User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Silentium View Post
    I will have a 2003 Kawasaki 250 Ninja - it is my first bike. It has low (I believe) miles on it - 13-14,000, though I'd have to check. It has a minor leak that might be oil or some slight chain fluid (I was told this and don't know what I'm talking about, mind you) and which will be looked at this weekend (I'm going to learn how to not blow the motorcycle up so I don't end up going "Ooo, what is this? Can I take it apart to see what might be wrong with-*FWOOM*"), but is otherwise pretty much in perfect condition.

Oh, and Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Sounds great! I happen to be a big fan of Kawasakis (esp the older Ninjas) -- you should watch "Mad Max" for seriously cool Jap-bike action.

I'm thinking about getting the same bike - good deals on em all over the place. I just don't know if I really want a sport bike or I should get a cruiser.

Or one of those early 80s deals that is a mix of the two.

When you took your MSF class, what sort of bike they put you on? I'm taking mine at the end of the month. I wish I could find a class that offered multiple styles of test bikes instead of fleets of Honda Rebels.

I second watching Mad Max for inspiration.

---------------------------
    In other news, Pink, you're .
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Are you going to post pictures of your cars?

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

You know what was really sad - Pink and I had a 1962 Buick Special two door coupe. Our father had dragged it up, and we had such glorious plans for that car. Put a Wildcat engine in it, install a T10 transmission. ( Though the whole floorboard was rusted out and I was going to have to weld in a entire set of new belly pans, and then re-weld the seat mounts ). But it was karate chopped in half by a giant tree limb during Hurricane Fran.

*weeps*

MBTI
    XXFP
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

I like this thread! Good idea, Pink!

I have one oil change tip, although correct me if it's technically debatable in its usefulness.

When doing an oil change, I always prime the filter by filling it about 1/2 full with fresh oil to prime the pump and reduce the time the engine runs without oil on startup right after the oil change. When I don't do this, I hear a slight metal grinding noise for 1 sec on first startup after an oil change. I use this as evidence that priming the filter reduces engine wear slightly.

A few times, I got lazy and took my car to one of those oil change places. They do unnecessary and amateurish tinkering like pulling the air filter to show me that it's dirty and asking if I want them to put a new one in, :rolli: even though it's fairly new with plenty of light visible when looking through it. I tell them, "Good, it's doing its job well then. Thanks for pointing that out." The last time I ever went to one, they either didn't change the oil or the filter, said that my oil was dirty even after changing it (it was very dirty with all that old oil in there! :steam, and that I needed an "engine flush." I called them on their BS and decided to always do my own oil changes. I'm sharing this so that no one else falls for these ripoffs. I encountered stuff like this at several different places.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    *Tires (or tyres for you wacky UK-ers....) : You will not drive on anything less than 1/4 inch of tread. Anything lower is dangerous. Look at a car, consider how heavy it seems, then realize that it is making contact with the road at only four relatively small points -- a small section of rubber at any given time. This is why only a few inches of water will lift a car and sweep it into a river. Your tread is a non-negotiable part of the car. For those of you living in the US... take out a penny and stick it into the tread with Lincoln's head down. If his head disappears into the tread, you're good to go. If not, time to change those tires.
    More than once, I have driven my tires down to where I can see the metal ribbing inside of them.

Usually after that I get them changed fairly quickly.
    Last edited by lexiphanic; 04-07-2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: pure win

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    I'm thinking about getting the same bike - good deals on em all over the place. I just don't know if I really want a sport bike or I should get a cruiser.

Or one of those early 80s deals that is a mix of the two.

When you took your MSF class, what sort of bike they put you on? I'm taking mine at the end of the month. I wish I could find a class that offered multiple styles of test bikes instead of fleets of Honda Rebels.

I second watching Mad Max for inspiration.
    The motorcycle course had primarily cruiser-style bikes, with a few dual-purpose ones almost akin to a dirt bike. The thing is, if you want to figure out what kind of bike you want to ride, the class probably isn't where you'd really properly find out. You learn the basics of maneuvers required for safe riding - among other things - and riding is similar to driving in one respect (I personally think): if you are a competent driver/rider, it is simply a matter of adjusting to the specific car/bike ye're riding, rather than bikes having vastly different required skill sets to operate. Same basic tools, but different engine size and maneuvering ability, etc.

It's also quite possible that you already know this, so to actually answer your query: I was on a Honda 250cc something or other cruiser style. It looked "purdy" and was a stable enough ride.

As for figuring out what kind you want to buy - what do you want to do with your bike? Ride fast on the weekend for fun? Commute? Take trips cross country trips on practically two tanks of gas? Ninjas are fun, reliable, and one of the very best beginner bikes, but your preferred riding style is what's most important, and the class can help you figure that out.

VROOM VROOM.

MBTI
    INFP

Great thread idea. It's always been a shame of mine that I have no idea what I'm looking at when I open the bonnet (dipstick and radiator/reservoir aside). My nightmare: hordes of pursuing zombies, with me in the last of the v8 interceptors. Car breaks down. I pop the hood... and competently refill the windscreen-wiper reservoir. Since that's most of what I know how to do under there.

So please: keep those tips coming! I don't want to have my brains eaten.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Your brains will be eaten one way or another, whether it's the zombies or the intake manifold sucking it out of your orifices
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    Your brains will be eaten one way or another, whether it's the zombies or the intake manifold sucking it out of your orifices
    Just when I thought this thread could not get any sexier. Spirillis goes and cranks up the heat.
    <---- (pretend it's a zombie about to eat your brains... or just think of me *nom nom nom*)
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski