Thread: Which religion?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I'm with Halla here, religion in it's own is selfish. You can go to church for more benefit if you choose, but in the end it's all about your own spiritual path and your own beliefs.

Also basically everything Trinity said.
    I knew I liked you!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    CONCLUSION
    So my dear friend, all I can say is that organized religion is not for everyone, me inlcuded. I do not slight anyone that benefits from particpation in it as such, but I myself have never, or at least not yet anyway, been compelled to become a participating member of any parish. My kids go to camps at local Methodist churches during Spring Break and Christmas, when school is out. I am thankful for these churches and their programs, but I remain comfortable being a consumer of their services as a neutral, third party consumer.

I hope you don't hate me, I'm just explaining my thoughts and beliefs for the sake of honesty and clarity.
    How could anyone hate you for having an opinion and defending it so coherently? I do agree--organized religion is not for everyone. I remember once being a little kid and hearing from someone that people who weren't insert-faith-here went to hell. I bawled. I hate when people say things like that; it's pressuring people to believe in something just because YOU believe it, and that's wrong. It's so judgmental and rude. Honestly, you don't have to go church to have a firm faith, nor do you have to have a faith at all if you don't believe in anything. Like you and BlackCat said, it's personal.

I also have mixed feelings about politics mingling with religion. Like, I'd vote for gay marriage, and you don't see Catholics promoting that...er, in fact, they're kinda against it. I dunno. Religion is such a touchy subject. Two people can have the same religion and believe still different things.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
    How could anyone hate you for having an opinion and defending it so coherently?
    Why thank you! I don't think Kyueei would hate me, I just don't want her to kick my ass with her M-16 while wearing combat boots.

Two people can have the same religion and believe still different things.
    True! Isn't that CRAZY!!!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Why thank you! I don't think Kyueei would hate me, I just don't want her to kick my ass with her M-16 while wearing combat boots.

True! Isn't that CRAZY!!!
    Haha, I don't think kyueei would hate you either, lol! And it IS crazy! Organized religion is kinda an oxymoron.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Haha, I don't think kyueei would hate you either, lol! And it IS crazy! Organized religion is kinda an oxymoron.
    Much like "Texas Culture" or "Military Intelligence?"

<ducks flying objects!>

MBTI
    INTP

For nearly 15 years, I've basically thought of myself as an agnostic who wishes he had the fath to be a Deist (of a type that assumes both free will and eternal consciousness after death), and is glad he lacks the faith to be an atheist. My answer would definately be Deism.

I've always found the popularity of (orthodox) Buddhism to be mind-boggling; for me, the concept of oblivion is something terrible that might inevitably occur regardless of one's beliefs or actions, while Buddhist seem to view it as something positive that must be strived for through meditation, lest it not occur.

Edit: Hmm, this thread gives me an idea...
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 04-09-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: thought of something

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

I'd try to stay with my own internal spirituality, which has helped me achieve alot of things. If that choice was not possible, i would try buddhism... with compromises of course . I wouldin't be able to live without consuming meat.

And besides.. all the people mentioning selfishness. Of course spirituality is selfish.. it is concerned with a internal force an urge, that can manifest in many ways(externally through good deeds or internally through focus and purity), but in the end all roads lead to rome.. a rome that is only concerned with appeasing and maintaining itself.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I've always found the popularity of (orthodox) Buddhism to be mind-boggling; for me, the concept of oblivion is something terrible that might inevitably occur regardless of one's beliefs or actions, while Buddhist seem to view it as something positive that must be strived for through meditation, lest it not occur.
    I think the increased popularity of Buddhism in the last 40 years or so has less to do with Buddhism's actual tenets than it has to do with its "other-ness" from Christianity. I think a lot of young people rebel against Christianity for the usual reasons and gravitate to Buddhism because the pamphlet version of it is "Hey, we don't have a lot of beliefs that are easily ridiculed by the type that ridicules religion, you don't have to do much, and it'll REALLY freak out your family. You can still be cool!" I mean, how many Americans who say they're into Buddhism actually do their devotions? I think for most Westerners that were not raised with it, Buddhism is the religious version of getting a nose ring or a tattoo.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Can I be a pastafarian?

That looks fun. And tasty.
    We welcome you with open noodly arms! Here's your complementary pirate regalia and canned tomato sauce.
    "Always be yourself - unless you suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl
    If you were put in a situation by God, and forced to choose a specific religion to live the rest of your life as a devout member of (and if God reassured you there were no incorrect choices) - what religion/denomination of it would you pick and why?
    Buddhism (tibet style) is awesome, plus you can be a (devout) bad ass Buddhist if you want to.
    and a catholic in your next live.