User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Thread: Which religion?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quaker. Which is what I am. Also an Anglican/Episcopalian but if I were forced to choose between them I have to say I'd go with Quaker. Sorry Rowan Williams.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I have to admit, one of the most pleasent debates I've had on this forum yet. It's been a pleasure talking. But if you use a year's worth of compliments on me at once I think I'll die of all the blood rushing to my head

<GREAT POST!>

... I swear you give me too much credit as well. But thank you kindly for it all
    Mutually agreed, a very pleasant debate for me as well! I'll try not to dish out so many compliments to you in the future, but you're going to have to agree to decrease the depth of your thinking and the quality of your writing.

Cheers to you!

-Alex

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I get what you're saying there.. but the purpose of the church is much grander than all that. You're looking at it from a selfish point of view, rather than the purpose of church in the first place.

I hope you don't support Universal healthcare if this is your thinkings.. The point of the church is to give a little to receive a lot. Surround yourself with a strong support group, under a beautiful setting you contributed to building, allow your pastors to devote their full attention to God and deliver to you the analysis of the bible, and mayhap more important, provide a place for people curious about christianity to go to and learn, and thus expand the network, the support group, etc. It's a really wonderful cycle if upkept properly. Churches do missionaries, reach out and support the secular part of the community, and generally work for the greater good of your area (I know, not all churches are that way, don't burn me at a stake.) such as giving financial support to those fallen under hardships, donating to local support groups, offering free children's activities and counseling/advise, etc etc etc.

The aspect is: Throwing 5 bucks in a pot every week isn't much to ask for, in exchange for supporting your community, religion, and fellow christians. You attend every sunday because, lets face it.. life gets hectic, and schedules relax as 'priorities' occur. Having a set aside schedule of attendance just promotes good christianity.
    You have actually descibed he Jay-Cees , the Masons, Hadassa, and the Lions Club!
    With or without the worshipping of God!
    If being a helpful member of the community is your #1 reason for going to church, you are NOT a real Christian (as told by YOUR Christian bible)! You are supposed to worship Jesus! AND MEAN IT!
    I know Christians beleive that Jesus and God are the same . God, son of God, Holy Ghost.... I was a Christian for over 10 years and I came to my senses!
    I am curious, were you a member of a different religion at one time?
    you are really looking at christianity through innocent rose-colored glasses.
    And as for "throwing 5 bucks in the pot"-BS-Churches encourage a standard "tithe" of 10% of your gross income!
    Listen closely to the sermons. Not paying tithe is a sin.
    God hates ALL sin equally!
    Loving God is to obey God.
    Do You pay your full tithe?
    Being poor or jobless is no excuse! God HATES lazyness!
    there is a whole bunch of interesting, inspiring blah blah blah in-between the real reason for the sermon!
    If by chance a person is in some way unemployable and destitute, and are
    incapable of paying tithe there is a name in the business world for this person.
    A LOSS-LEADER!
    Christianity is the most devious pyramid scheme the world has ever known.
    INtP...RCUEI primary I...5w4...INTp... ILI...The Artist Formerly Known As Car!ssa

I will never conform to religion

NEVER!!!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    I will never conform to religion

NEVER!!!
    Lets rally the troops then. Wooo hoooo.

Down with religion.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    If you were put in a situation by God, and forced to choose a specific religion to live the rest of your life as a devout member of (and if God reassured you there were no incorrect choices) - what religion/denomination of it would you pick and why?

I would pick Catholicism, specifically the Italian flavour of it, because I love and am fascinated by all of the rituals and art. My second choice would be Judaism for the rituals, too.

The Quakers might get a look in because I knew someone who was raised Quaker once and it sounded like fun.

PS. Answers can be shallow, like mine, or deep.
    I think I would pick Zen Buddhism, because that one seems closest to my perspective on reality.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7?

Pagan. endless awesome stories, great parties, fun rituals, no guilt, and the only thing you have to do is treat everyone kindly. plus there's a respect of other religions-- ancient pagans acknowledged other gods than their own as simply ruling a different area. also an excellent excuse to go skinny-dipping, howl at the moon, or talk to inanimate objects.

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post

Down with religion.
    Heck no

I'm against war too

A number of which are caused from greed and religion

The non-religious would be just as much in the wrong to try and bring down religion through bloodshed

Any group of people who believe that those who are not part of their group are evil and deserve death/other punishment are in the wrong IMO

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Agnostic Theist.. that's my belief.

I also was raised as a Jehovah's Witness and then they wouldn't baptize me for some inferno reason of putting in pioneering time. da de da de da

I rebelled against all rules then a few years later married a Muslim, became Muslim, then started studying, memorizing and stripped off most of my own identity and personality to conform.

If religion makes you conform to it's beliefs. Then I can't be for it. Plants and animals reside freely on this beautiful earth. Which I doubt will survive forever since stars have a process when they go supernova then become black holes or whatever.

Man written books being memorized for our own benefit and to pray so many times a day or we won't be accepted. Everyone is in the truth in their own beliefs. So I can't claim a belief and I don't hope or expect anyone to follow my beliefs since I haven't any other than that there has to be a God. Or we are all in deep doody. It would be nice to say that the spirit continues on to another plane of existence.. But then those are just fantasies until proven otherwise, then it's too late. The irony of it all.

Well I think I have done burned a few brain cells I need for living this non-existent existence since I can only exist in my own world until someone acknowledges me to one of theirs. *don't know where that came from* hahaha

Good thread, I actually read through all of it. Thanks!
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post

Down with religion.
    Bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    Heck no

I'm against war too
    Hippie!