User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

This is like the truck my twin and I drove around everywhere for years. A black 1985 Chevy Silverado with a rebuilt 305 V-8. It drank gasoline but was SO worth the power. Ours had heavy-duty suspension and an extended bed. I used to stow my toolboxes behind the seat and Jaye packed her welding gear back there. The darn thing was indestructible. We named him "Wyatt" after Wyatt Earp. (Our ENTJ bff named her 1978 Silverado "Virgil" in keeping with the theme... haha!)

eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

yea gasoline is expensive but I hate diesels. They sound like tanks and I love the sound of a 16 valves gasoline engine . Half of the cars in germany use gasoline, the other half uses diesel, so its pretty well distributed.

Yea it closes the air-intake. Its called a ME-Motronic, where the gas pedal just signals the computer what you want. So no mechanical opening of the air intake. The advantages are it is momentum steered, meaning if you got things like a compressor for air conditioning drawing power from the engine the control adds the needed power to your signal input via gas pedal. The mechanical gas pedal thing, called LH_motronic I think would have been just cut off power due to the compressor.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    yea gasoline is expensive but I hate diesels. They sound like tanks and I love the sound of a 16 valves gasoline engine . Half of the cars in germany use gasoline, the other half uses diesel, so its pretty well distributed.
    You diesel hater!

Yea it closes the air-intake. Its called a ME-Motronic, where the gas pedal just signals the computer what you want. So no mechanical opening of the air intake. The advantages are it is momentum steered, meaning if you got things like a compressor for air conditioning drawing power from the engine the control adds the needed power to your signal input via gas pedal. The mechanical gas pedal thing, called LH_motronic I think would have been just cut off power due to the compressor.
    Ok, so it works something like a sensor that measures the angle of the gas pedal?
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    You know, trust is a good thing, but when it comes to a major purchase, anyone should understand that having a check-up done is NOT anti-trust, just old fashioned common sense. It's something like getting a second opinion from another doctor. If it all checks out, then everyone is happy!

I'm really very pleased that you're taking such an interest in your new bike. Don't forget to consider yourself in the bargain. Are you lined up to take a motorcycle safety course? The defensive techniques can be lifesavers, esp when other drivers may not be looking out for you. A girl friend of mine, as a very recent example, was out with her boyfriend on his Ninja, and they were hit at highway speeds by a Lincoln Towncar. She lived through it because she was wearing a helmet and body armor! Be sure you take care of yourself, okay?

That's the thing - I am being given the bike, so there is no purchase. I do understand about the normal checkup if I pay a cent for anything. =) Also, I already bought my own DOT/SNELL approved helmet (that is comfortable, YAY), and a motorcycle jacket and gloves with built-in armour at all the joints.

Oh, and I didn't go to the DMV to get my license (except just to have them make it for me) - I took a TeamOregon basic riders' (safety) course, which is state certified and bypasses the test at the DMV.

So if you're given a bike that you know is well taken care of, should you still get the checkup? It's kind of an odd situation.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

No, if it's in good shape, I wouldn't worry. You know the owner.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

yea. Most of the cars nowadays are build around comfort for the old and rich people. And comfort items draw power from the engine. So making the gas pedal being disconnected from the air intake gave a computer the opportunity to calculate the needed momentum.

I know it sucks, I hate it, but its what you get today when you buy a modern car -.-
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

My Dad's 1967 Buick... I miss it! Fast AND quiet.

Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    My Dad's 1967 Buick... I miss it! Fast AND quiet.

*Drool*

I'm tired of playing with vehicles that have computers. I want my '74 CJ-5 back...

MBTI
    ENTJ

So, Pink, does this mean if you saw me on the side of the road (beside my broken down car) looking helpless and making small, mewling 'duh' sounds whilst twirling my hair around my finger, that you'd just keep driving?

I can't fix cars for shit. If I ever got a flat I'd probably start crying.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I have never changed the oil in my car myself.

My father (who can just about fix anything pre-computer with a car manual and the proper tools) and my brothers think this is strange.

To hell with it, I'm the NT in the family, I have other things to do... well, think about doing.