User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

Default internal brainwashing vs. impersonal emotional evaluation?

So I was taking this cognitive processes test and a question under the Fi section was "choose how you want to feel inside and change how you feel when needed" and you check zero to two boxes depending on how much it represents you or something.

I'm an INTJ with strong Te, Ne, and Ti, closely followed by Ni. I'm not too huge on the S's or F's but the Fi, Si, Se, and Fi follow respectively.
    Some of my being types as an INTP may be due to this. However, I'm confident I'm much more of an INTJ.

(Report is as follows, for any interested:
    Te
    You sustain and grow yourself and those around you long-term through this process. You are at your best, your peak creative and leadership moments when engaged in this process. This is a lead role; it is who you are and what you truly do.
    Ni,Ti,Ne
    You create value, aid others and get things done everyday using this process. You function well here, know all the ins and outs, strengths and limits of this process. You have made this process your own, something personal and unique to you.
    Si,Fi
    You actively use this process in your daily life as a useful tool or helpful aid. You could live without it but use definitely contributes to the what you do and who you are. You can work with others using this process, usually in a support role.
    Se
    You value this process as a helpful aid, even if you do not engage it that often. You trust it contributes to life, particularly when done by others who do the process well. You might recruit others to help you do this process for you.
    Fe
    You notice this process and enjoy when others use it but only occassionally find yourself engaging in it. You may marvel at others who do it very well. It doesn't appear useful to you personally and can annoy you if others use it too much.
    http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/as...velop_old.html)

So anyway, I was wondering: Is it our "true" emotion if it were being manipulated by our brain? I realize its where they come from in the first place, and I've never been one for gut or touchy feelings, but wouldn't they come from subconcious impulses? I guess I'd have to understand the structure of the brain and how it handles emotion overall, but I've always believed emotions were most accurate (i.e. not influenced by any outside factors or inner "brainwashing" to make yourself believe something) when we didn't concentrate on them. Which, come to think of it, may be why I have very few "irrational" ones- I always question why I feel this and if it's what I want to believe or what I do believe.

The time I do feel emotion the strongest however, is in some dreams. Now, this gets into another topic, with Freud's Id, Ego, and Superego thing going on as well. Opinions on this?

I'd also like so see opinions on what exactly is morally sound here. In an extreeme sense, the masses "brainwash" themselvs into believing a variety of things, whether for their happiness or unwitting compliance (i.e. the purpose of marketing, the premise of Orwell's 1984, etc.), but on the other scale those that constantly question their emotions can either weed out the "fake" ones or become entirely emotionless.

Also, does this vary by type? Are there consistant patterns?

Oh, the questoins.
    VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VIVCI
    "By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."

heart on fire

Being at the helm and deciding what emotions will drive your life and which should take a backseat is not the same as allowing one's self to be brainwashed by the media or religion.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Being at the helm and deciding what emotions will drive your life and which should take a backseat is not the same as allowing one's self to be brainwashed by the media or religion.
    Not nessecarily, but I've found (even from personal experience to an extent) that you can "brainwash" yourself- hence the Orwell reference. You tell yourself something too many times and it becomes reality.

50's American housewives are a perfect example of this, which differentiates from simply not considering the validity of an emotion and telling yourself something which is "bad" is "good". (it isn't however, confined to good vs. bad. that was just another example)

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by plaguerat View Post
    Not nessecarily, but I've found (even from personal experience to an extent) that you can "brainwash" yourself- hence the Orwell reference. You tell yourself something too many times and it becomes reality.

50's American housewives are a perfect example of this, which differentiates from simply not considering the validity of an emotion and telling yourself something which is "bad" is "good". (it isn't however, confined to good vs. bad. that was just another example)
    I am not sure what you mean by 50s houswives, I mean there's a lot of stereotyping about what they were like and how they really lived. Many women in the lower segments of society began working outside the home in the world war and never left the workforce, not by choice or liberation but because it was required to feed thir families. Were the housewives lives really as bad, oppressed as it's made out to be? I'd like to ask the women who were forced by necessity to work in factories! Only they can say, they lived it, all we've done is see the propaganda spewed out by both the left and right for various reasons.

I was talking about using judgment to decide which emotions have merit and which do not and I was thinking more of using this ability to try and live up to personal values not really the whole smiling depressives thing.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by 50s houswives, I mean there's a lot of stereotyping about what they were like and how they really lived. Many women in the lower segments of society began working outside the home in the world war and never left the workforce. Was their lives really as bad as it's made out to be? Only they can say, they lived it, all we've done is see the propaganda spewed out by both the left and right for various reasons.

I was talking about using judgment to decide which emotions have merit and which do not and I was thinking more of using this ability to try and live up to personal values not really the whole smiling depressives thing.
    Mostly the steryotype of the 50's housewife. "Smiling depressives" is a nice word.

Well, in a situation where one of your personal values is to say, support people, you obviously must be content with yourself on the inside before you can truly help someone on a deeper level. I get the whole "I love you but I'm dying inside" thing, just not the " I want to make you happy but I'm really depressed so it won't really come from how I truly feel, just from words and manipulation of your feelings" thing.

This basically comes down to a discussion of denial I guess. If something's wrong, do you put it off for later and tell yourself everything is alright in the meantime or adress the thing (emotions, problems, whatever) at the moment? True "emotions" in my opinion come from your "heart" of sorts, (the subconsious, the soul, whatever you call it),form from no outside stimuli- internal or external- and cannot be reasonably deduced.

EDIT: OR Really, to what extent are our emotions affected by our personal or contrived wants or needs? Are they our wants and/or needs? Is it even possible to have a "pure" emotion? (some call this love or something akin to it)
    Last edited by plaguerat; 03-27-2009 at 01:30 AM. Reason: forgot something