User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 16

  1. #1
    Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    970

    Default Conscious of Self,

    Is anyone else not really conscious of yourself? Your own traits, your own quirks, really the "deeper" you? Although you might get called a deep person sometimes and you realize that you are a deep person perhaps, you just cannot talk about that depth very well. You're not conscious of it, you never really think about it.

    Basically: You have trouble talking about yourself in conversations because you really don't know all that much about yourself. Perhaps you know the "facts" about yourself, such as "I prefer this over this" or "I would do this when in this situation." But other than that... not much to say at all?
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

  2. #2
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    For me, it's exactly the opposite. I know myself, my capabilities, and my interests very, very well, but the surface "facts" about me constantly shift or are in opposition to each other, so those are difficult for me to talk about at times.

  3. #3
    a scream in a vortex nanook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,361

    Default

    most of our selfimage is just interpretation anyway. and some people are deliberately overdoing it a little, in order to compensate for insecurity, others are not comfortable with the methodology/language of intra-personal interpretations and have practically no interpretation.

    true self-awareness translates into action. action is among other things character, integrity. you don't have to be able to describe it, to have it. no one can really know exactly, how lacking his character/style of action is. we experience the self awareness, but not the lack of it. unless it becomes sort of apparent, when we bore ourselves to death. it doesn't accurately show up in selfimage (interpreation/description) anyway.

    the individual must not be disconnected from the world. it is not possible to have self awareness in enduring isolation. self is experienced in other. in exchange. response. no amount of intra-personal intelligence (skill of interpretation) can make up for the harm that is done by isolation. the self is relative and dies without response.

    so i am saying that self awareness is highly situational, not just a personal trait. as much as it correlates statistically with the structures of the character (brain), its not identical to them. the structures can only be known during activity.

  4. #4
    Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    For me, it's exactly the opposite. I know myself, my capabilities, and my interests very, very well, but the surface "facts" about me constantly shift or are in opposition to each other, so those are difficult for me to talk about at times.
    I would say - for me - capabilities and interests are "facts." I know that about myself.

    It's just that, I tend to analyze everyone and make theories. Sometimes it's about vibes, intuition. I try to be an understanding person. The thing is, I tend to never analyze "myself." Sure! I analyze my actions and the desires behind those actions. But, myself? Not really. Thus I don't consciously know the depth of my character. And that bugs me.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

  5. #5
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post
    I would say - for me - capabilities and interests are "facts." I know that about myself.
    That perspective certainly makes sense. You've got me thinking about this a bit more.

    For me.. when I say "capabilities," I suppose I mean "capability" overall. I know exactly how I can shape a situation, connect with a given person, or get involved in a problem when I'm introduced to it because I feel that I know my core self well enough.. it comes immediately, and it's something that I don't have to think about.

    I innately recognize my emotions and immediately trace them back to root causes. I can usually "correct" for negative emotional states.. but not always.

    My self-awareness was somewhat of a bad thing for a while, in that I recognized every character weakness that I had at the core. The fact that they even existed brought me down, despite knowing that nobody is perfect. A large part of me was afraid that others could see what I saw in me, or at least that they could read me as well as I could read them. Getting over all of that, though, was a powerful feeling.


    I find that I can list off how all of this self-awareness might appear and manifest itself in the outside world, but I can't really describe what it means internally. The "facts" don't do it justice, and there's really no good way to put it into words.

    I don't know if the deeper self is something that can be analyzed and verbalized, despite the fact that I tend to think about it a lot. I believe it can be consciously known to a certain extent, but, as you say, it's likely more about vibes and intuition.

    And I can completely understand how frustrating that can be.

    But at least it seems that others recognize the deepness of you as an individual, and you can at least trust that it is there.

  6. #6
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    My definition of self is based on a knowledge of my intentions.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  7. #7
    Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    Getting over all of that, though, was a powerful feeling.
    I think I speak for a lot of people when I say: how?
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post
    The thing is, I tend to never analyze "myself." Sure! I analyze my actions and the desires behind those actions. But, myself? Not really. Thus I don't consciously know the depth of my character. And that bugs me.
    You never analyze your "self" but you are "conscious of your self"?

    I identifying with a lot of what you're saying, but not completely. The understanding of the outer self but not the inner self. And with me, I feel that I try to understand the inner self (which you are saying you realize you don't? Or am I missing your meaning?), but I still can't quite see what it is I am.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  9. #9
    Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    You never analyze your "self" but you are "conscious of your self"?
    Well I was saying that I analyze my actions all the time, the outer me if you will. But I never analyze myself, my inner me.

    I try to figure my inner self out as well, that's why I made this thread really, I'm just not good at it... I am trying to see if people relate, trying to see if people have figured themselves out.

    Maybe I just don't know a approach to figuring my inner self out. It just doesn't come very natural to me.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

  10. #10
    Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    My definition of self is based on a knowledge of my intentions.
    I've never thought of that before.
    That is actually a very good and reasonable answer in my opinion.
    Hmm, my self is a knowledge of my desires and intentions.
    That's something I could definitely "buy into."
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

Similar Threads

  1. Why do you have deficit of self-esteem?
    By Virtual ghost in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 03:25 AM
  2. In lieu of self control...
    By Martoon in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 07:17 PM
  3. Pro's/Con's of Self-Identification w/ Groups
    By Totenkindly in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-24-2008, 08:56 AM
  4. Flow: loss of self-awareness, better performance
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-17-2007, 08:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO