User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ

Just finished the interviews today. The whole process was actually really long; there were plenty of tours graduate student introductions, lunch, etc. In the end, my two interviews lasted about fifty minutes combined. Overall, my personal assessment is success. However, I will have to wait and see for the final result.

Just wanted to express my gratitude for all of your help. You were right, in essence everything was very simple and straightforward.

MBTI
    INTJ

Wow! Thank you so much for all your help and reassurance everyone! I am now officially a graduate student at California State Fresno!!!

I will be studying cognitive psychology under the supervision of my preferred mentor. I will be starting late August. I feel on top of the world!!!

Now the only thing I have left on my agenda is making my way into the administration. Seriously though, that is of course, my ulterior motive. Any suggestions as to how I can get my foot in the door?

MBTI
    ISXJ

Congrats That's very exciting!

As for getting into the administration, like I mentioned earlier, it might be helpful to get either a TA or RA job (teaching assistantship or research assistantship) within the department. It puts you in close quarters with the faculty, lets you see how things are run, and provides you with some valuable experiences.

Congrats!!!

...and welcome to two years of hell that is an M.Sc. (or MA? dunno, Psychology is the only funny department that straddles the "arts" and "sciences")

And administration (as a secure position) means....four more years, for Ph.D. Then, post-doc, around 2-3 years, then, working for a while, then being up for tenure. YEAHHH!!! Years!!!! I kid.

Do you have some idea about the direction of your thesis project? Like, what specific area of cognitive psychology are you most interested in?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Congrats!!!

...and welcome to two years of hell that is an M.Sc. (or MA? dunno, Psychology is the only funny department that straddles the "arts" and "sciences")

And administration (as a secure position) means....four more years, for Ph.D. Then, post-doc, around 2-3 years, then, working for a while, then being up for tenure. YEAHHH!!! Years!!!! I kid.

Do you have some idea about the direction of your thesis project? Like, what specific area of cognitive psychology are you most interested in?
    I was thinking of taking bits and pieces of research from my mentor, and then translating some of his work, or at least following that direction into a human factors venture.

So I was thinking of looking into judgment bias, optimistic bias, etc. I can maybe look into that and translate it into a thesis regarding human to system performance under stress, etc. There is still so much to consider when contemplating human to system interaction; I certainly did not even skim the ocean full of possibilities with that idea in the beginning.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post
    Congrats That's very exciting!

As for getting into the administration, like I mentioned earlier, it might be helpful to get either a TA or RA job (teaching assistantship or research assistantship) within the department. It puts you in close quarters with the faculty, lets you see how things are run, and provides you with some valuable experiences.
    This could be useful. That and getting my face on the front page of the school newspaper at least once.