User Tag List

12 Last

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Default Do your parents speak to you in third person still?

I don't know about you guys- but my mother will still say to me, "Mommy needs to go to the store real quick" or something like that and then she will catch herself and realize that I am not five years old anymore,lol.

It is funny as hell.

I was wondering if other people's parents still do this.

In what ways do your parents demonstrate to you that you are still five years old to them and are still their "baby"?

Do you find it funny or does it just give you more inspiration to put them in a home?
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

Enneagram
    9w8

My parent never did that at all - apparently she and my biological father didn't even use baby talk when I was an infant. Complete and coherent sentences were the order of the day, and I have not once heard my mother refer to herself in the third person.

It's a shame, though... that'd be bloody funny to hear.

My SJ mother STILL asks me and my brothers over the telephone if we've been eating well enough and if we have clean underwear. The latter question seems to be more directed towards the dirty boys, however.

:sigh:
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

i think, what this demonstrates, is that they don't treat themselves as authentic personalities, with own will. in the light of the conformist stage of consciousness, a person is defined by what she does. it's a mother if the does motherly things. she is not supposed to have a live on her own.

also two parents will present themselves as unit, to deflect personal responsibility for any choice they make. they just do their job. its a parent thing. parents do stuff like that. you are grounded.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

my mom doesn't do this, but my dad definitely does. I think my dad still thinks of me as a child though, my mother knows things that he doesn't.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Silentium View Post
    My parent never did that at all - apparently she and my biological father didn't even use baby talk when I was an infant. Complete and coherent sentences were the order of the day, and I have not once heard my mother refer to herself in the third person.
    Pretty much the same here. Although I'm sure my parents didn't always talked to me like I was a serious adult, if the way their parenting style towards my sister was any indication But I think they made it appropriate for the context.
    Playful while playing=fun.
    Serious while informing or guiding (ala "going to the store"/ "eat your food")= dignified and commands respect.
    Playful while informing= hideously condescending and moronic
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I think when parents ask stupid questions that make you want to pull your hair out like "Are you eating?" or "Do you have clean underwear?" it's because they worry that they didn't do their job well enough in raising you or teaching you those things. I don't think it's something to take personally (altho it's darn hard not to :steam: ) but rather, something to reassure them about with compassion.

deleted

The crazy one does.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    I don't know about you guys- but my mother will still say to me, "Mommy needs to go to the store real quick" or something like that and then she will catch herself and realize that I am not five years old anymore,lol.

It is funny as hell.

I was wondering if other people's parents still do this.

In what ways do your parents demonstrate to you that you are still five years old to them and are still their "baby"?

Do you find it funny or does it just give you more inspiration to put them in a home?
    Lol, my parents never did that.

Actually, I'm pretty independent from my family and my parents' attitudes reflect this (or probably caused it).
    My dad has always treated us like little adults. It was nice to have conversations with him as a child and not be treated as if I didn't know what was going on. Not always good though, like he'd never discipline anyone for underage drinking or smoking.
    My mum used to be quite protective, but then must have got frustrated because of my dad undoing her 'work' because she gave up caring altogether and packed us off one by one to live with my dad. I must really be considered an adult now because she treats me like a fellow woman rather than her daughter. Just goes to show that spending some time apart does wonders for family relationships...

MBTI
    INTP

It's been interesting seeing my mom transform as a person as me and my sister have gotten older. She went from being "mom first, person second" to the other way around, now that sis and I are out of the house. It's quite charming, actually, to see her now. She is beyond happy, and says that she "doesn't feel a day over 30." She acts like it, too -- for example, recently becoming addicted to Facebook.