User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I think Montreal is in a unique position, in that relatively few residents are either pure francophones or anglophones. From the outside looking in I often think many Montréalais(e) speak bastardized versions of both English and French, which puts them in a position of being viewed as 'outsiders' in both language communities.
    You sound like an American buddy of mine! I actually completely agree with you. In fact, I taught both languages as second languages while I was at university and so there is about 5 years of teaching worth of people out there who speak a weird mix of French and English! :-) I'm only kidding! The main difficulty for me was actually to keep both separate and to make sure the expression I was teaching was not a translation from the other language.

I often tell the frenchies who come here and tell us how badly we speak French that we speak English just as badly! I figure that if you take any educated unilingual, they will have more room in their head to have an expansive vocabulary whereas bilingual people only have the energy to manage enough to be efficient in either language. I am also fluent in Spanish so I figure I know a third of three languages!!!

Either way I find it quite easy to tell someone's socioeconomic background from their English speech. Perhaps it's just not something you notice in Montreal.
    I guess what I mean is that English is spoken by so many different people and there are so many accents that it means little if you make a mistake. If you go to the rich parts of town in Montreal, you'll often hear awfully spoken English. In French, however, if someone uses the conditional instead of the imperfect when making a hypothetical "if" statement, that is a clear sign of level of education and background, or at least a technical major.

I think I have an intellectual crush on you, BlackMail!

Very enjoyable reading your posts. One of my favorite subjects is linguistics, and, specifically, Indo-European language & culture.

AND, I would correct the TINY mistakes you OCCASIONALLY make, if I had more time on here. As it is, I have to leave right now...

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    Qui est français(e)/francophone ici?

Je me demande... Y a-t-il beaucoup de francophones qui se cachent?
    bah ouais, moi je me cache parce que parfois, de temps en temps, j'ai marre de ces glandus et je vais passer du temps là, où on parle avec la bouche, et pas les doigts!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTJ

You should be proud of your French intellectual heritage!
    I often find myself feeling quite smug, when abroad, to be from Canada, due to our nice, polite Canadian thing of living nicely and politely together (the English and the French). The chip on your shoulder is just funny to me - and, dare I say it, very, *very* French! I'm definitely being sarcastic when I make comments about beating people with a Union Jack. Feel free to beat me with the French flag, if you like. Or with a macaron. I'd prefer the latter.

I think Montreal is in a unique position, in that relatively few residents are either pure francophones or anglophones. From the outside looking in I often think many Montréalais(e) speak bastardized versions of both English and French, which puts them in a position of being viewed as 'outsiders' in both language communities.
    I rarely meet only-French or only-English speakers here. No one else in my social group is unilingual. For some reason, it is much easier for me to get an idea for what someone is saying if they're speaking French to me, and not if I'm reading it. I can just about have one of those conversations where they speak French, I speak English, and we understand each other.

I came across a classic sign of Montrealais the other day (even took a photo I could post) - a handwritten sign on a doorway that read "La doorbell est fuckee". Hilarious. And awesome.

(sorry for not doing accents and the like, I don't know how to on my keyboard)
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTP

Ah, French, the language that dragged my GPA slightly below 3.5 during my last semester as an undergrad. I decided to take French because I was an International Affairs major who was more interested in the Eastern Hemisphere than in Latin America...unfortunately, I neglected to take into consideration the fact that its extremely difficult to learn a language you can't even pronounce. Now, the only word I consistently remember is "fenestre," (I don't even know if I spelled that correctly), because "defenestration" is one of my favorite words.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Ah, French, the language that dragged my GPA slightly below 3.5 during my last semester as an undergrad. I decided to take French because I was an International Affairs major who was more interested in the Eastern Hemisphere than in Latin America...unfortunately, I neglected to take into consideration the fact that its extremely difficult to learn a language you can't even pronounce. Now, the only word I consistently remember is "fenestre," (I don't even know if I spelled that correctly), because "defenestration" is one of my favorite words.
    Come on! French is easy!

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Now, the only word I consistently remember is "fenestre," (I don't even know if I spelled that correctly), because "defenestration" is one of my favorite words.

Fenêtre. Fenestre is a deprecated spelling. The 's' is silent, so in the 19th century l'Académie changed the spelling to fenêtre for the sake of reducing confusion. Similarly hospital became hôpital, forest became forêt and so on.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Fenêtre. Fenestre is a deprecated spelling. The 's' is silent, so in the 19th century l'Académie changed the spelling to fenêtre for the sake of reducing confusion. Similarly hospital became hôpital, forest became forêt and so on.
    Somehow, English retained the old French spelling (the one before 1787). You were so influenced by our language that some of your words are actually "frenchier" than ours.

Curious twist of history, isn't it?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Somehow, English retained the old French spelling (the one before 1787). You were so influenced by our language that some of your words are actually "frenchier" than ours.

Curious twist of history, isn't it?
    Totally, words like hostel and bastard and paste, with their French counterparts which you'll have to furnish, since my chapeau chinois won't work on this keyboard lol
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    XNTJ

Default `

I think the most common word I hear carried over to other languages from
    french is pensive, pense, penser, etc. I know that I have French, English,
    Irish and German in me...probably why I wanted to start learning the langa-
    uge because it is in my blood. I'm in almost year 3 of trying to learn it on
    my own with the help of books, audio cds, youtube clips and other online
    rescources like french pop music, I was about laughing when I had my ipod
    on and this one song started to click what it was sexe moi' sexe toi'...gues-
    sing I'm sexy, you're sexy...' something like that and another one sounded
    like "The moment she's not there, you're single once more...my family prob-
    lems" that kind of thing just a rough translation. I'm wanting to type this
    paragraph in french and I'm hearing the dialect in my head and how I'm thi-
    nking it should sound, but I'm still learning conjugating...I plan on taking it
    in school when I get a little farther, I learned from that D- I passed with
    in latin. Like I've always said the worst thing that can happen from a failure
    is you learn its not the end of the world.

ENTJ