User Tag List

123 Last

Default Can you be nice and still get things done?

I say no.

We were having this discussion at home as to whether you can be nice.
    Nice as in pleasant.

nice
    ?
    1. pleasing; agreeable; delightful: a nice visit.
    2. amiably pleasant; kind: They are always nice to strangers.

pleasant

? ?
    1. pleasing, agreeable, or enjoyable; giving pleasure: pleasant news.
    2. (of persons, manners, disposition, etc.) socially acceptable or adept; polite; amiable; agreeable.

I swing from being nice most of the time to being... not nice and getting a lot done .

What do you think?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

You can be respectful, and get things done. However being nice usually implies a selfless element to your behavior, and sacrifice of your resources which I do not think aid in "getting things done" in a workplace environment.

Although it's a great way of getting people to do things for you.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I say yes, but only if everyone in the party is respectable during the getting things done.

Saying "Please accomodate the mission at hand with this." is the same as "Hey, get started on this!" and I don't usually get offended either way, but prefer the former when I talk to people.

The problem is.. people have a tendency to mistake kindness for weakness. I think this sort of attitude is really disgusting.. The kindness is FOR them for their pleasure.. and they're taking advantage of it. Usually these are the same people that get upset when things are not-so-nice later on and expect people to give them opportunities to be selfish.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    You can be respectful, and get things done. However being nice usually implies a selfless element to your behavior, and sacrifice of your resources which I do not think aid in "getting things done" in a workplace environment.

Although it's a great way of getting people to do things for you.

I agree that you should be respectful and nice in getting things done, and I don't see how this is a conflicting situation when you're doing something yourself??

The problem is when the person 'getting things done' tries to encourage other people to help them or also try to get things done. Aside from doing it all yourself, people tend not to like it if someone tells them to, effectively, get on with it. Well I don't mind. But a lot of people do.
    I disagree that it's not selfless though. Most of the time if you're trying to get things done in a work place this is because you're trying to help the greater good of the company/charity/government/wherever the hell you work. It's hardly for personal gain. You're also possibly sacrificing the good feeling that the person you're asking might have had towards you, even if you're as nice as pie, because some people just don't like doing stuff and will see you as being pushy even if you're just asking politely. It also takes effort and a certain courage to be the one to get things moving.

On the other hand, to have the right to be this person you must always work hard yourself and always have things done on time. Or you're a hypocrite and people will hate you however nicely you ask.

MBTI
    LoLz

Sometimes I think I would have to deal with people much less if I had a sufficient amount of knowledge. If you know enough, then you can truly minimize your social contacts. Relying on other people or being accomodating would then be restricted to tasks that you can not accomplish on your own.

Lasting_Pain

I say you can be nice, as long as you know that being nice has its limits.

I say it all depends on what you're trying to get done...

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Being "nice" is a way to put other people at ease, to keep them from getting stirred up. People in general are most efficient when not distracted by emotion. Being nice minimizes emotional responses in others. In this way, being "nice" is the only way to get things done.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I say no.

We were having this discussion at home as to whether you can be nice.
    Nice as in pleasant.

nice
    ?
    1. pleasing; agreeable; delightful: a nice visit.
    2. amiably pleasant; kind: They are always nice to strangers.

pleasant

? ?
    1. pleasing, agreeable, or enjoyable; giving pleasure: pleasant news.
    2. (of persons, manners, disposition, etc.) socially acceptable or adept; polite; amiable; agreeable.

I swing from being nice most of the time to being... not nice and getting a lot done .

What do you think?
    I think you can have both... The two are really non-mutually exclusive. It seems on the surface that if you're nice... you can't "make" people do things. But sometimes the carrot works better than the stick. Be nice and easy to work with so that people will want to get things done. Mutual benefits
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

What do you think?
    i wont answer this lol

but i will say that being nice and getting things done have nothing to do with each other. does this mean that if im an asshole i will get things done?
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1