User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Ne users: Are you good writers? (Something for others, too)

I've been told my whole life that I have a talent in creative writing. I'm curious to know if part of this is Ne fueled, as it seems likely.

All I need to do to get started writing is get one idea in my head, and it's almost impossible to NOT branch off into 50 different directions from there. Then all I need to do is merge all of those branches with some bullshitted connection, and BAM I've got an A essay in an about an hour.

That whole process makes me think "Ne". I'm curious to know if any Ne users find that writing papers and stories comes naturally. I'd prefer if responses came from people who are Ne primary or secondary, but a response from anyone who considers themselves to use Ne a lot is fine.

Input is also welcome from people who think that this type of writing comes naturally to them and are NOT Ne users. If this applies to you, please describe your thought process when writing. How do you get started? How do you fuel your story/paper?
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......

Eh, I'll finish it later.

MBTI
    ENTP

I like to write. But, only for other people. I blog a lot and Twitter and bullshit like that. I will also write stories and poetry and even letters, but everything I write is for other people.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I like to write. But, only for other people. I blog a lot and Twitter and bullshit like that. I will also write stories and poetry and even letters, but everything I write is for other people.
    Do you consider anything you write for others to be creative? And if so does it come easily to you, or do you find yourself straining to come up with where your piece is going?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

I think I'm pretty decent at writing. The process is similiar to what you described. Though, perhaps more focus on development of a single idea, than a barrage of multiple ideas. Likely Ti v Ne primary difference.

Though, I don't really have too much of a passion for writing, so it wouldn't be a career choice or anything.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cenomite View Post
    Do you consider anything you write for others to be creative? And if so does it come easily to you, or do you find yourself straining to come up with where your piece is going?
    Yea, a lot of times it's just ideas I had that I am expounding upon at length. The more creative stuff is usually for my girlfriend. I only write if I feel like writing, so it generally comes pretty easy as I am trying to have fun with it. I usually don't worry about where it's going so I occasionally have trouble ENDING things. My endings can seem rushed.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I write a lot. I have a blog that no one reads where I ramble on and on about politics... I also write screenplays and short stories. I also love to write letters and that sort of thing. It's hard for me to get motivated to write, but once I start, I get lost and it consumes me. I love this form of expression.

Back in the day, when I was in bands, I also wrote all the music and the lyrics. I love that, too. Which is ironic because the only form of writing that I don't write, don't like and don't read is poetry. But lyrics are a different form of poetry than the traditional.

With screenplays, the writing is very structured but creative. It's a bit difficult because you always have to know where you are going - you write the ending first, then you outline each scene before you even write your first line of dialogue. It's challenging and I love it, once I get started. I don't know if I'm "good" at it, but it does come easy to me.

I write legal and business documents quite well, and am a very strong writer in that arena.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I write a lot. I have a blog that no one reads where I ramble on and on about politics... I also write screenplays and short stories. I also love to write letters and that sort of thing. It's hard for me to get motivated to write, but once I start, I get lost and it consumes me. I love this form of expression.
    I used to be huge into letter writing, especially before everyone was using email. I still have a big plastic tote full of letters I got in high school and college. I actually miss the anticipation of sending off a 10 page letter and waiting a few weeks for a response. I had penpals all over the country. There was something nice about holding something the other person had filled with their own handwriting.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

My eighth grade teacher told me that I was the best writer she had ever taught, and I now pursue writing as my life's purpose. So yes, I would say I'm a good writer--in certain ways. I'm very good at coming up with ideas, I have a firm grasp of grammar, and while my writing comes off as stiff on forums (I'm afraid), it works really well on the page. On the other hand, the writing process drains me. I find it hard to translate my thoughts to paper and screen, and I'm simply dead when it comes to an essay. I write when I'm inspired (which rules out essays, since those are never inspiring) or I wind myself up and write like a machine gone haywire. Luckily, editing is one of my strengths. If it weren't for editing, lots and lots of it, my thoughts would never see the light of day.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I used to be huge into letter writing, especially before everyone was using email. I still have a big plastic tote full of letters I got in high school and college. I actually miss the anticipation of sending off a 10 page letter and waiting a few weeks for a response. I had penpals all over the country. There was something nice about holding something the other person had filled with their own handwriting.
    Me too!!! I miss the time people took to explain their lives. Now, with facebook and twitter, we always know what is going on, but it's empty. I also have a bag full of letters from my overseas friends, and long notes my classmates and I used to write each other in school. I really miss that era.

I also miss actual, tangible photographs.

MBTI
    ENTP

I usually don't worry about where it's going so I occasionally have trouble ENDING things. My endings can seem rushed.
    That's actually my problem too. It's easy to keep going forever, but wrapping up is a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde

Back in the day, when I was in bands, I also wrote all the music and the lyrics. I love that, too. Which is ironic because the only form of writing that I don't write, don't like and don't read is poetry. But lyrics are a different form of poetry than the traditional.

With screenplays, the writing is very structured but creative. It's a bit difficult because you always have to know where you are going - you write the ending first, then you outline each scene before you even write your first line of dialogue. It's challenging and I love it, once I get started. I don't know if I'm "good" at it, but it does come easy to me.

I write legal and business documents quite well, and am a very strong writer in that arena.
    Interesting. Does your thought process or "feel" of your writing differ a lot when you're writing screenplays compared to when you're writing a song? What about a business letter?