interest is not only OK but necessary , introduced me to some of the best music I have ever heard in my life, that every year or two its healthy to go to some random spot and blow a grand over the course of 3 days on food, drinks, entertainment, cab fare and hopefully not need any for bail.

FIRST GIRLFRIEND'S DAD (Mike):
    How to apologize. My girlfriend's little sister said something nasty to me and I retorted and made her cry. Mike made me apologize and asked me to leave the house for the day. I respected him for that, I should have had a better temper at that time.

COUSIN (Robert Jacks):
    That he and I both survived our crazy family! That being creative was good. While we ate dinner at Manuel's in Austin one night I mentioned I thought I might be OCD and he slapped me on the head and said "Of course you are, look how you've developed your body!" and then ordered me a margarita. That having a huge eclectic group of friends is a great joy in life. To be at peace with one's self.

MY WIFE:
    To love unconditionally, to forgive, to admit one's faults and work on them, to be supportive, to be persistent, to be really sweet!

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEI

I never really had a rolemodel. :/

My parents were dooshbags (yes, DOOSH), and I figured I'd just make life as how it comes day by day. Found looking up to people pretty useless.

If however in theory I DID have someone I looked up to, it'd be this guy:
    YouTube - NUMA NUMA NERD - AMERICAN IDOL