User Tag List

First 12

deleted

I am what I do, who I influence, what I create. I am a reflection of time.

So is this guy.

ThatGirl

When someone asks me who I am I simply contort my body into a strange pattern and yell "SEE!"

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Very cool thread idea, and a good question.

for me.. I am sorta in-betweeny on it all. When people ask who I am, I used to have no idea. I knew what I liked, but not why, or who I was friends with, but not what attracted me to those people. I knew what I wanted, but not at all what I needed.

I tend to, in comparison to years and years before, talk about myself SO much now that I get nervous I seem conceited. A while back I purposefully put myself outside of my comfort zone, stopped being the introverted person I was pretending to be, and realized that the more I discovered myself through vocalizing my thoughts, the healthier I became.

It's amazing how much you're forced to think about your own thoughts when you have to translate what's floating around in your mind into actual words that other people can hear and understand. To find the correct words for everything, puts a lot into perspective.

I forgot to add in: The time I realized I needed to do that was when I was making poor decisions for myself. "Why not?" I'd always say. I had no idea what I really believed in, or had a stance on anything, a dangerous thing for any human being, and trust me when I say I've had more than my fair share of having to pay for that. I've only barely started a long, winding uphill road, and the air keeps getting fresher the harder I work.

I realized when I felt ashamed to ever say something out loud to other people.. that I shouldn't be doing it in the first place. It wasn't until I went searching for myself that I found out what caused me shame, and what judgements I had already on myself.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I forgot to add in: The time I realized I needed to do that was when I was making poor decisions for myself. "Why not?" I'd always say. I had no idea what I really believed in, or had a stance on anything, a dangerous thing for any human being, and trust me when I say I've had more than my fair share of having to pay for that. I've only barely started a long, winding uphill road, and the air keeps getting fresher the harder I work.
    Agreed, especially the bolded portion. I've only recently made that same uphill spiral in some regards, and it is damn difficult, especially when your wants and needs are not exactly in synch with the greater good. It is very difficult, for me at least, at times to decide on a particular issue when the concept of selfishness rears its head. How much selfishness is OK? When does it become unacceptable? Can get gritty...

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I realized when I felt ashamed to ever say something out loud to other people.. that I shouldn't be doing it in the first place. It wasn't until I went searching for myself that I found out what caused me shame, and what judgements I had already on myself.
    Hmmm...I don't know if I caught this one. I say what's on my mind and am OK with it 99.99% of the time. If I screw up and put foot in mouth then I can back pedal and say "Hey, I was thinking out loud, my bad, I retract that..." and move on. But shame...hmmm...can you elaborate please? If not no big deal, just curious.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

There was a reflective sculpture I saw years ago that twisted and re-reflected in on itself a thousand times. It struck me as a metaphor for the self. The images below provide a similar metaphor. I mentioned the role of intention as a way of defining self. This is in part a result of perceiving of the self in the following manner. We are a reflection of our environment and genetic heritage. Down to the detailed nuance of our intonation of words and movement of our wrists, we are fundamentally redundant. It is only our particular vantage point that defines what is reflected and how that original image is distorted when it becomes our surface. We further reflect each new distortion we encounter in each other. The question of intention is one that explores our ability to define to what degree these encounters are reflected back. When we encounter harm, do we reflect it back directly or does it join our surface to another plane in which that same harm is reflected? Do we then become the individual who caused the harm or do we connect with a thousand others who received the harm? We have no control over the images outside us that join our surface, but perhaps our intention can influence the angle of these reflections and how much of our surface embraces it?

Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    I innately recognize my emotions and immediately trace them back to root causes. I can usually "correct" for negative emotional states.. but not always.

My self-awareness was somewhat of a bad thing for a while, in that I recognized every character weakness that I had at the core. The fact that they even existed brought me down, despite knowing that nobody is perfect. A large part of me was afraid that others could see what I saw in me, or at least that they could read me as well as I could read them. Getting over all of that, though, was a powerful feeling.
    Let me expound upon this a bit.

I guess a large part of me getting over this actually came from maturity, therapy, and my experiences in helping other people, serving as mediator and counselor to friends and groups. As I got out into the world and people let their guard down around me, I realized more and more that everyone has their weaknesses.. but they're still at least portraying contentedness. I just set out to do the same.

I also realized that the people who matter are the ones who value you despite (or even because of) your imperfections.

Where am I now? Just yesterday, I gave a talk about one's identity, perceptions of themselves, and perceptions of other people.. and I shared my own struggles with anxiety and depression as a catalyst for the discussion. Nobody saw me as a weak individual as a result, and many congratulated me afterward and opened up to me with their own problems. It's a powerful feeling.