User Tag List

View Poll Results: what makes people basically afraid of being a musician?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • feel lacking talent, or the "it" factor

21 56.76%
  • feel lacking passion, or persistence

12 32.43%
  • afraid of overwhelming expectations they'll be getting

9 24.32%
  • afraid of the amount of spotlight, and thus lack of privacy

7 18.92%
  • fear of lack of money, for daily living needs

19 51.35%
  • not according to standard common society's wants of you

9 24.32%
  • other (please explain below)

8 21.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^It could easily have been an earlier independent recording of the song that existed before the official studio version was recorded.

Then again, the story is probably apocryphal anyway.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    ^It could easily have been an earlier independent recording of the song that existed before the official studio version was recorded.

Then again, the story is probably apocryphal anyway.
    I doubt that was possible. That song was overdubbed so many times that it would have been unrecognizable without the studio technology they had available when recording A Night at the Opera.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I doubt that was possible. That song was overdubbed so many times that it would have been unrecognizable without the studio technology they had available when recording A Night at the Opera.
    Hmm yeah I guess that's probably true. Maybe it was the totally rockin' single-vocal-track acoustic version! That shit really gets the clubs bumpin'!

MBTI
    ISTx

I think it's safe to say that the music business is very unpredictable and there's really no set formula for success. Some get it, some don't. There are things you can do to increase your luck, but what worked for Jane Doe is not guranateed by any means for John Doe. I've heard many artists not get recognized like they should, but then I'll hear utter trash played repeatedly on the radio stations all over the nation. It really is a poker game. You can play it suave, you can keep a straight face, but if the cards aren't right there won't be much happening for you.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I think it's safe to say that the music business is very unpredictable and there's really no set formula for success. Some get it, some don't. There are things you can do to increase your luck, but what worked for Jane Doe is not guranateed by any means for John Doe. I've heard many artists not get recognized like they should, but then I'll hear utter trash played repeatedly on the radio stations all over the nation. It really is a poker game. You can play it suave, you can keep a straight face, but if the cards aren't right there won't be much happening for you.
    This is all valid...from an S perspective. It's very applicable in the short term.

You definitely have to get lucky to be successful in music quickly, but if you're not getting anywhere after several years then it's virtually always a combination of the following:

1) Not being good enough (YET!),
    2) Not promoting your music/making enough of an effort to get exposure for it,
    3) Playing a really weird style that doesn't really appeal to any significant markets, or
    4) Giving up too quickly before you've made a substantial effort to establish yourself (this takes years of active touring and insane self-promotion, in most cases.)

Record industry people, managers, A&R scouts, booking agents, etc. really are out there and they're listening to what goes on in the local scene. If you're not attracting any attention, 99.99999% of the time it's due to lack of musical ability and/or lack of promotion.

Just as with poker, if you're doing everything you should be, the longer you continue doing it the more the probability of not being successful approaches zero. It just takes a long time and a great deal of patience--this is a long run enterprise.

Other. Me, I am afraid I am not disciplined enough to record.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

In order to be truly an artist you must be willing to share your soul, your energy. And being that honest on stage can be terrifying.

Musical theatre for me was easier because I was playing a role. Other musical genres (such as spiritual) rely on my willingness to let people see the real me. And that I think is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    In order to be truly an artist you must be willing to share your soul, your energy. And being that honest on stage can be terrifying.

Musical theatre for me was easier because I was playing a role. Other musical genres (such as spiritual) rely on my willingness to let people see the real me. And that I think is the key.
    Playing a role is so awesome.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

From my own personal experience, the freak outs come with high expectations, and not feeling able to meet them. I never felt like I was doing a good enough job, that I was disappointing others. It's a lot of pressure to "entertain" people.

MBTI
    SEXY

afraid of overwhelming expectations they'll be getting

I'll be having overwhelming expectations myself.

fear of lack of money, for daily living needs

My job is currently the only constant time consuming activity and it's the only thing I would sacrifice to make time for a band.

other (please explain below)

Lack of reliable, competent & compatible musicians around my area. When I still lived with my parents I played in plenty of one time projects with awesome guys who I could be in a band with, but where I live now I hardly know any musicians, and the ones I do know I wouldn't want to be in a band with or they don't like the same music as I do. Even tried finding a band via ads on the internet, but with no success so far.

BTW. I play bass guitar.