User Tag List

View Poll Results: what makes people basically afraid of being a musician?

37. You may not vote on this poll
  • feel lacking talent, or the "it" factor

21 56.76%
  • feel lacking passion, or persistence

12 32.43%
  • afraid of overwhelming expectations they'll be getting

9 24.32%
  • afraid of the amount of spotlight, and thus lack of privacy

7 18.92%
  • fear of lack of money, for daily living needs

19 51.35%
  • not according to standard common society's wants of you

9 24.32%
  • other (please explain below)

8 21.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: what makes people basically afraid of being a musician?

I think I'm afraid of lack of talent, I've been playing, writing music for about 15 yrs now and I sometimes think that I'm not at the calibre that I should be at, that tends to amplify the negative feedback, which causes me to not progress forward.
    I can sing, though I rarely do(only for my wife)... I can be quite the perfectionist when it comes to music, and that frustrates me to pieces.

Currently I'm torn between becoming a music recording engineer or a journalist,... And limited educational resources are not helping much.

I adore creating music, and doing so vibrates my soul, closer into existence.
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

2w1 sx/so

Personally, I believe that what prevents musicians from pursuing a career in music is a combination of fears/insecurities that make them doubt themselves and their abilities to be succesful in the music industry ("success" being an artist with a growing fan base who can live off writing/performing).

I see these types of artists:

1) ones with natural talents, great aptitude for singing, playing instruments, or composing..can easily pick up other instruments or concepts, playing by ear, etc.

2) those who have trained themselves and practice "'til their fingers bleed" in order to become amazing at their instrument/skill

3) within those who are naturally skilled or the ones who are learned, there are technical musicians (those who can "shred") and/or emotion based musicians (not the most skilled, but their music just captures you)

4)and much more rarely there are those who have a combination of any or all the above, who are naturally gifted, practice to no end, and who write emotionally touching music/lyrics that manage to capture your attention

A technical musician may fear his music, though precise and intricate, may not be understood or grasp the listener enough to maintain his or her interest. The emotional/raw musician may compare his lack of technique to one who has immaculate playing skills. But all these types of musicians may fear that their music will never truly be appreciated by others and that they won't sell many records on their own, or book many shows and who will never get the attention of bigger record labels who will help market them. I think every musician has feared all of the reasons listed above (and more) in the OP at least once.

@luminous beam: great observation!
    and what do you think is the solutions to eliminate, or to be even more realistic, to just 'reduce' these -often- uncontrollable fears ?
    any idea/suggestion?

i guess one of the best suggestion/advice i've ever read is of how we shouldn't really put too much emphasis on what other people (or audience) THINK of us! because every person is different, and in a concert, sometimes it's just bound to happen that there are people who're interested with our music, or people with flat-face, maybe because they're not too passionate in music (only because of pulled by their friends to a musician's concert), or maybe they have their own life problems, etc.
    if we're trying to control each & EVERY audience's reaction, then it would only drive us mad & insane, other than it's obviously unrealistic!

and also other great related suggestion/advice to that is:
    people usually would WANT you to succeed, or in terms of musician/performer, to 'support' you to be able to perform happily, and succeed!
    people generally speaking are NICE to you, and they HOPE for you to succeed.
    so i've once read that even if you make little mistake here & there (another most-common fears of musicians?) , then it's still okay, as long as in the end of ur performance, you have given them a VALUE that's left imprinted on their head, or even heart!

these two advices alone have really helped me tremendously to become more secure, and basically just believe in myself & my capabilities in music & performing.

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    This is all valid...from an S perspective. It's very applicable in the short term.

You definitely have to get lucky to be successful in music quickly, but if you're not getting anywhere after several years then it's virtually always a combination of the following:

1) Not being good enough (YET!),
    2) Not promoting your music/making enough of an effort to get exposure for it,
    3) Playing a really weird style that doesn't really appeal to any significant markets, or
    4) Giving up too quickly before you've made a substantial effort to establish yourself (this takes years of active touring and insane self-promotion, in most cases.)

Record industry people, managers, A&R scouts, booking agents, etc. really are out there and they're listening to what goes on in the local scene. If you're not attracting any attention, 99.99999% of the time it's due to lack of musical ability and/or lack of promotion.

Just as with poker, if you're doing everything you should be, the longer you continue doing it the more the probability of not being successful approaches zero. It just takes a long time and a great deal of patience--this is a long run enterprise.
    nicely said & summarized!

For me, it's the fact that music takes hold of my emotions and runs with them. That I don't like, even when I play music to myself.
    Even when we have lost hope in resolving the problems we have, we are still fundamentally part and parcel of the world. By virtue of this understanding, we can do anything realisable within the universe. [So don't give up ]

If you don't like the way this universe is - go somewhere else!" - Richard Feynman

What do you think about me?

eating bugs out of hair. Array prplchknz's Avatar

how about lack of talent? that's not really being afraid though, that's just knowing your own limitations.
    by @magpie

Senior Member Array ScorpioINTP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    how about lack of talent? that's not really being afraid though, that's just knowing your own limitations.
    That would be me. Does thisica know this thread is 2 yrs old?
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

From the Undertow Array CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    4w5 sp/sx

Lack of financial security for certain, and the competitiveness of the field, and lacking the "fashionable" factor in order to sell millions of albums. I'd have to change my style in order to get a massive following if I wanted to make it big. I'm not sure if I could offer something new... at least in terms of sound. I compose mostly art-rock pieces and experimental ambient tracks, and it would have a niche following, but I doubt I'd be commercial enough to sell a lot of albums. I was thinking on marrying classical music with pop/rock, but I have a hard time sticking in just one genre. It would confuse an audience too much since my music can't be pigeon-holed into one genre. Also, lack of personnel is a problem too... hard to find people my age that would play the same music I do. The lifestyle of a musician wouldn't be conducive for me to raise a family, especially since I prefer to settle down and stay close to home. Not really a fan of lack of privacy either, although in that environment, I'd keep my public life and private life separate.

Despite this, I feel deeply passionate about music and will always have it as a part of my life. I hope that in the future I'll be able to do something music related, though.

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

what's with all the necromancy today?

Junior Member Array

I take music really seriously, I have been playing music since I was 7 and I am not really afraid of being a professional musician. Im just afraid of regreting not doing a more "serious" career when im still living with roomates at the age of 50 lol.