User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    Language constantly evolves, and might I say English especially because of all the outside influence (I believe over 50% [could be more] of our words are borrowings from some period or other). And originally, it was just a dialect of a dialect of German.
    As a matter of fact, English is just a bastard language, a kind of creole very different from any other european counterpart (And especially Germanic ones). This also explains its isolating tendencies, despite the fact that every other Indo-European languages are basically synthetic ones.

The main grammatical core is very loosely Germanic, but the way you pronounce it has been deeply influenced by Celtic languages (for instance the "Th" sound"), making your language far more musical and nice to hear than any other Germanic tongue. And indeed, the vast majority of your vocabulary were foreign borrowings, and ESPECIALLY from the French, since we have culturally colonized you during centuries.
    (French is the true language of civilization, after all!)

In modern English there are twice more words that comes from French/Latin than from Germanic roots. So it's ridiculously easy to learn, and this could explain its contemporary success as a lingua franca, way more than the economic influence of English-speaking countries.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENFJ

English is a kleptomaniac.

It just can't help it.

But this thread is supposed to be about French, isn't it?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

For instance, I will quote in blue any word that has been directly borrowed from French, in one way or another.

"From a linguistics perspective, the English dialects spoken in America and English are equally good (neither are anywhere near the way they used to be, nor were those versions anywhere like their older counterparts before, etc.) Language constantly evolves, and might I say English especially because of all the outside influence (I believe over 50% [could be more] of our words are borrowings from some period or other). And originally, it was just a dialect of a dialect of German. No need to bother elevating one dialect over the other."
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

According to the Oxford dictionary, 57% of their entries are words that were borrowed from the French cultural invaders...

You should compare this number with 7% from Dutch/Frison/German origin, 5.5% Greek, and 4.5% from Norse dialects.

The genuine "Anglo-Saxon" words, represent barely 14% of their entries ONLY!!! But these words are the core of the "everyday life" language.

---

And as I said, English has a major defect: it remains very blurry, and severely lacks precision. Thus, it needs lots, and lots of vocabulary (hundreds of thousands of words, no less) to compensate the informations other Indo-European languages would share through the clever use of a complex grammar.
    For this language, looting words in other cultures is a necessity, a simple matter of survival. It explains why English is now so close to become the western esperanto.

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTJ

Blackmaaaaail, you're protesting too much!

*beats with Union jack*
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post

*beats with Union jack*

I don't care. Somehow, you are our heirs, as the colony of a French colony.

57% of your own words, especially the more sophisticated ones, are daily testimonies of our cultural greatness and undisputed domination over England! No other country in Europe has been so deeply influenced by us.

You should be proud of your French intellectual heritage!

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENFJ

Oh come now, it's a good thing.

Soon all languages will assimilate into English and then you won't even have to learn French!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Oh come now, it's a good thing.

Soon all languages will assimilate into English and then you won't even have to learn French!
    (I'm wondering if she's serious, sometimes) :rolli:

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INFJ

Ben voilà. Je suis également de Montréal et je parle français. Le français étant une langue difficile à apprivoiser, je félicite tout ceux qui ont le courage et la discipline pour s'y mettre.

Étant donné la complexité de cette langue, il existe un certain snobisme chez ceux appartenant à la croute supérieure de la hiérarchie sociale. En effet, je crains que les réactions viscérales de ceux-ci face aux erreurs langagières commises par l'étudiant étranger n'en découragent plus d'un. L'avantage de l'anglais c'est que la position sociale est plus difficilement détectable dans le parler, permettant une mobilité sociale plus flexible.

Je dois admettre que je souffre du même complexe que tout ceux de mon niveau de scolarité au Québec, c'est-à-dire, une espèce de honte de nos capacités de bien parler la langue étant donné notre histoire et les influences de la majorité anglophone qui nous entoure. Je suis moi-même coupable de juger ceux qui le parle peu ou pire que moi dans mon entourage.

I guess I will apologize to Kangirl for not speaking to her in French. (Dammit, I just did it) Euh... Désolé Kangirl. Tu peux pratiquer le français québécois avec moi!

Almost all of my primary and secondary learning was in French. The first time I took science classes in English was Grade 10, when I was 14-15. The first time I took a math class in English was in my last semester of high school.

And yet, after a few years, here I am: barely able to hold a conversation in French. I've just forgotten too much of the vocabulary, I don't know what to say.

Oddly enough I can listen to and read it with few problems whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by musttry View Post
    L'avantage de l'anglais c'est que la position sociale est plus difficilement détectable dans le parler, permettant une mobilité sociale plus flexible.
    I think Montreal is in a unique position, in that relatively few residents are either pure francophones or anglophones. From the outside looking in I often think many Montréalais(e) speak bastardized versions of both English and French, which puts them in a position of being viewed as 'outsiders' in both language communities.

Either way I find it quite easy to tell someone's socioeconomic background from their English speech. Perhaps it's just not something you notice in Montreal.