User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Well, Americans often speak a low-grade, bastardized version of English, that they dare to call "modern English".

But in correct, genuine English, the correct sentence is supposed to be "I wish I were". Check your books of grammar!
    And here I thought America's version was technically older, because the English decided to change everything shortly after we left?

Then again, I guess it would make sense that people think of it as bastardized (or 'bastardised,' as they'd like to call it), because America, as I've recently learned, is a nation of hicks.

Simple:

I should = Je devrais

Word to word translation is:

"Peut-être ne devrais-je pas écrire à 1 heure du matin."

And it sounds absolutely correct in French. You can say this, you will be understood, no problem!
    But my suggestion is classier, denotes a more sophisticated way to express ideas, and is the mark of a true native French speaker.
    I can work on sounding sophisticated later. Right now I'm focusing on being understood. Anyway, even in English I'm called too terse, so...

So 'je devrais être' is better than 'je sois'?

As a matter of fact, you would probably be better understood with my own suggestion. Because you know, French is a very precise and accurate language, almost unsurpassed in this category. While English will always remain very vague and approximative, no matter how you try to spell it.

Depending on the way you conjugate verbs in French, you have very precise informations about how, why, when an event occured. English have very similar tenses, but without the informations involved.

Thus, when we translate English in French, the result is often comparable to the way a child would convey its thoughts. Short, concise, but awfully vague, since the child live in a sort of continuous present.

Well.

Twice as long means twice the precision. But in French, you have the option to speak with short sentences, similar to what you will find in English.

The "shorter languages" are isolating ones, the shortest of all being Chinese Mandarin. And Mandarin is even vaguer, hazier and blurrier than English.
    I dunno, if half the length is enough precision to assemble that toaster, does it really matter if it's that much more precise?

Well, I was going to try to learn Mandarin, too...

What about German? I've heard that I should stay as far away as possible, but then again, that just makes me more curious.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Bonne version:

Mais oui!

Je trouve souvent que les INTJ sont très doués pour les langues...

(À part cette tournure, le français de Maliafee est presque parfait. Toutes mes félicitations!)
    Merci, monsieur!

Well, feel free to visit us once again! You're welcome!
    Salut!

Je vous remercie pour tout. Moi, je n'aime pas corriger les autres... (A cause d'être ISFP peut-être?)

Donc! Comment va-t-il le Paris ce soir?

From a linguistics perspective, the English dialects spoken in America and English are equally good (neither are anywhere near the way they used to be, nor were those versions anywhere like their older counterparts before, etc.) Language constantly evolves, and might I say English especially because of all the outside influence (I believe over 50% [could be more] of our words are borrowings from some period or other). And originally, it was just a dialect of a dialect of German. No need to bother elevating one dialect over the other.

(But I do say, "I wish I were," and so do lots of Americans, I think.)

A really wonderful book you might enjoy Haphazard (I did, and it was referred to me by my INTJ older brother) is called "The American Language", by H.L. Mencken. It's absolutely fantastic. He wrote it in the early 1900's and it's all about the differences between American English and British English and he documents, not only those differences, which is fun to read, but also talks a lot about those who criticized "American" favoring the British variety of English. I just love it!

Amazon.com: The American Language: H.L. Mencken: Books

If you click on the above link, you can then click underneath the book's picture image to "Search Inside [the] book" to see if it's something you might enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    And here I thought America's version was technically older, because the English decided to change everything shortly after we left?

Then again, I guess it would make sense that people think of it as bastardized (or 'bastardised,' as they'd like to call it), because America, as I've recently learned, is a nation of hicks.

I can work on sounding sophisticated later. Right now I'm focusing on being understood. Anyway, even in English I'm called too terse, so...

So 'je devrais être' is better than 'je sois'?

I dunno, if half the length is enough precision to assemble that toaster, does it really matter if it's that much more precise?

Well, I was going to try to learn Mandarin, too...

What about German? I've heard that I should stay as far away as possible, but then again, that just makes me more curious.

La bonne version de cet extrait serait:

EDIT: J'habite à Montréal. Je ne parle pas français, parce que les francophones me parlent en anglais. Les francophones sont très, très tolérants [avec ces paresseux d'anglophones]. À bas les impérialistes monolingues!!!
    MDR!!!

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

French...

MBTI
    ENTJ

très mignon
    Very steak???

And Blackmail, take it back, I am not an imperialist! It's 100% the fault of all French speakers that my French is merde.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    Merci, monsieur!

Salut!

Je vous remercie pour tout. Moi, je n'aime pas corriger les autres... (A cause d'être ISFP peut-être?)
    As a matter of fact, I'm not enjoying correcting you just for the sake of feeling important or superior to you in any way. I'm just doing it because objectively, it can help you, exactly in the same way it would help me improve my English if ever a kind soul would take time to explain me in details my own grammatical mistakes.

You may have noticed there's a tremendous gap between my fluencies in French or in English.

Here, when I write in English [a language I do not master perfectly], I choose to be vulnerable. But in French, I would not.

So depending on the language I pick, you might perceive two different personalities, two different Blackmail!s. You may be amongst the very few who are fortunate enough to know how to notice the difference.

Donc! Comment va-t-il le Paris ce soir?
    Comment Paris va, comment va Paris?
    Et bien ce soir, Paris est embouchonnée de toutes parts, des kilomètres et kilomètres de voitures saturant le boulevard périphérique, toutes au départ de leur week-end pascal.

A part ça, une journée pas trop mal, ensoleillée et plutôt douce, pour tout dire agréable et printanière, si ce n'était le bruit des klaxons à tous les coins de rue.

Je me remets doucement du concert d'hier soir et de mes inévitables excès.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

I'm not french.

lies!
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    Very steak???

And Blackmail, take it back, I am not an imperialist!
    O yes indeed! You are a linguistic imperialist, you Vancouverite peanut-butter licking anglophone!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I'm not french.

lies!
    Prove it to me!

7w8 SCUxI